Kingdom Hearts 2 - my impressions

London Geezer

Legend
Supporter
Hello all,

I started playing KH2 last night and now i can start giving some early impressions.
I spent about 3 or 4 hours just on the "introduction" level... If the intro lasts that long, i can't imagine how long the whole game is.
I stopped playing just after boarding on the Gummi ship.
The feel of the game is like the first one, which means if you liked the feel of the first game, in terms of story, mystery, sadness and cuteness all at the same time, you'll love this. It certainly is a billion times more interesting than KH's introductory level, which bored me to death.

The game looks absolutely amazing. It's as if KH was rendered with an engine that can push double the amount of polygons, the difference really is striking, on the models, on the environments, the draw distance, the textures are PS2-level obviously, but they are so well drawn that sometimes it's as if you're looking at a Disney-flavoured manga title... And the effects are absolutely fascinating, like usual on Square titles.

The combat so far was very easy, as expected, but there was very little of it obviously: the introductory level serves more as a long (and i mean LONG) recap of what happened in the last game. I must say, it's all connected very very well with the plot: you'll see what i mean if you play the game, but basically KH2 doesn't show you a 30min long cutscene of what happened before, the old story serves as a real connection to this one and is told through the gameplay, adding a lot of mystery which i'm quite sure will get even more interesting as the game continues. The beginning will surely shock some people.

I'll add more as time goes by, but as it stands i'm loving this title, i'm totally hooked, much more than other games i've played lately, including GOW and SOTC, simply for the fact that the mystery mixed together with the Disney cuteness and the Square sadness at times just drives me absolutely bonkers. Love it. For the quick fingered, ALL cut-scenes are skippable, although i'm not sure why anyone would do that unless he's playing the game for the second time, as the story is what makes this game shine.

For the techies, the game doesn't support pro-scan nor widescreen, which is a shame, but doesn't really spoil the experience. It does have DPL2. And now that i'm at it, i have to say that never a game needed AA more than this (i know, i know, i said the same thing for GOW and SOTC and GT4 and all other PS2 games...). Some cutscenes have some sort of edge-blur that gives you an idea of how amazing this game would look without jaggies... Having said that, the IQ is really good, with nice DOF effects and all sorts of last-year cool effects like Bloom and family.

Laters!

PS: Any questions welcome!

Serenity Painted Death said:
All that and you don't manage to mention the superb animations? They're unbelievably stellar.

Oh hum yeah... i've edited the post a couple of times but i still forgot that!

YES, the animation is absolutely amazing, although i must say that at times it still suffers from Square's typical "talk a bit, twist in the same spot and start running" kind of syndrome, instead of a more realistic turn-around-and-start-walking-away routine like it should be. I'm sure FF fans know what i'm talking about. I've only seen it happening a couple of times and only on the non-Disney characters though.. Go figure...

Anyway, great animation, juts not Naughty Dog i have to admit.

I've thought about picking this up since I absolutely LOVED the first one, and your post has really made me want to go buy it now... In fact, I think I probably will. :)

Mordecaii said:
I've thought about picking this up since I absolutely LOVED the first one, and your post has really made me want to go buy it now... In fact, I think I probably will. :)

No prob!
I think the game is a bit easy, you can choose 3 levels, Easy, Standard and Hard, and on Standard things are very smooth, you always get a few health orbs from every enemy you defeat so you never REALLY run the risk of dying, and you save a lot on potions. The big boss i encountered so far was a bit tough and forced me to use potions though.

Question:
I never played the first one, would it be possible for me to understand the story if i went and played the 2nd, or would I have to play the 1st before the 2nd?

Bad_Boy said:
Question:
I never played the first one, would it be possible for me to understand the story if i went and played the 2nd, or would I have to play the 1st before the 2nd?

I'd be lying if i told you that you can pick up the second one without the need to play the first one...
I think if the second one interests you, you really should give KH1 a go, it really is one of the best games on PS2.
The problem is that the stories are extremely intertwined, personally i wouldn't be half as interested in the second one if i didn't know what happened in the first one.

Bad_Boy said:
Fair enough, Ill play number1 first then. :)

Apparently the story in KH:Chain of Memories for GBA is also part of it, and some people have recommended playing through it to get a better understanding, but to be honest, the characters in KH2 are as confused and clueless as i am to "that side" of the story, which leads me to believe that all will be revealed properly during the game anyway.

KH1 really should be played though, even just to know what "Kingdom Hearts" really is in the game, which is revealed very late in the game. To be honest i couldn't even explain what KH is myself, and i played and loved the game.

I was totally lost in the prologue (story wise), it looks like I have to pick up KH1 after i finish this. I find the magic mechanics cumbersome at times. Constantly have to push R1 and L1 at the same time. And the battles, there so much going around I end up just button mashing, but I just love the fact that I keep leveling up. The animation is stupendous, very disney. Right now I'm at Beast's castle. I actually ended up in Mulan's world but turned off the PS2 w/o saving. So I opted to go to Beast's castle instead, 2nd go at it.

I'm weaving KH2 gaming with DQ8 gaming. I'm at an impass in DQ8 and I have to level up like crazy just to move on so I thought I'd keep my sanity in tact by playing KH2 at the same time.

Good game anyways.

