Knack [PS4]

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by jayco, Feb 22, 2013.

1. patsu

Legend

Yap, I liked the demo. Will probably get it when I completed KZSF.

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I very much expect so. It's a simple job to render scenery and map it to the glass material as a 'reflection map'.

3. Cornsnake

Veteran

Ugh. What the hell kind of bullshit final boss is this supposed to be?

4. SlimJim

Banned

Jep, the same with KZ4: I saw my gun reflected in a really weird way, in a similar looking corridor.

5. Cornsnake

Veteran

And it's down. That's the nice thing about Knack. No challenge has to last long, even if this pointless one seems intend on wasting your time.

Now where is the other half of this game?

6. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

The other half is the Very Hard mode. :lol:

7. Cornsnake

Veteran

Well maybe. But right I want unlock more gadgets and characters. What's the best way of doing that? I'm thinking of running through the game on easy first.

8. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

I don't know, I think I did it the most difficult way :???:

You can't change the character or the difficulty level of a game, even after you finished it.
    So if you start a new game on easy, you won't keep any gadgets or crystals.

9. Cornsnake

Veteran

Yeah, it seems to be that way. Once you fully unlock a new character you can use it on a new game though. I guess I'll have to keep playing the same game over and over again until I unlock all of the characters. That could take a long time because I only picked up a few of the parts of each character on one play through. Although they seem to be more common now that I have completed half of the gadgets. Still it be nice there way a more efficient way of doing this and to be able to change difficulty and character after a play through.

10. -tkf-

Legend

A very crisp and sharp HiDef game with a, lets call it a definitive graphic style that borders on bland and boring.

But! it's easy accessible for pretty much everyone, besides Lego games, super mario etc this is one of the few games my kid (age 8) can play and enjoy with ease.

Knack could use a demo so that those with a PS4 and kids could give it a try, they might like it.

11. Cornsnake

Veteran

There is a demo on demo kiosks in stores, and lots of other demos. But those aren't for paying customers.

12. BoardBonobo

BoardBonobo My hat is white!
    Veteran

They should have used kids to do the review. My two boys are teetering between wanting to be Knack or a Skylander... They've also started to play Knack more than Swapforce which is saying something. I just like it for its simplicity, it's just an honest, straightforward game. Like R&C but toned down a little, which considering its launch status is forgivable.

13. -tkf-

Legend

My only complaint would be that the graphics seem a bit uninspired, the problem with some of the newer platform games are they can get to complicated, to much text, to advanced options etc simply makes them to hard to play for kids that can't read and can't read english :)

The way that Knack shows how things work and clearly marks stuff that has to be picked up, or used makes it attractive for kids. And when you die you aren't put back to the start of the level, that is just as important.

My kid played Mario Galaxy, but he just couldn't understand wtf he had to do, way to complicated :)

14. gurgi

Regular

I see people almost apologizing for liking this game, but it is very good. Try the hard and very hard difficulties. I can't think of a better example of the fundamentals of design, and visually the game is quite pleasant.

I picked up Knack in the buy one get one three offer, and was really upset after seeing the review scores because I had opened the game and wanted to return it. No regrets at all. If you see it on PSN for cheap, you owe it to yourself to check it out.

15. Gitaroo

Veteran

some of the levels are quite beautiful to look at, but I think they can do a better job with the art direction. It looks like its something straight out of shrek lol. They should make also make Knack voice changes as he changes in size. I think the main targeting audience is skylander kids, knack also looks like he would fit right into that game.

16. Cornsnake

Veteran

It's going to take at least another 2 playthroughs to unlock everything. And then another if I actually want use a different character. I really don't feel like doing that right now. The game is already a bit repetitive as it is. It's a shame didn't decide to mix it up a little more. Things like stealth Knack were great ideas, but they are gone before you know it. And it would also be nice if the levels were a little more open. Just something that gives you more choice in how to play. Right now everything is so linear that even it's secrets become rather predictable.

17. Shortbread

Shortbread Island Hopper
    Veteran

Me: Played it, hated it.
    Wife: Played it, likes it.
    Child: Loves the funny characters and colors - that's about it.

18. DrJay24

Veteran

My kid is on his third play through trying to finish up diamond Knack. He still hasn't asked to play Lego Marvel or much else in the last three weeks.

19. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Lego Marvel Super Heroes is freakishly hard, I can imagine it could be quite frustrating for kids. Not the gameplay but sometimes just working out what the hell you have to do to progress. They've crammed so much environment detail in that key things fade into the background in a few places.

I'll get round to Knack when they offer it to PS+ subscribers at a cheaper price.

20. DrJay24

Veteran

Well he has played literally every other Lego game made on the Ps3, so he know their system well. Knack is no cake walk either, even easy is like most game's normal.