Kinect Games

It's hard to see how exactly it plays. Then again, the awkwardness of the motion on screen shows it isn't as straightforward to control as a two-stick shooter, which makes you wonder who the audience is. Seems to be a game made for the sake of it rather than because it's a good fit for the platform.

The game is Deca Sports Freedom, and I Googled up some previews like:
...It's the first Kinect game to offer a first person shooter gameplay element.

Ok let's get this out of the way right now: no it doesn't work very well, but this is an early alpha version. It's a paintball game where players step forward back and side to side to move, and flick their arm up to shoot. There's an auto targeting to hit enemies. The problem was that the move was so slow and clunky, that it was nearly impossible to play.
...The other two games, Archery and Tennis, worked significantly better. Archery had the player extend their left arm out like you're holding the bow...just aim at the target using your left hand. Then a simple flick up fires the arrow.

Tennis plays like tennis. Seriously.
Sounds hopeful.

Hey I played that ! Its at the hudson booth at comic con. Yea it sucked but to be fair the whole package sucked all the sports on that were pretty bad and lack the polish of wii sports or even kinect sports . I wouldn't base fps games on this .

What games did you get to try. Did you see the Tennis and Archery? If so, what was wrong with them in your opinion?

What games did you get to try. Did you see the Tennis and Archery? If so, what was wrong with them in your opinion?

tennis and dodge ball worked fine , the rest like achery ,figure skating and skii'n had bad lag and i could never really get them to do what i wanted to.

this was at the hudson booth. The kinect adventures I played at IGN's booth with some nice guys. I got in from 10-1 on friday with a professinal pass so I was able to play almost everything . The guy was even nice enough to put kinectimals on for my gf (it was a dev kit with everything on the drive) I did not notice any lag while playing those titles unlike the hudson titles. i could see the lag while watching others play but i could not sense it in game play. The hudson i could feel and see.

I hope that helps

tennis and dodge ball worked fine...
Did Tennis feel accurate? was it full tennis with movement, or more like Wii only having to worry about strokes? And by your reckoning was archery aiming determined by the pointing of the outstretched arm? Did you have to calibrate? You should need to, and that would throw off the aiming. I haven't seen much calibration in Kinect games.

Did Tennis feel accurate? was it full tennis with movement, or more like Wii only having to worry about strokes? And by your reckoning was archery aiming determined by the pointing of the outstretched arm? Did you have to calibrate? You should need to, and that would throw off the aiming. I haven't seen much calibration in Kinect games.

I don't remember much of archery as it was the first one i played and actually crashed. However with tennis it was more advance than wii and it could tell diffrent strokes and knew i was hitting over hand when i brought my hand down from above my head and knew i was side hitting or putting spin on it at the last second. It wasn't as accurate as what i played on the move.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-18-what-games-are-at-kinect-launch

Update: Microsoft has two extra games prepared for the European launch of Kinect on 10th November. These are Get Fit with Mel B (SouthPeak) and Dance Paradise (Universal).

The European launch line-up looks like this:

Available on 10th November (European Kinect launch)

Kinect Adventures
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved
Dance Central
The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout
DanceMasters
MotionSports
Kinect Joy Ride
Crossboard 7
Fighters Uncaged
Sonic Free Rider

Available on 19th November

EA Sports Active 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1

Available on 26th November

Game Party: In Motion
Get Fit With Mel B
Dance Paradise
Sports Island Freedom
Zumba Fitness

Here's the US Launch list...

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2010/oct10/10-18MSKinectUSPR.mspx

Available on 4th November (US Kinect launch)

Kinect Adventures
Kinectimals
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved
Dance Central
The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout
DanceMasters
Kinect Sports
MotionSports
Kinect Joy Ride
Adrenalin Misfits
Fighters Uncaged
Sonic Free Riders

Available on 16th November

EA Sports Active 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1

Available on 18th November

Game Party: In Motion
Zumba Fitness

TBA, Holiday 2010

Deca Sports Freedom

Sales and Move comparisons belong in the Alternative Controllers thread. If you don't want your posts getting deleted, don't put them in the wrong place!

They were tests/concept studies. I'm sure they'll end up with the consumer in some form or other. I expect the walking around the car bit to be part of the new Forza. The rest could be mini-game XBLA title, or challenges included in the full game. But who knows.

Back