As somewhat of a graphics snob, will I be able to enjoy KH1 at this point?

Its one of those games I always meant to pick up, but now it seems like the graphics would be so outdated I probably couldn't stand it.

So I was going to pickup KH2, but if you really need to play the first one.... ?

From the reviews I was under the impression that the prologue, or "training level" of KH2 would at the same time be a "happened earlier in Kingdom Hearts" introduction.

Well yes, the prologue tells you more or less what happened, but it's such little information i would have found it very hard to understand if i hadn't played KH. But that's just me.

Rancid, the first KH is beautiful, but it's definately a PS2 game with all its graphical shortcomings. I think it would be a shame to let KH go just because of graphics that are way better than most other PS2 games anyway. KH2 does even better. If you could play through games that are defined as "beautiful" on PS2, then you shouldn't have a problem with KH. If you're too used to X360 now, and can't go back, then it's a shame, cause KH is one hell of a game.

london-boy said:
Rancid, the first KH is beautiful, but it's definately a PS2 game with all its graphical shortcomings.
What bothered me with KH (and FFX) is low poly, jaggies galore, and low framerates. When I look at KH I don't see what's slowing it down so much. It's not as though there's giga-gibbets of things on screen much of the time. There are other games with higher polycounts that don't run so slow. In KH's favour, SE specialty, is art direction. It is very good, creating a Disney like universe. If they kept it as is but with some AA and 30 fps, I'd be a happy bunny (fingers crossed for PS3 BC!!). But I really look forward to what comes out on PS3. KH3 and FFXIII and DQ9 should look so awesome!

Thanks LB for the impressions. I will have to pickup KH1 and 2 at some time. KH1 is at a good price used now.

I'm very happy with KH2 -- the opening cinematic is pretty friggin' awesome too!

I put Oblivion on the back burner so I could finish KH2 first. I'm sort of glad the slow months are coming up -- so many games to catch up on.

london-boy said:
Rancid, the first KH is beautiful, but it's definately a PS2 game with all its graphical shortcomings. I think it would be a shame to let KH go just because of graphics that are way better than most other PS2 games anyway. KH2 does even better. If you could play through games that are defined as "beautiful" on PS2, then you shouldn't have a problem with KH. If you're too used to X360 now, and can't go back, then it's a shame, cause KH is one hell of a game.

No X360 for me, can't find one anywhere. But I just rented some piss poor game for the Xbox (25 to life?) and the graphics were so damn bad (not to mention the horrid controls and just utter piece of garbage the game actually was), that it looked like I was playing a very very bad PS2 game. We're talking graphics worse than GTA:SA for PS2 on the Xbox. Actually, before 25 to life, the last horrid game that was completely unplayable was GTA: VC for the Xbox.

RE4, on the other hand, didn't exactly stun me with its graphics on the PS2, but they weren't so horrid as to take away from the actual game play. They were simply fine, and I was able to then not focus on them and play the game. Which actually should be the point of graphics to begin with.

If they're awful or if they're so overwhelming gorgeous your attention turns to what you are watching rather than what you are doing, well.. it takes away from the game.

If KH1 is along the lines of RE4 (in the sense that well.. you don't even really pay attention to them or notice them), I'll pick it up and then pick up KH2.

But if they are as noticably annoying as Shifty is saying.. well, then it's just going to be damn irritating, I'll never get through KH1 and then never pickup KH2.

My personal opinion of KH1... The game is absolutely stunning and one of the best looking games on PS2. I never noticed the low framerates that Shifty mentioned, and I think art direction, colors, and animation is all top notch. The story is absolutely wonderful as well, easily in my top 3 games on PS2.

For those wondering about KH1, KH2, and KHCoM(Chain of Memories), they do all intertwine... if you want, I'd recommend heading over to gamefaqs.com and reading the transcript of the dialogue for KHCoM in order to find out the story for it, as some of the characters do come from that game and the storyline for it is very good as well.

The KH series is one of those games that just comes out of nowhere and blows away all expectations. Everyone was saying "FF and Disney? WORST GAME EVER!" before they got a chance to play it, and once they did play it 99% had changed their mind and were calling it one of the best games ever. If anyone has a PS2, likes Action RPG's (closest game I can compare it to is Zelda in terms of combat and such), and likes Final Fantasy or Disney, then you NEED to play this game.

About graphics, i'm playing KH2 on my Samsung LCD HDTV which is notoriously VERY unforgiving with PS2 games. But for some very strange reason, KH2 looks way better than most other games i've played (and i've played a lot), even if it only runs at 480i. In fact, for some strange reason its IQ is even better than some games that run in 480p.
This is probably down to the beautiful hand-drawn textures, vivid colours and the special effects, added to the fact that now everything seems to have double the amount of polygons on them, than the first game.

I should start KH1 again to see how it looks on my HDTV...

About the KH:COM story, I found this: http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/kingdom_hearts_com_story.txt

Ok i finished reading the story of KH:COM and i think i'm as clueless as i was before, which is fine cause i kinda felt like i was spoiling the story a little bit...
In the end, the big question i had when i started KH2 (about who the heck one of the characters is, actually who the heck a few characters are!!) we never answered in KH:COM so it's all good!!
Haven't been this excited about a game since... the first Kingdom Hearts... That's a looong time ago....

Back