KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

After this is still much of a topic 10 pages later, and having just watched your previously linked Youtube video of Battlefield 4 "Fishing in Baku", I feel I have to address a few things that haven't been so far:

That shouldn't even be compared because was on a HD7990 which cost like $800.I'm sure will still look awesome though,just saying.

The new Killzone videos look absolutely incredible and the art is very pleasing to my eyes:cool: That news about 30second load is fn sweet:oops:

A lot of what you're arguing about is simply art-direction. KZ isn't going for realism, which IMO is making it less appealing compared with games that go for realism and smokes & mirrors gameplay.

You make a lot of good points and I agree with a lot of them, but here I see things a little bit differently.

Walking a tight rope here, but the UE4 Infiltrator techdemo (platform agnostic stuff!) is using a very similar, stylized sci-fi setting, and a lot of similar tech like physically based shading and lighting, deferred rendering, tricky reflections and such.
Yet it is more consistent and better crafted in my opinion, the futuristic outfits and corridors all look and feel much better and convincing (not realistic either!)

However it also looks like Epic spent far more time polishing the content, and we also have no idea of actual performance metrics (can it run at 1080p on a PS4?) so it remains to be seen if at least part of the difference is due to hardware constraints.

Make no mistake though, KZSF is a good looking and properly nextgen game, a significant step beyond anything we had last gen. It's just that it's clearly a launch title as well and games with more development time are already looking better, so art direction on its own is not enough to explain all the criticism it gets. Then again, a lot of that critique is indeed completely unreasonable...

I don't get the negativity from some people about this game; it's the prettiest next gen game I've seen.

Following today's interview, I have a bit of a fondness towards the guy from GG, he seems very genuine and passionate. It's refreshing to see, passion without arrogance.

Mostly because GG keep throwing away great stuff, and then had to put some back because we complained (e.g., custom warzone). ^_^

Walking a tight rope here, but the UE4 Infiltrator techdemo (platform agnostic stuff!) is using a very similar, stylized sci-fi setting, and a lot of similar tech like physically based shading and lighting, deferred rendering, tricky reflections and such.
Yet it is more consistent and better crafted in my opinion, the futuristic outfits and corridors all look and feel much better and convincing (not realistic either!)

That was EXACTLY what came to my mind after reading Phil's post...:oops:

Anyway great points from Phil and yourself.

Well... one is a real game targeted for launch period. The artists will have to create more assets, and reuse them for both MP and SP. The size of the levels should also be bigger. The PS4 tools are less mature, and hardware specs were only finalized recently.

A tech demo, especially if created on PC, may have more luxury in time and run-time resources.

Yes, obviously, those are all valid points. However the audience has already seen the Infiltrator demo and their expectations will be altered by it.

I'm expecting Infiltrator level graphics (with resolution and IQ compromises) mid to end of the console gen. ND, SSM or GG will pull it off. Maybe RAD too ;)

Several actual games have already reached that level - Ryse, Division, Second Son, The Order, to name a few.

We got quite a few tech demoes already: Infiltrator, Deep Down, Dark Sorcerer, Final Fantasy, so on and so forth. -_-

They all show bits and pieces of promise so far from what we've seen, but the full package we'll have to wait and see. Yes, RAD may very well get there first!

By the look of the Order I think RAD might get there first!

Second Son looks pretty good too. I remember it's an early 2014 title.

RAD doesn't have a specific timeframe yet other than 2014.

I hope they play well or at least have more inspiring gameplay. This gen, RFOM was phenomenal. FolkLore's tug-of-war gameplay and Eye of Judgment AI were outstanding.

In some sense, I think they are harder to repeat.

Back