Latest UK Software Charts (PS3 launch numbers)

Because I can't see people buying more than one copy of the same game;)

then they are otaku then. they buy one game for collection, other to play, which is pointless imo because you buy games to play not to collect

its their weird hobby, you can't say anything about that :devilish:

If the story contained numbers, it wouldn't be such a waste of time to click on the link.
To spare other participants the trouble: the article repeats the well-publicized figure of 165k in two days as reference, and states that now the UK sales have dropped by 82 per cent.
How many units have sold in what time remains undisclosed however :rolleyes:
29700 for every two business days doesn't sound so bad, but I'm sure the authors wanted to imply something else entirely.

If the story contained numbers, it wouldn't be such a waste of time to click on the link.
To spare other participants the trouble: the article repeats the well-publicized figure of 165k in two days as reference, and states that now the UK sales have dropped by 82 per cent.
29700 for every two business days doesn't sound so bad, but I'm sure the authors wanted to imply something else entirely.

QFT

What did they actually EXPECT the PS3 to continue selling hundreds of thousands of units each day in the UK..?

*tut tut*

Silly boys.. :p

30k units a week seems pretty decent for the UK (not taking into consideration closeness to launch, since we aren't supply constrained). That's about 120k a month and I believe relatively equal to weekly sales in US.

Not sure how you get 29,700 units for every two days though, unless you're saying that the sales for the entire launch week was 577,500.

30k units a week seems pretty decent for the UK (not taking into consideration closeness to launch, since we aren't supply constrained). That's about 120k a month and I believe relatively equal to weekly sales in US..

Relatively it would be much higher (UK pop is ~60m, compared to US pop of ~300m) - i.e. 5 times smaller with the same sales of the US.

30k in a week for the UK is very good indeed, so I wouldn't expect sales to sustain at that rate.

Last edited by a moderator:
30k units a week seems pretty decent for the UK (not taking into consideration closeness to launch, since we aren't supply constrained). That's about 120k a month and I believe relatively equal to weekly sales in US.

Not sure how you get 29,700 units for every two days though, unless you're saying that the sales for the entire launch week was 577,500.
I'm not. I'm criticising the lack of precision and substance in the article. How am I supposed to know what period they refer to? Why not two days, if their reference period was two days? Of course that would produce absurdly high numbers.
I agree that the per-week calculation is much more reasonable. If gibiz wanted to release updated sales numbers, they did just about the poorest possible job at it. Zero substance, pure gloom.

How do you know PS3 sells 60k a week in USA?:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's more along 30k a week in February. NPD's=~120k PS3.

Not sure what Titanio meant..unless he's somehow prorating the entire PS3sales rate since launch in US.

BTW, some little tidbits I know of UK sales:

It's the biggest EU market for games.

It's sometimes generally considered as 1/3 of EU sales. AKA, if you know UK sales, you can multiply by 3 to get a rough guess of total EU sales. However, of course that could be an incredibly rough estimate.

Xb360, I remember them stating in late fall I believe that they would reach 1million in UK in 07. However, that was most likely a shipped figure. Also I cant remember if it included the sales since launch (meaning Nov/Dec 06). Probably not, just calender 07.

Xb360, I remember them stating in late fall I believe that they would reach 1million in UK in 07. However, that was most likely a shipped figure. Also I cant remember if it included the sales since launch (meaning Nov/Dec 06). Probably not, just calender 07.

360 sold about 900k in UK up to 31st of December, 2006 from what i know (150k + 750k it seems)

which seems quite impressive for me.

Yeah, it's more along 30k a week in February. NPD's=~120k PS3.

Not sure what Titanio meant..unless he's somehow prorating the entire PS3sales rate since launch in US.

Sorry, I was ballparking 200k/month in the US, but lately it has indeed been much less. Which just puts the UK figure for that week more sharply into perspective. Post has been edited.

It's sometimes generally considered as 1/3 of EU sales. AKA, if you know UK sales, you can multiply by 3 to get a rough guess of total EU sales. However, of course that could be an incredibly rough estimate.

Sony reckons it's 1/4 of their market, but they may be considering the slightly wider PAL market as opposed to the European market. Going by the launch weekend figures given by Sony, it accounts for over a quarter but less than third.

Excuse me, but holding place 2 and 3 on the software chart with a "60%" drop in sales, doesn´t that indicate than someone is buying PS3 games?

Excuse me, but holding place 2 and 3 on the software chart with a "60%" drop in sales, doesn´t that indicate than someone is buying PS3 games?

Well, to me it indicates just how low software sales are at this time of year, and that you don't need to sell a great deal in order to chart.

There's such a small range of software, that surely a sharp decrease was to expected? I imagine most owners just got 2 or 3 games last week.

That in mind, Sony badly needs to get some strong games out soon IMO. There's nothing compelling that is exclusive beyond Motorstorm and MP Resistance. VF5 isnt that popular here, and F1 is still kind of a niche market.

I mean when are Lair, Heavenly Sword and Warhawk likely to be released?

A lot of very important titles from Sony just keeps pushing back. WarHawk was one of the expected launch titles and is being delayed for almost a year. How many times must we say "Sony better get their act together"? :mad:

A lot of very important titles from Sony just keeps pushing back. <...> How many times must we say "Sony better get their act together"? :mad:
It's worth noting that most of these titles aren't Sony titles at all but rather from 3rd party developers.

Warhawk is an exception but the bulk of PS3 titles in development aren't being made by Sony's studios.
Peace.

There's such a small range of software, that surely a sharp decrease was to expected? I imagine most owners just got 2 or 3 games last week.

That in mind, Sony badly needs to get some strong games out soon IMO. There's nothing compelling that is exclusive beyond Motorstorm and MP Resistance. VF5 isnt that popular here, and F1 is still kind of a niche market.

I mean when are Lair, Heavenly Sword and Warhawk likely to be released?

I'm surprised F1 isn't doing well. I thought it was a popular sport in EU? The game seemed to get good reviews and looked nice enough...:???:

A lot of very important titles from Sony just keeps pushing back. WarHawk was one of the expected launch titles and is being delayed for almost a year. How many times must we say "Sony better get their act together"? :mad:

Apparently they have more first-party games in development than MS and Nintendo put together, but looks like we'll have to wait for the fruits of their labour :mad:

I'm surprised F1 isn't doing well. I thought it was a popular sport in EU? The game seemed to get good reviews and looked nice enough...:???:

To be fair, I think its selling OK, though Edge gave it 4/10!

But Sony needs the big hitters--Killzone, Heavenly Sword and above-all GT5.

Back