L.A. Noire from Rockstar

OK, sorry if this has been answered - but how 'open world' is this game? I read that you can walk around but no 'real' interaction - but then I read elsewhere that you can do side-missions...does anyone know!?

The story must be linear since the disc swapping should be done only "once" pr disk. But that doesn´t mean that side missions and the world as such can´t be open.

I think the main character has at least one promotion, from street cop to detective or something, so that would be a good place to separate the story into distinct chapters. Perhaps there's another similar turning point later on to accommodate another break.

Consider that most of the data is the facial system's streamed textures. The city itself could easily be fitted onto each disc once IMHO, it's probably nowhere near as big or varied as GTA and even that game had a lot of sound and music data on top of the models and textures for the environment.

It may help though that like LA Noire, Quantic likely will limit themselves to actual faces of their actors, which may help as then perhaps more can be automatically detected/mapped.

Yes, that can be done, just as in Heavy Rain. Which also raises the question why they wouldn't go with team Bondi's tech... the explanation might be that they want to capture body and face at the same time.

Obviously, Cage also didn't say they were at Avatar quality now, but thought they could be in a few years, and I don't think that is totally unrealistic, if, as you indicate, you make a bit of a rough comparison overlooking some of the 'details'. :p

It is a completely unrealistic claim. Facial capture is a very complex issue with multiple aspects and it can't be compared to traditional motion capture.

With body movement, you read the pose of the limbs, and in some rare cases the muscle or tendon tensions add an extra layer to that. But the primary motion you want to capture is what's under the skin, the rotations of the joints. It's still not totally straightforward, because CG characters rarely share the proportions and build of the performer and a lot of remapping and editing is involved. But it's very hard to notice small problems - if the general dynamics of the movement are right and there aren't any obvious problems like intersections or feet sliding on the ground then we accept it as realistic human movement.

The problem with faces is that the underlying motion of the jaw joint is just a part of the entire result. We care a lot more about the deformation of the surface, the folds, wrinkles, the shape of the mouth, whether we see teeth or the white of the eyes, and so on. This is the primary component of the facial performance, and even if there's a 100% match between the actor and the CG character, it is still not enough to place markers on the surface and capture what happens.
So either you capture the entire surface, including things like the eyes with the bulge of the cornea, and the inner mouth and tongue and everything - or you will have to reproduce every square millimeter's behavior in the computer somehow. LA Noire choses to capture everything, at the cost of losing sync with the body capture, and losing the ability to edit the facial performance in any reasonable way. Others try to somehow capture and translate the deformations from the actor's face to a CG character's facial rig.

This is the part where it gets complicated because you can't see the inner mouth, and you can't track every square millimeter unless you're using dozens of highres cameras, so you need an animator to create the missing movement and finetune the rest. And you need a rigger to reproduce the surface deformations, the tiny ticks and the large skin movements and folds and so on. And this takes a LOT of time, research, money and so on.

I've just attended some talks on CG characters in movies and thus I can give a few exact figures.
Dobby and Kreacher in HP7 took 60 people and 8 months for that few minutes; of that, more than 6 man-months were spent just on creating Dobby's facial model and deformation rig. Granted, there was no capture involved for the animation and that's what took most of the team to create.
Clu in Tron Legacy took a similar effort, two people spent more than 6 months just on building the head and preparing it for animation. Capture using 4 cameras took them 50-80% of the way and the rest was keyframe animation. They also had a lot of trouble to compensate for the differences in the body performance of John Reardon and the facial performance of Jeff Bridges.
In both cases very large teams of animators were involved with creating the final performances, just as with Avatar.

I believe this should already should prove both of my points - that games can't compete with the scale of the effort put behind these realistic characters, and that performance capture on its own won't replace animators and thus it might not be worth the effort. For example, is Crysis 2's facial animation any better than UC2 or 3? Because they are using facial capture, and yet I personally prefer UC's hand animated stuff.

