Latest UK Software Charts (PS3 launch numbers)

To be fair, I think its selling OK, though Edge gave it 4/10!

But Sony needs the big hitters--Killzone, Heavenly Sword and above-all GT5.

4/10??:???: Did they say why? I was under the impression it was a solid title with good/great graphics. Did they screw up online or multiplayer or something?

4/10??:???: Did they say why? I was under the impression it was a solid title with good/great graphics. Did they screw up online or multiplayer or something?

They said the handling was crap.

But then I've read quotes from people who've played every F1 game out there say that its actually very realistic and that the overall game is very good if you take off driving aids. I havent played it, so I cant say, but certainly its graphics are excellent, with the rain-effects looking particularly good.

He said "F1 is still kind of a niche market", hence it's not going to be a system seller no matter how high the reviews. You couldn't pay me to play an F1 game.

BTW The reviews are fine, averaging a 77% at gamerankings, that puts it near RR6 and NFS:C.

They said the handling was crap.

But then I've read quotes from people who've played every F1 game out there say that its actually very realistic and that the overall game is very good if you take off driving aids. I havent played it, so I cant say, but certainly its graphics are excellent, with the rain-effects looking particularly good.

He said "F1 is still kind of a niche market", hence it's not going to be a system seller no matter how high the reviews. You couldn't pay me to play an F1 game.

BTW The reviews are fine, averaging a 77% at gamerankings, that puts it near RR6 and NFS:C.

Odd. I pictured F1 to be more popular in EU. Game looked good to me. :???:

I agree with the general sentiment though that Sony needs to get some consistant quality titles out and some killer AAA titles to sell people the system in the first place.

Odd. I pictured F1 to be more popular in EU. Game looked good to me. :???:

I agree with the general sentiment though that Sony needs to get some consistant quality titles out and some killer AAA titles to sell people the system in the first place.

They sell better than Nascar games sell here, again niche means the fan base is small but loyal. I think the PS3 titles are at least as good as the 360 were at the same time, great launch window games are always sparse.

I think the EU is missing Oblivion for unknown reasons, it's release would make a lot of people happy.

I believe the F1 game was too hardcore for many people. At least thats the impression I get from the reviews.

I believe the F1 game was too hardcore for many people. At least thats the impression I get from the reviews.

Why games like Gran Turismo, GTR or Forza Motorsport get good reviews then?I only played demo of F1, so i won't score it myself, but I could see why reviewers don't give it 9/10 all across the board...

Last edited by a moderator:

I think for most Europeans the game wasn't hardcore enough. At least for me, the driving model is still disappointing. Sure, it's tough to win on the highest difficulty level and so on, but with all aids off, the game still drives disappointingly easy. I think the game is plenty accessible in that respect. This is by the way also the impression you may get if you limit your review reading to European reviews.

Yeah, I mean the Geoff Hammond games on the PC are technically excellent, but its still nowhere near say, Burnout or GT in terms of sales.

With F1, it tends to be a love/hate thing. Some people wont even watch F1, never mind buy an F1 game.

I know what Chef's saying though, it is much bigger here than in the US. From what I hear, its one of the better PS3 launch games, and a good indicator of what Cell's SPE's can do to help RSX according to the games development lead. But like I say, Sony and its partners need to get a move on (though I'm sure they already know that).

Crammond ... And I do think they would be a great hit on the PS3 as well. Or else that great Ubisoft one for the 3Dfx, I loved that too.

It is a solid title, if you like F1 games there isn´t anything out there that comes close to the sense of speed and looks in this game and the handling seems well balanced between realistis and possible. But then, this is a F1 game with all the flaws that one of the most popular sports has as well :) In other words, if you don´t like F1 games no way in hell should you buy a F1 game.

I'm a huge fan of F1 in general. I watch every race and pay to see the races live.

F1:CE is way too arcadey for me but that doesn't even matter, I'm always up for a good arcade F1 game if it has the licensing done right. I'm definitely not interested in "rewriting the 2006 season"

I want to drive as Heikki Kovalainen on Renault! I want to drive as Kimi Räikkönen with Ferrari.

