Kinect Games

Aw :(

Hm... anyone try out Leedmees? Kind of a cute game. Thought it was alright. I really suck at not killing the leedmees by accident. :p :devilish: :(

Not sure when the Title Update to Kinect Labs was released, but I'm finally able to get into it now after the update. One bad thing though: have watch the downloading of each of the gadgets. Can't just initiate the download & then leave to do something else while it downloads in the background. Every time I do that it cancels the download. Pain in the ass to have to watch the download. Almost not worth it. Why can't they just automatically download the gadgets in the background without requiring me to tell it to? Sucks if you want to just go in and start playing something quickly.

Tommy McClain

Also, who thought it was a good idea to start charging for the gadgets? Evidently Sparkler & Air Band are $3. WTF? I'll never pay for them. Especially if I can't try a demo of them first. Somebody needs to pull their head of their posterior. In fact, instead of this once every month crap, they just need to open up the Kinect API to the XNA developers & allow them to sell them on the Indies Games service.

Tommy McClain

Not sure when the Title Update to Kinect Labs was released, but I'm finally able to get into it now after the update. One bad thing though: have watch the downloading of each of the gadgets. Can't just initiate the download & then leave to do something else while it downloads in the background. Every time I do that it cancels the download. Pain in the ass to have to watch the download. Almost not worth it. Why can't they just automatically download the gadgets in the background without requiring me to tell it to? Sucks if you want to just go in and start playing something quickly.

Tommy McClain

The download is irritating (especially given their sizes) but I figured this would happen since Kinect Fun Labs is the title and the downloads are in-game purchases. They might be able to go back to the original dashboard method of "Download All"/"Download New Releases" but with no trials I'm going to guess that no one would turn this on anyway not to mention I'm probably already sitting at 2-3GB in add-ons already.

Also, who thought it was a good idea to start charging for the gadgets? Evidently Sparkler & Air Band are $3. WTF? I'll never pay for them. Especially if I can't try a demo of them first. Somebody needs to pull their head of their posterior. In fact, instead of this once every month crap, they just need to open up the Kinect API to the XNA developers & allow them to sell them on the Indies Games service.

Tommy McClain

My paid experience with AirBand has certainly soured me on purchasing more titles, well that and you know...the damn title crashing systems...I at least enjoyed Game Room for a spell whereas Kinect Fun Labs ranks somewhere in my mind between hot garbage and awful. I thought this was supposed to be the hacking kinect/microsoft research POCs haven but this isn't even close.

Aw :(

Hm... anyone try out Leedmees? Kind of a cute game. Thought it was alright. I really suck at not killing the leedmees by accident. :p :devilish: :(

We just watched the trailer today but we haven't played it as we are immersed in Crimson Alliance. EDIT: What interested me in the title was that it reminded me of why I wanted the brain training title (where you had to match the cars and colors appropriately)

EDIT 2:
GunStringer shipped today I should have it tomorrow. No clue when I'll get to it knowing me it will be a couple days before the game comes to Games on Demand and I'll want to give it away and get the GoD version. One of these console generations I'll get day and date releases! Hmmm...so in thinking about all of these new passes that are coming out and more specifically the EA pass, maybe Live Gold could allow for day and date MSFT published (or other interested publishers) GoD releases.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if you liked/loved Child of Eden and you liked/loved Bastion (narration) then you absolutely need to purchase Gunstringer!

So, if you liked/loved Child of Eden and you liked/loved Bastion (narration) then you absolutely need to purchase Gunstringer!

Didn't play either, but plan on picking this up when I get back from my trip.
It looks pretty fun and Fruit Ninja included to boot.

I need to find a used Child of Eden at some point.

Didn't play either, but plan on picking this up when I get back from my trip.
It looks pretty fun and Fruit Ninja included to boot.

I need to find a used Child of Eden at some point.

There is even a little Galaga-esque action that takes place. We had a ball with the two player.

Who you are deployed with sometimes makes all the difference. navsoc logistics gave us just about anything we wanted but then that was expected as well...

Gunstringer got 4/10 on Eurogamer. Typical motion control meets hardcore reviewer type thing that also punished games like The Fight, Super rub-a-dub, etc or is it really that bad? If the former, I wonder reviewers will ever learn.

Gunstringer got 4/10 on Eurogamer. Typical motion control meets hardcore reviewer type thing that also punished games like The Fight, Super rub-a-dub, etc or is it really that bad? If the former, I wonder reviewers will ever learn.

I'll go look for the review to see what they say. What did they rate child of Eden and fruit ninja Kinect (FNK is a download code in gunstringer)

Arwin, I'm going to pass on saying what I personally think about the review but I will say that the reviewer has a long list of reviews so people can peruse on their own. He did actually review The Fight so you could read that one and see if you concur with his statements. As a soft-/mid-core gamer I stand by the fun we had but we actually quite enjoy our Kinects so I can't say we are impartial (or maybe I should say Kinect holds no negative connotation with us).

Last edited by a moderator:
Gunstringer got pretty solid reviews from several other outlets.

I picked it up last week, but havent' had a chance to try it out yet. I'll edit the post with thoughts when I've had a bit of time with it.

Gunstringer got pretty solid reviews from several other outlets.

I picked it up last week, but havent' had a chance to try it out yet. I'll edit the post with thoughts when I've had a bit of time with it.

Hmmm,
I may pick it up today along with Gears of War 3.

I started playing Gunstringer over the weekend. I only got a few levels in, but I'm a big fan. The actual game part of it is not super special, but it changes up the action pretty quickly so it doesn't tend to get boring.

What really makes the game is the writing and the staging. Twisted Pixel really made the most of the marionette show motif which giant hands moving around scenary and smashing things all around you on a regular basis. The live action crowd shots during the interstitials are also a nice touch.

The controls work pretty well. It takes a bit of getting used to where the neutral position for your left hand (which controls movement) is. But once you get used to that a bit, it all feels pretty natural and works like it should.

I've still barely started in on the game, but I really enjoyed the couple hours I spent with it so far.

I started playing Gunstringer over the weekend. I only got a few levels in, but I'm a big fan. The actual game part of it is not super special, but it changes up the action pretty quickly so it doesn't tend to get boring.

What really makes the game is the writing and the staging. Twisted Pixel really made the most of the marionette show motif which giant hands moving around scenary and smashing things all around you on a regular basis. The live action crowd shots during the interstitials are also a nice touch.

The controls work pretty well. It takes a bit of getting used to where the neutral position for your left hand (which controls movement) is. But once you get used to that a bit, it all feels pretty natural and works like it should.

I've still barely started in on the game, but I really enjoyed the couple hours I spent with it so far.

I agree with all of this, though, I would say the hardest part in controlling is when you're shooting with both hands that definitely takes some getting used to and I could see someone not caring for the controls at that point but for everything else I don't have an issue.

I agree with all of this, though, I would say the hardest part in controlling is when you're shooting with both hands that definitely takes some getting used to and I could see someone not caring for the controls at that point but for everything else I don't have an issue.

Yes, the 2-handed shooting is a bit awkward at first. I wish they had used different cursors that indicated with a mechanism other than color (also a problem for colorblind people...) to indicate which cursor mapped to which hand. A small arrow, a notch, anything.

Back