Having spent a lot of time with both versions of L.A. Noire, the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3. Also, the shadows loo
That's from some review, I noticed much better shadows in PS3 versio in this GS video review, some footage is from PS3, some from 360, you'll notice the difference based on shadows:

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/lanoire/video/6313909/la-noire-video-review?hd=1

Same for GT review http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-l-a-noire/713930?type=flv

Edit: IGN -
The X360 version suffers from some performance issues -- framerate stuttering and graphical glitches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard installing it improves performance related to streaming.
Still waiting for a digital foundry face off or ps360 performance video dont trust gaming press on graphics.

Yeah, but you can see shadows differences clearly. I wonder about IQ, 360 was confirmed to have 720p@MSAAx2.

Another quote (JPS):

Slight Hiccups
When it comes to a game as big as Grand Theft Auto, having a perfect game with no graphical hiccups are mostly impossible. In L.A. Noire, the game is no stranger to this issue. At majority part of the game especially the Xbox 360, players will be experiencing graphical hiccups where the screen will tear or something will freeze for a couple of seconds. The frame rate drops a lot on the Xbox 360 version while the PS3 is flawless. If the players will be getting L.A. Noire on the Xbox 360, I highly suggest to install them on the hard drive. PS3 owners will don’t have to worry about that but there will be a mandatory installation waiting for you.

Heard installing it improves performance related to streaming.
Still waiting for a digital foundry face off or ps360 performance video dont trust gaming press on graphics.

Yeah, hopefully soon... I think we're waiting on getting the PS3 copy, but I hadn't heard damning statements as the ones above.

Didn't the game start out as a PS3 exclusive? I can't remember.

yeah long time ago its also under sony's "umbrella" and going to be PS3 exclusive, but after some time with no news and LAN feels like being canned, suddently come news that Rockstar + Team Bondi bring LAN to multiplatform.

Xbox 360, players will be experiencing graphical hiccups where the screen will tear or something will freeze for a couple of seconds. The frame rate drops a lot on the Xbox 360 version while the PS3 is flawless. If the players will be getting L.A. Noire on the Xbox 360, I highly suggest to install them on the hard drive. PS3 owners will don’t have to worry about that but there will be a mandatory installation waiting for you.

of course you can't compare if PS3 is mandatory install. If it is installed on 360 HDD I'm wiling to bet all of those "issues" are resolved.

these game reviewers and their short-cut reporting. Just like LOT never installs a 360 game and then compares loading of textures to a mandatory install on PS3.

ridonculous

of course you can't compare if PS3 is mandatory install. If it is installed on 360 HDD I'm wiling to bet all of those "issues" are resolved.

these game reviewers and their short-cut reporting. Just like LOT never installs a 360 game and then compares loading of textures to a mandatory install on PS3.

ridonculous

Some people on NG reportet stuttering in 360 version after install (and it was yesterday I belive).

Hmm, am I the only one disturbed by the sometimes totally off eye lines? Characters just stare into nothing while someone is right in front of them, because there's no way to readjust eye rotations in the engine, there are no eye objects to manipulate...

Apart from such small issues it's still quite realistic. I wonder if they can come up with a solution for the problem though, it appears to be a dead end in this certain aspect (just as with the separate face/body capture).

Yeah, hopefully soon... I think we're waiting on getting the PS3 copy, but I hadn't heard damning statements as the ones above.

Didn't the game start out as a PS3 exclusive? I can't remember.

Yeah Team Bondi was a sony related Dev but sony was about to quit on the project and rockstar offered to take it on. But because sony already financed 20 mill into the project they got Agent for that money.

But i heard both version are running with unstable frame rates.
Biggest issue were pop ups on the 360 version when not installed.
Sadly i have to wait this friday and depending on study load maybe even longer to play this small gem. Scores are kinda low for a rockstar game or the hype level surrounding this game.:LOL:

The footage in the Gametrailers review was all PS3 I believe, and the inconsistent framerate was pretty obvious there.

Also, Agent? What the hell happened to that game?

The footage in the Gametrailers review was all PS3 I believe, and the inconsistent framerate was pretty obvious there.

Also, Agent? What the hell happened to that game?

Dont know i think sony made a mistake on that revealing it early.
Still the concept sounds cool cold war GTA multiple city something like alpha protocol.
Hope they can execute it right some games can have to much content and to spread out if you ask me never really ever finished GTA4 so much repeating of mission structures.

Back