Just Cause 2

Your second issues kinda sounds like the V-Sync problem many me included) have with the game. The easy way to fix it is to either disable v-sync or keep it enabled and force Triple-buffering with D3Doverider.

Thanks, but no. It's not about vsync, it's about AO.

Why on earth not use a simple text file though?

Time constraints. It was supposed to be in text format.

- I had problems with demo (SLI + CUDA), then I purchase the game and I see the same problems. Then I see a patch for demo that "solves problems with CUDA effects in SLI". When this patch arrives to full game? (problem is with SLI enabled, enhanced water don't work and bokeh filter results in black background).

I'm not 100% on this one, but IIRC there were first problems with the drivers, which caused us to disable the one or both of the Cuda affects (fussy on the details here) when SLI was enabled. I believe the drivers were fixed and so it was enabled in the game too, but you will need to have the latest drivers. In any case, the demo and the full game should have the same behavior.

- SSAO and HBAO work great in terms of performance, but sometimes (when moving across hundred meters) performance decrease for a second (only with SSAO or HBAO enabled). Seems that engine recalculate some hundred meters surface AO and then it has to recalculate new location. It's a SLI related problem? Do you solve this in future patch?

There should not be any such effect related to SSAO. Nor do I think SLI should cause anything such. I can't see a reason for a problem TBH, other than generally lower framerate with SSAO enabled.

Well it's got to be either magic or they're from the future. Either way I welcome it! Having a blast in GTA4 MP recently but I was wishing for the freedom of JC2 when doing it.

I think the devs would make an absolute mint if they could give us free roaming multiplayer in a 10$ / £7.50 DLC. I wouldn't even care about deathmatch, races or team games. People will make their own fun - just let them play together. and give them ways to communicate and differentiate themselves.

Looking at people's screenshots of this game, I have to ask about something. When objects fade in the distance, are they supposed to do it with a very simple dithering effect, or is it supposed to be transparency involved. I've started noticing trees becoming very obviously dithered before disappearing. Intentional or a driver bug?

Replying to myself here. It seems that without any AA you get the nasty dithering on distant (and not so distant objects). Guess I'll dial down some other goodies for AA...

Something like this has been bothering me too. Even with AA and 16x AF there's noticeable dittering at a set distance in front of the player, like a mipmap banding effect. It's particularly visible when driving a motorcycle at high speed across a uniformly coloured surface like snow or desert. Not a driver bug as it is visible on my 5850 as well as my GTX280.

My interview with Lead Programmer Fredrik Larsson and Game Designer Peter Johansson has gone live! A few examples of some questions I asked: What other Easter-eggs exist beyond the Lost island reference? Were fully destructible structures ever considered? Will Just Cause 2 ever end up on the Wii? How does the Heat system really work? Why on earth can't we purchase multiple items from the Black Market?

It's a good read.

http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2010/04/just-cause-2-interview-peter-johansson.html

Glad to see they're taking key binding seriously. It doesn't affect me, but I know quite a few people would get even more enjoyment out of the game if this little 'niggle' was fixed.

Still loving this game though :)

Glad to see they're taking key binding seriously. It doesn't affect me, but I know quite a few people would get even more enjoyment out of the game if this little 'niggle' was fixed.

No, no one would be that bothered imho ;)

Did he mention major slappage for the keybind programmer...

I was driving along 294 today and saw the first billboard advertising I've ever seen for a viddy game, and it was for Just Cause 2.

Thought of Humus and smiled. :)

Looking at people's screenshots of this game, I have to ask about something. When objects fade in the distance, are they supposed to do it with a very simple dithering effect, or is it supposed to be transparency involved. I've started noticing trees becoming very obviously dithered before disappearing. Intentional or a driver bug?

It's alpha-to-coverage. The quality depends on the MSAA level. Without AA it can look pretty poor, but with high MSAA it looks like a quite smooth fade. Personally I play at 4x MSAA and it's good enough for me to not notice it unless I specifically look for it.

Lulz at Yahtzee's review -- I think it seemed like he liked it. The comments page gives me a similar vibe :)

while im being petty ;)

the siamese fighting fish is not a marine fish, why is it in the sea - you've ruined the game for me humus :(

How does this game compare to Just Cause 1? I found that one WAY to repetitive. i HATED hearing "STOP GRINGO" (or similar) about 1000 times. and it seemed all locations were boiled down to just a couple variations.

How does this game compare to Just Cause 1? I found that one WAY to repetitive. i HATED hearing "STOP GRINGO" (or similar) about 1000 times. and it seemed all locations were boiled down to just a couple variations.

Significantly different in that regard, and also in the regard of the rubber-stamped locations too. Also very different in the handling characteristics of the cars. The first Just Cause really lost my attention when every place I visited was pretty much identical to the last, and the mission was identical to the last, etc.

One caveat: the 'stronghold' missions are pretty samey in terms of the objectives and the dialog, which make them a bit of a letdown :( But the rest of the missions are widely varied and most of them are a blast to play through. Yahtzee's review above gave a good example of one where you pretty much destroy everything at one campus, and then steal a jet to go blow up a rocket that's launching into space while it's in-flight. Sweeeeeet :D

So, generally speaking, JC2 is far more fun than JC1 ever was. I really lost interest in JC1 about two hours into the game at best.

As an aside, I just bought my brother this game (along with the Crysis Maximum Edition) through Steam for a birthday gift. Should go along nicely with his Q8200, W7, and the ATI 4850 I just sent him :D

Back