Just bought a 250GB Maxtor HD

whitesti

Newcomer
OK so to install my new HD I just unplug the old and plug in the new excatly how the old one was. Now once i turn on the PC what happens next? Do I have to run bios or anything? Or what? I have never done this so someone help me out here thankx. I have to install windows next?

Youch! Personally I haven't had a HDD failure yet <rapidly searches for some wood to touch></successful wood touching> But then, I've acutally only ever had Seagates & seem to have managed to missed the dodgy generation they had a while back <again touches wood>

Regarding new HDD, should be able to just add the new one without removing the old & instant new HDD space.

If you go to the manufacturers website they probably have some software that lets you copy the data from one across to the other but as above, direct plug & play should be fine as long as the old one isn't broken.

You don't need to bother with jumper settings if you're just using one drive per SATA or IDE channel. (In fact, I can't even remember if there are any jumpers on a SATA drive, it was a while back that I installed mine.) Just leave it on 'Auto' or 'Cable Select'.

If you're going for a new install of Windows XP on a brand new disk you'll need to boot from the XP CD and format the disk during the install process. This may require you to enter drivers from your hard-disk drive controller manufacturer - these should have come with your motherboard.

If you're just adding additional space to an existing set-up then XP will automatically detect a new drive if it's been formatted. If it's unformatted you need to go into the Control Panel, select 'Administrative Tools', choose 'Computer Management' and then click on Storage. Your current hard disk will show up, probably as an NTFS partition, and your new disk will show-up as unformatted. You can then choose what to do with it within that programme.

You don't need to bother with jumper settings if you're just using one drive per SATA or IDE channel. (In fact, I can't even remember if there are any jumpers on a SATA drive, it was a while back that I installed mine.) Just leave it on 'Auto' or 'Cable Select'.

If you're going for a new install of Windows XP on a brand new disk you'll need to boot from the XP CD and format the disk during the install process. This may require you to enter drivers from your hard-disk drive controller manufacturer - these should have come with your motherboard.

If you're just adding additional space to an existing set-up then XP will automatically detect a new drive if it's been formatted. If it's unformatted you need to go into the Control Panel, select 'Administrative Tools', choose 'Computer Management' and then click on Storage. Your current hard disk will show up, probably as an NTFS partition, and your new disk will show-up as unformatted. You can then choose what to do with it within that programme.

I always force PATA (IDE) drives to be either master or slave. Usually drives are preconfigured to cable select. IDE cables allow to connect two drives to one IDE connector on your motherboard. Usually the grey connector on the cable is the master.

SATA drives don't know master or slave naming. It's just point to point connection to the controller. However, you will still notice a jumper. This one sets the drive to SATA1 or SATA2 (1.5 Gbps or 3.0 Gbps). No jumper means SATA2.

What I meant is, just check that it's not jumpered incorrectly, say if you have a ATAPI master drive in the PC and add this to the same channel but jumered as master too, you'll get conflicts.

Back