I can't do that with F1:CE :(

It is a solid title, if you like F1 games there isn´t anything out there that comes close to the sense of speed and looks in this game and the handling seems well balanced between realistis and possible. But then, this is a F1 game with all the flaws that one of the most popular sports has as well :) In other words, if you don´t like F1 games no way in hell should you buy a F1 game.

rant
I don't understand why review sites have people review games which they are obviously not fans of. It seems Edge did this with F1, and Eurogamer did the same with RFOM. I've seen the same demonstrated many times over the years but these are the two most recent and obvious cases in my opinion. It's fine if they want to have a counterbalance to the review and give the opinion of casual gamer that wasn't necessarily interested in the genre but these people would be in the minority for interest in the game anyway. How many people would buy a bowling game if they didn't like bowling to begin with? It's rediculous. A 2nd opinion would be good if they want to add the opinion of one not interested in the genre but the main reviewer should at least be interested in the genre before reviewing a game. - IMO
/rant

Having said that, yes I was under the impression F1 racing was very popular in Europe along with Football (soccer).

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had my first experiance with ps3 in real life and I must say im dead dissapointed. Here I am in this fancy electronics shop looking at a big LCD screen wich must have cost 1500 euro (I came home with a 21'' crt) and a PS3 with F1. A total of almost 2200 euro. Constantly hearing you have to see the ps3 on a HD screen to experiance its goodness I picked up the controller and had a go at the game. My first impression was that nobody in is right mind is gonna pay 2200 euro for a game that looks like this. The track looks empty and boring, nothing special. The cars look good, although not marvelous. But the lighting on the cars is just horrible. The cars looked like mirrors, shiny shiny shiny. Also I got the idea that the cars didnt really connect to the road.

So my first impression wasnt good. But I though that it probably was due to the F1 game not being the best looking game. So I waited a bit and the ps3 started to play a motorstorm video. Now im going to experiance next gen for sure I though. Wrong. It looked nice, everything was smooth, had enough detail dont get me wrong, but it just didnt do anything to me. All I though was: this looks kinda nice, but not for 2200 euro. I couldnt help thinking that compering motorstorm to Exite truck on Wii didnt really make all that big of a differance in gfx. And exite truck isnt even a game where alot of time is spend on.

All in all now I really wonder what the whole next gen gfx hype is about if this is it. Especially if you've been used to pc gfx ps3 gfx just dont look very impressive. Even less concidering the price of a ps3 and the HDtv you apperantly need.

rant
I don't understand why review sites have people review games which they are obviously not fans of. It seems Edge did this with F1, and Eurogamer did the same with RFOM. I've seen the same demonstrated many times over the years but these are the two most recent and obvious cases in my opinion. It's fine if they want to have a counterbalance to the review and give the opinion of casual gamer that wasn't necessarily interested in the genre but these people would be in the minority for interest in the game anyway. How many people would buy a bowling game if they didn't like bowling to begin with? It's rediculous. A 2nd opinion would be good if they want to add the opinion of one not interested in the genre but the main reviewer should at least be interested in the genre before reviewing a game. - IMO
/rant

Having said that, yes I was under the impression F1 racing was very popular in Europe along with Football (soccer).

It seems that may have been the case, because people have told em the Edge reviewer 'doesnt know what they're talking about', and that F1 perhaps deserved a 7 or even an 8. I guess that its not that surprising because Edge is notorious for giving tough review scores--God of War 2 got a 7. Meanwhile Games, another multiformat magazine gave it 10/10. Edge is very respected in the industry though, but I take your point-why get an uninterested reviewer?

Btw, its ridiculous ;)

In terms of graphics however, the only next-gen racing that looks better than F1 CE IMO, is Motorstorm, which looked amazing on the Bravia in the store I was in last week, and garnered a lot of attention.

Just had my first experiance with ps3 in real life and I must say im dead dissapointed. Here I am in this fancy electronics shop looking at a big LCD screen wich must have cost 1500 euro (I came home with a 21'' crt) and a PS3 with F1. A total of almost 2200 euro. Constantly hearing you have to see the ps3 on a HD screen to experiance its goodness I picked up the controller and had a go at the game. My first impression was that nobody in is right mind is gonna pay 2200 euro for a game that looks like this. The track looks empty and boring, nothing special. The cars look good, although not marvelous. But the lighting on the cars is just horrible. The cars looked like mirrors, shiny shiny shiny. Also I got the idea that the cars didnt really connect to the road.

So my first impression wasnt good. But I though that it probably was due to the F1 game not being the best looking game. So I waited a bit and the ps3 started to play a motorstorm video. Now im going to experiance next gen for sure I though. Wrong. It looked nice, everything was smooth, had enough detail dont get me wrong, but it just didnt do anything to me. All I though was: this looks kinda nice, but not for 2200 euro. I couldnt help thinking that compering motorstorm to Exite truck on Wii didnt really make all that big of a differance in gfx. And exite truck isnt even a game where alot of time is spend on.

