Last book you read?

blakjedi

Veteran
I'm always torn between paper or pixels when it comes to my reading material...

Last book I read: Rise of Endymion - damn good book imho.

Any online books of value? Now that the console forum is closed... :devilish: I'm bored... :p

BTW a very good broadband story (no reading) is the Little Ninja. Go here: www.ninjai.com very cool.

I'm on my 10th book since february. Never read this much. Ever.

Last truly remarkable book was The Sparrow. A tour de force, but worth it.

3 weeks ago i started the Potter series, i am now almost finished with book 5 and will start the new one this weekend i guess.

The latest Potter, just a few nights ago.

I might pick up the minstar trilogy, as I really enjoyed the Nights Dawn Trilogy.

Thanks folks... im always looking for interesting things to read and learn about. I'll look up the books you folks mentioned...

The other day I was reading up on theories about the End of Universe(see wikipedia). Apparently the "heat death" theory and the "cold death" theory are not opposite scenarios as their names would suggest... :?

I'm about halfway throught "The Long Green Mile" & I just finished Lord Dunsany's "The King of Elfland's Daughter"

I'm thinking of diving into Pratchetts' Disc World books next.

The Union on Trial: The Political Journals of Judge William Barclay Napton 1829-1882 (U Mo Press). Which was fun, as I got minor props in the acks.

Actually, it woulda been fun anyway, as I'm weird that way. :LOL:

RussSchultz said:
I might pick up the minstar trilogy, as I really enjoyed the Nights Dawn Trilogy.
Weird that I find two people having read Hamilton in this short thread, because the lastest book I read was his Pandora's Star...

It's very very good, if you can just make it through the initial 55-ish percent of the book when you still don't have any fricken idea what it's going to be about... :D It takes a very long time to wind up, not unlike his previous books, but this time he sort of takes it to an extreme. After that though, it's open throttle all the way to the end.

It's really really good, very high-classy scifi. And being british, he's more open with radical ideas such as, well, sex n stuff ;), compared to conceited american authors who are too scared to write about erect penises and such. :D (Though I'm not actually sure there are any in this particular book... There are in his previous ones tho. :LOL:)

Finally got around to Good Omens by Pratchett/Gaiman, and am now reading Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen.

I find that I need a bit of humour to both fantasy, crime-fiction and dramatic novels these days. Both straight thrillers and those humongous fantasy tomes that I used to plow through a couple of yeras ago doesn't do it for me these days.

RussSchultz said:

I think the three Mindstar books are closer to Richard Morgan's Takishi Kovacs books in style than the ultra-dense, mega-multi-threaded Night's Dawn books. The Mindstar (or Greg Mandel) books are almost like sci-fi thriller/detective stories (depending which one you are reading), but they very evocative, really painting a deep picture of Hamilton's near future world with some great characters. They are all real page-turners, and I've enjoyed them over and over since they came out years ago.

And I can't recommend Richard Morgan's books enough. All of them are great.

Baen Books Free Online Library
Excellent online library of free books published by Baen. They are books you normally would have to buy.
Some good Sci-Fi - check out David Weber, if you aren't familiar with him yet.

Oh - I'm currently re-reading the Dune series.
I like em.

La mort de César, by Voltaire.
I almost never, ever, read contemporary literature.

Back