L.A. Noire from Rockstar

Last night I got into a gun fight. When I began to walk away afterward, suddenly an unprompted Cole bend over to pick up a gun and put it on his head. It actually wasn't a gun but his hat that was shot off during the gun fight.

It's little touches like these. :)

I have "finally" beaten the game.It was definitely great experience although gameplay elements like driving and shooting are not on R* level.There comes a point in the game where it can get a bit boring but it picks up again right after that.Oh,and I don't really like Cole as character,actually he got on my nerves quite a lot of time but game itself is great and something I haven't yet experienced in my gaming life :smile:

Last night I got into a gun fight. When I began to walk away afterward, suddenly an unprompted Cole bend over to pick up a gun and put it on his head. It actually wasn't a gun but his hat that was shot off during the gun fight.

It's little touches like these. :)

Rockstar games tend to have a lot of small touches that go unnoticed. It's nice to see a lot of that same care had been taken with LA Noire. I'm kind of hoping the following game, whatever it is, will use the Rage engine. Not that this game doesn't look good enough, but I'd like to see all of the physics, weather, day/night and other things the rockstar titles are known for. I'm sure the facial capture will have some impact on what other features they can put to use, in terms of resources and lighting etc, but I'm hoping they could work it in somehow.

I have "finally" beaten the game.It was definitely great experience although gameplay elements like driving and shooting are not on R* level.There comes a point in the game where it can get a bit boring but it picks up again right after that.Oh,and I don't really like Cole as character,actually he got on my nerves quite a lot of time but game itself is great and something I haven't yet experienced in my gaming life :smile:

Can you be a bad cop ,someone who uses brutal methods etc.. ? Or your actions are predetermined ?
I mean , let's say i want to be "bad lieutenant" , or "Dirty Harry" :LOL:

Can you be a bad cop ,someone who uses brutal methods etc.. ? Or your actions are predetermined ?
I mean , let's say i want to be "bad lieutenant" , or "Dirty Harry" :LOL:

No. You lose score for injuring civilians and smashing stuff. When you're interviewing people, there is only one correct response that will get you additional information and a better case. Some of the responses when you doubt or accuse the person of lying are harsh, but you can't just do it all the time and get good information and get a good case score. Also, you can't go around beating people up for information, or pull a gun a guy and someone and make him talk. You have to play through the interview segments, which are like a cutscene with interactive elements. The game really is not like an RPG, in that you don't make choices that allow for multiple solutions to the same problem. There is the right way and the less right way.

of course you can't compare if PS3 is mandatory install. If it is installed on 360 HDD I'm wiling to bet all of those "issues" are resolved.

these game reviewers and their short-cut reporting. Just like LOT never installs a 360 game and then compares loading of textures to a mandatory install on PS3.

ridonculous

On PS3 it only installs 1.3GB but for 360, you have to install all the content so for all three disks it comes out to 20GB so it's not exactly the same thing. Still, according to LoT both versions were identical when it comes to performance and loading even though they didn't install it on 360 but did do that 1.3GB install on PS3. PS3 does have SSAO though so they made it the "winner".

On PS3 it only installs 1.3GB but for 360, you have to install all the content so for all three disks it comes out to 20GB so it's not exactly the same thing. Still, according to LoT both versions were identical when it comes to performance and loading even though they didn't install it on 360 but did do that 1.3GB install on PS3.

Wait a sec... That can not be true. If you have a 20GB HDD, that means around 13.x GB available after formatting and system usage, there's no way possible to install the game and play that way. I'm fairly certain you can install just a single disc only and play the game that way.

The game doesn't require the HDD, so it'd be kind of hard to simultaneously require the content from all the discs in order to run. :p

yep. you can do one disc at a time. the game is structured in a way that the discs are played through in order without swapping back and forth.

On PS3 it only installs 1.3GB but for 360, you have to install all the content so for all three disks it comes out to 20GB so it's not exactly the same thing. Still, according to LoT both versions were identical when it comes to performance and loading even though they didn't install it on 360 but did do that 1.3GB install on PS3. PS3 does have SSAO though so they made it the "winner".

Yeah. It's always bugged me how Lens routinely compares PS3 games with mandatory installs, to uninstalled 360 games, for their loading time benchmarks. Too me perhaps they should install the 360 game, since thats optional, to make it fair. Or at least give us both installed and uninstalled times on 360 for comparison. I guess then if you want to get nitpicky, to make it truly "apples to apples" you would have to compare the install times themselves, since 360 games might be installing more data than the ~4GB install PS3 games often do, which would then make the comparisons back to being unfair to PS3, unless the 360 can install say, 7GB as fast as PS3 can install 4 GB, or whatever, you see my point. Sigh :LOL:

Too be fair they claim not to take into account multiple discs (such as LA Noire's case) either against the 360, although thats a more rare scenario. I'm sure one can make a case getting up to switch multiple discs when required can be considered part of loading. And a very nasty one.

BTW, can you install all LA Noire discs and just play off of disc one only on 360? Or do you have to switch discs even when all three are installed?

Anyway for my money from the screens I've seen the game is quite gorgeous. Another game that would have really boggled my mind had I seen it in 2006 when these consoles hadn't been pushed nearly as far.

They mentioned it many times, they're doing their comparisons "out of the box" (also, not everyone have HDD in 360, or even flash drives/USB HDD) so if there is no mandatory install they're not doing it - that's why PS3 version of Tekken 6 lost horribly in loading comparison for example (optional install). I think they should just add "360 after install" column.

Last edited by a moderator:
Word of warning if peeps are dumb enough to visit N4G these days (yes that includes me), The games ending is being spoilt in a lot of the articles.

Loading time averages for the X360 version should include the time it takes to swap the disks too! ;)

I can't wait to play this tonight! :)

bought it today for PS3...
is it true?? does this game blow up my ol' Europe launch PS3??
Any game might blow up your PS3 if it's on its last legs. I don't know that LA Noire is going to be more apt to do that, and without real numbers of failures : players, there's no way of knowing, but it's improbable.

Every time a big title with a lot of hype launches, the amount of " *insert game* killed my console"- topics rises exponentially as well. Killzone 2 killed the PS3, so did both Uncharted 2 and FFXIII. Same way Dead Rising, Gears of War, Oblivion and Halo3 were supposedly designed to kill Xboxes.
It's an old hat.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I've had a little trouble when interrogating people. So I've decided to share an (embarrassing) pro-tip with you fine folks:

When you're interrogating someone, try to analyze their facial expressions and movements close, and then try to mimic them yourself. No seriously. Do exactly what they're doing and see how it makes you feel. Does it make you feel like you're being devious? Does it make you feel like you're trying to hiding something? Perhaps it makes you feel like you're just frightened of the police and the suspect.

I know it sounds crazy (I'm going to catch so much crap for this but screw it), but it helped me improve my questioning!

Back