All in all now I really wonder what the whole next gen gfx hype is about if this is it. Especially if you've been used to pc gfx ps3 gfx just dont look very impressive. Even less concidering the price of a ps3 and the HDtv you apperantly need.

MotorStorm = Excite Truck...joke post?

Please be joke post.

MotorStorm = Excite Truck...joke post?

Please be joke post.

I took it as more of an "angry for spending too much" post. Personally, I could see his point and If I bought an HDTV only for gaming, I'd be dissapointed as well.

Good thing is the HDTV can be used for much more than just gaming so hopefully T.O.C. gets good usage out of his HDTV for movies etc. as well.

btw - Thanks Vic :)

rant
/rant

What you have to remember with Edge is that they mark on a different scale to most magazines and review sites. Most people tend to consider 7/7.0/70% to represent an average score for a game. Edge doesn't work like that, 5 is average. 9s are pretty rare - how many other publications can say that they only hand out 1 or 2 90% ratings in every 3 months of reviews? Eurogamer, I don't have too much experience with, but they seem to have a similar ethos when reviewing games.

Another thing Edge seem to look for is something different, a desire to improve the genre. If a game fits it's remit well, but does things by the numbers, it's average, it's nothing exceptional. Edge score it accordingly. I don't know How Rfom played, or GOW2, but it sounds like while both did nothing wrong, neither did much to advance the art very much, and that is why they scored what they did. As for the F1 game, well 4 is obviously below average, but you shouldn't equate it to 40%, just like 7 is not like the usual 70%. If we consider 70% to be average, and Edge consider 5 to be average, a 4 would be around 60% in normal terms, which doesn't sound that bad compared to the average scores it is getting at that point.

I will say now that personally i prefer Edges reviews to most others. Lack of funds recently have meant it's a luxury i've done without, but i had a subscription for several years to it, and I often found their reviews very fair and well considered. I would just slap 2/20% on to any mark they give for anything below a 7, and 1/10% for anything 7 and above and you'll get pretty close to the score most people would give

I couldnt help thinking that compering motorstorm to Exite truck on Wii didnt really make all that big of a differance in gfx. And exite truck isnt even a game where alot of time is spend on.

Mmmkay ... For me, playing the Coyote track in first person view, among 11 other cars falling to pieces and kicking up dust and mud, with great sound, physics, (motion) controls, and so on, and then the awesome sunlight lighting it all up (inlcuding, PGR3 style, the dust and mud on your windscreen), is one of the graphically most impressive experiences I've had so far. You really have to give this game a shot. This game looks great even on SD tvs, imho.

I took it as more of an "angry for spending too much" post. Personally, I could see his point and If I bought an HDTV only for gaming, I'd be dissapointed as well.

Good thing is the HDTV can be used for much more than just gaming so hopefully T.O.C. gets good usage out of his HDTV for movies etc. as well.

btw - Thanks Vic :)

Yeah I could get that, but he's going slightly OTT there.

Anyway, I got a PS3 for launch, don’t have it with me right now since I got exams so a friend of mine has taken it away for the next month (it is for the better).

MotorStorm, first time I played it I was disappointed. Hugely disappointed. The intro was amazing, hype inducing, but playing the game...meh. Take me on a rollercoaster damn it!

Then I tried online, it just grew on me. Not OMG wow what an experience, but an above average racer. I like it, bit barebones but it’s OK. I’m racing freak so it will get time from me. I only drive hood-view and motion controlling via dual-shake are surprisingly easy to use when driving like this.

Friend of mine also got a PS3 as well and he got Resistance. Super-meh. Then again I detest FPS so what did I expect?

First WOW experience was F1. No question whatsoever. Not the replays, but in-game. This game is such an enigma, how can the replays look so underwhelming but in-game look so fantastic? First time I was satisfied with an F1 game since F1 ’97, the last great console F1 game.

First thing I did was switch off the driving aids. Imola, dusk, wow.

GT:HD, yes nice real unreality graphics but the 30fps replays annoy me. Still this was free and the online ranking system is enough for me to love this.

The console itself...sooo quiet. I have to admit first thing I did was watch Black Hawk Down on Blu-Ray. It looked so nice on our X-Series. The video thumbnails in the XMB are just joyous. PS3 looked very ugly to me in pictures (except standing) but in person it’s a very imposing, shiny pretty thing. Feels expensive. Overall I am OK with my purchase. Not completely enamoured like I was with my PS2 when I first got it, but happy nonetheless.

I was told not to give our PSN ID out since it’s a shared one but what the hell: suzukastar. Feel free to add me.

Would I recommend it to anyone right now? If you like racers and you want the best HD movies then sure. If not, don’t bother yet.

Back