Keeping games fresh forever.

I like it!
It looks kind of timeless, and evolving all together. Guess one would have to make it a infinite evolving thingie to keep it fresh years from now. . .

Are you involved with it? If so, nice work:)

No I'm not,I know nothing. I just troll the web looking for little lesser known gems, looking for inspiration. I've always believed in learning to do more with less.

the classics get reborn under different names mostly. and then playing 20 year old games isn't so easy at times. the hardware and OSes required just aren't there legally. it'd be like if when dvd came around they only put new films on it. it would signal the end of classics eventually. which is why the current trend for backwards compatability and digital distribution is a good thing. how old is mario bros will it always be a classic. every now and then people want a simple game, but more complicated that java and flash games seem to be.

so i'd go for simple elegance with far reaching possibilities. but then i have my own ideas, i just can never get cracking on learning the programming side.

Hm, I've evaluated a few of my all-time favs and came up with
- non photorealistic rendering
- smooth and solid framerate (30fps+)
- gameplay must be easy to pick up, hard to master
- fmv, story, soundtrack and sound-fx are merely the icing on the cake

Looks similar in concept, gameplay and animation to Another World. I don't see (m)any people still playing that one. I don't think that'll be a timeless game.

Was that game even a success to begin with?The game Limbo looks at least to have a style that will age well.

Here's an article that talks about the very subject.

http://lostgarden.com/2006/08/future-proofing-game-graphics.html

"Imagine a set of graphics with the following characteristics:

* 2D background tiles
* Standard format (PNG)
* Print resolution (300 dpi)
* Professional quality
* Painterly, non-photorealistic style.
* Brand potential"

Last edited by a moderator:
'Another World' was wildly acclaimed, though Wiki says it wasn't a huge commercial success. It was a 2D game using vector graphics for smooth animation, and had a similar emptiness to it as this game. It was stylised in it's own way too, though Limbo is obviously a step up. Kind of like ICO really in mood. It seems it's getting a 2006 update too, so perhaps that makes it one of your 15 year specials? I don't know how you'd count that though. Does a game have to be popular and be being played in 15 years, or just appeal to some people after 15 years? As it seems to me the stronger fanbases grow up around less mainstream games, as it's the originality that puts of most gamers that really appeals to the fans.

'Another World' was wildly acclaimed, though Wiki says it wasn't a huge commercial success. It was a 2D game using vector graphics for smooth animation, and had a similar emptiness to it as this game. It was stylised in it's own way too, though Limbo is obviously a step up. Kind of like ICO really in mood. It seems it's getting a 2006 update too, so perhaps that makes it one of your 15 year specials? I don't know how you'd count that though. Does a game have to be popular and be being played in 15 years, or just appeal to some people after 15 years? As it seems to me the stronger fanbases grow up around less mainstream games, as it's the originality that puts of most gamers that really appeals to the fans.

There are no specific qualifications. Just throwing around ideas. :nope:

How's this as an example of a game that could look and feel fresh years from now?
http://www.limbogame.org/

Wow, I want it! Thank you very much for that link :) Would you mind posting the other little lesser known gems that you've come across somewhere?

And I agree that the game looks like it will have graphics that will age well. It's already relying primarily on a distinct style and artistic merits to look good rather than any sort of 'tech shock', so if it looks good now, why not n years from now? The 'tech' from the small video seems to be good enough to be invisible to me in comparison and you're basically left with the artistic impressions that they are trying to get across.

Or I could just be weird.

in a way 3d took of before 2d reached it's zenith. but then it was really a return to 3d from the old vector graphics games. i'd like something like 2D with pixel shaders and effects. or some funky bezier curve based engine. at least resolution would be scalable then. but then you can just target HD or higher and fit inline with the home film quality. i still play the secret of monkey island. it'd be really nice to have extra bells and whistles but then it cost too much to make with bells and whistles in the form of curse of monkey island, and didn't have the action of other games. the adventure game died and some of it's qualities passed to moviefication of other genres.

good enough to have a sequel flash back. i found heart of darkness to be in the same vien aswell.

in a way 3d took of before 2d reached it's zenith. but then it was really a return to 3d from the old vector graphics games. i'd like something like 2D with pixel shaders and effects. or some funky bezier curve based engine.
LocoRoco is a very good implementation of vector 2D. I'm not sure how much fancy effects you'd want to throw at 2D though. Imagine LocoRoco with heavy texture maps, dynamic lights and normal maps...it'd likely look cluttered. Any effcts would probably need ot be quite subtle. This Limbo is going for the stylised limbo graphics that works so well. Mario on the DS is a good example of 2D projection of 3D objects, but then you're not drawing 2D vectors!

Flashback was richer in graphics, but lost the animation. I guess something like that, with hand-drawn textures onto 2D base models that animated, would work well.

yeah locoroco certainly did something graphically i'd been waiting for in some ways. got more life than sprites ever had. and the power is there atleast now. thing is you could take games like worms or lemmings and do them in the same style. would be better than their 3d attempts atleast.

Wow, I want it! Thank you very much for that link :) Would you mind posting the other little lesser known gems that you've come across somewhere?

And I agree that the game looks like it will have graphics that will age well. It's already relying primarily on a distinct style and artistic merits to look good rather than any sort of 'tech shock', so if it looks good now, why not n years from now? The 'tech' from the small video seems to be good enough to be invisible to me in comparison and you're basically left with the artistic impressions that they are trying to get across.

Or I could just be weird.

You should just check out alot of 2d gaming sights and developer blogs from guys doing work on PC. The console stuff seems to be pretty mainstream and repetitive. Console games are like the equivalent of pop music for video games.

Back