Knack [PS4]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
I watched the DF 1080p video (as much to test my new PC's 1080p playback which the old couldn't do) and I thought Knack looked very good as a traditional game. The timing and balance of the enemies looked good and varied, challenging to learn and execute on but not impossible. I don't know what difficulty that was. Anyone wanting an HD PS1 style game experience, it looked good. Can't say I'm into that myself, but it was very much in that vein and would likely appeal to fans of the genre.

I watched the DF 1080p video (as much to test my new PC's 1080p playback which the old couldn't do) and I thought Knack looked very good as a traditional game. The timing and balance of the enemies looked good and varied, challenging to learn and execute on but not impossible. I don't know what difficulty that was. Anyone wanting an HD PS1 style game experience, it looked good. Can't say I'm into that myself, but it was very much in that vein and would likely appeal to fans of the genre.

I agree completely, Knack looks like a completely traditional platformer of the old skool variety. Such as would be designed by someone with their roots firmly planted in the fertile period when the seeds for modern gaming were first being sown...

IMO people are reaching too much when they demand completely new experiences with every iteration of game release. I think that issuing familiar gaming fayre with a new launch makes for a familiar and therefore comfortable experience for people to get into. It's more accessible and therefore compelling. And compelling sells boxes.

I am probably looking forward to playing Knack more than I am any other game, except perhaps Resogun.

Knack is also going to be a relatively 'new experience' coming off this gen. It's been a long time since I, or many others, played the likes of Spyro, Crash, and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. So an old experience would become a new one. Like a god game, or an Elite/X-Wing game. Not new in absolute terms but certainly fresh after 10 years of racers, shooters and sports. And for many gamers, it'll be a completely new experience because they never gamed on PS1 or 2. For the family audience, kids will be getting their first experience of this style game from Knack and it'll be completely new to them.

I'd be curious to see reviews from children. Like some old TV programmes - adults may think they're outdated, but children can find just as much enjoyment from them as we did when they were new.

Fair point. I always find it slightly pointless when adults, with their jaded perceptions, reviews games that will appeal more to younger players. Getting feedback from kids would seem to make more sense.

I want to see Knack 2: Ascension by SSM and have the game do a 180 in theme, ala PoP2. Instead of absorbing parts, he absorbs souls like Alucard from Hellsing would. Then pit him against Zombie nazis..

Knack is also going to be a relatively 'new experience' coming off this gen. It's been a long time since I, or many others, played the likes of Spyro, Crash, and Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. So an old experience would become a new one. Like a god game, or an Elite/X-Wing game. Not new in absolute terms but certainly fresh after 10 years of racers, shooters and sports. And for many gamers, it'll be a completely new experience because they never gamed on PS1 or 2. For the family audience, kids will be getting their first experience of this style game from Knack and it'll be completely new to them.

I'd be curious to see reviews from children. Like some old TV programmes - adults may think they're outdated, but children can find just as much enjoyment from them as we did when they were new.

My son totally couldn't play this on the demo unit, but I didn't select easy difficulty, and multiplayer wasn't supported - I could totally see it work if I play Knack and he would play Roboknack - he would probably get a kick out of being able to help his dad out.

Right now though, Lego Marvel seems more appealing in that respect. But I have also seen a fair amount of gameplay now online that I thought did look quite cool, and I could see him getting into it in co-op.

My son totally couldn't play this on the demo unit, but I didn't select easy difficulty, and multiplayer wasn't supported - I could totally see it work if I play Knack and he would play Roboknack - he would probably get a kick out of being able to help his dad out.

Right now though, Lego Marvel seems more appealing in that respect. But I have also seen a fair amount of gameplay now online that I thought did look quite cool, and I could see him getting into it in co-op.

My son (7) has typically been a Lego player all last gen, so I bought Marvel of course. But now he won't play it, he loves Knack (on easy). When he can't play it, he just talks about it. I will co-op with him when it gets hard, otherwise I just let him figure out the strategy. So give Knack a try, ignore those jaded reviewers who were forced to play it under a time crunch. It is a very solid action platformer which kids, and some adults, can enjoy.

Is it because the enemies were too aggressive ? or because of the control scheme ?

The default difficulty is a little mean for little kids coz the AI keeps coming at the player and never let loose.

The demo was late in the game, when you play at home you have lots of experience by then. Also, playing in normal is a lot harder than it sounds.

The platinum trophy is just impossible.
There's a required trophy for finishing the game on Very Hard mode.

:runaway:

The platinum trophy is just impossible.
There's a required trophy for finishing the game on Very Hard mode.

:runaway:

Not up to it, huh? :devilish: Step aside boy, let the men enter. Oh no wait, I swapped my pre-order Knack for Lego Marvel Super Heroes :oops:

@MrFox

Perfect Action trophy requires to complete one stage without taking any damage at Hard or above.
if you can do that then the rest will come naturally.

That one's not so bad, it just needs one stage, any stage.
I think I would be able to finish world 1-1 on hard without damage if I retry for an hour. ;)

ibrEOSes8CqmPg.png

ilapASp2fh9hy.png

icdiX8Odl9AbQ.png

Doesn't look bad, just very simple. In fact, I think I am startnig to like the look. A demo would definitely help here, Sony.

It's kind of throwing out that Ratchet and Clank vibe. I'm quite looking forward to playing this and I know both my boys are too!

Doesn't look bad, just very simple. In fact, I think I am startnig to like the look. A demo would definitely help here, Sony.
Yeah, they went for a more CGI animated feature look, so it feels simple when you want to show-off the PS4 graphics to friend, but it's a good choice for this game. But the textures and bumpmaps have thin micro details like on clothes and rocks and stuff, which is flattened by compression, it looks better in person.

The demo is only from the first few levels and not the best looking. Some of the later levels are the most beautiful, specially the ones that are darker with nice back lighting, volumics, etc...

My biggest frustration with the game is squarely focused on the checkpoint placement. The game's levels, battles in particular, are generally broken into nice bite sized chunks/section. Before each section there is also, normally, Sun Stone available in some quantity so that in a worse case scenario you can Super Move your way through a section after repeating it multiple times. The current checkpoint system, however, does not line up with those bite sized chunks (at least on normal difficulty). Which means on more than a few occasions I've found myself going through 3 or 4 battle sections repeatedly just to get a chance to try again on a proceeding section where I originally died. It's annoying when the lead up sections are fairly easy, and quite frustrating when those previous sections are challenging. Without that frustration I would find this to be a far more enjoyable game. The combat, while basic, can be quite satisfying when you dispatch a tough group of enemies with apparent ease due to good timing (and luck). The story is quite cookie cutter, but the pre-recorded cut-scenes look beautiful. I would love the in-game assets to match those at some point. As it stands, not a game I could recommend for $60 unless you want some coach co-op action, but a good buy for $40, IMO. Overall production values seem pretty good. I quite enjoy finding the hidden sections and the associated treasure. This is not a platformer in any meaningful way for those wondering.

Back