John Carmack's blog

K.I.L.E.R said:
I didn't know B3D had a search function.
Why don't people tell me these things until it's too late?
Sorry! My bad. :oops:

I've been meaning to tell you; but with the new puppies, kids, and the strange illness that befell me and me wife I've been simply a shambles the last couple of weeks.

My apologies, I'll try and get better.

digitalwanderer said:
K.I.L.E.R said:

For my sake. :p
I wouldn't worry about the strange illness.
It's probably bird flu. ;) j/k

Drink tea, it helps.

K.I.L.E.R said:
Drink tea, it helps.
Doing the coffee thang instead. I prefer it and it acts as a diuretic for me which helps to kill off the diahera....although it probably ain't the best thing to fight the dehydration which is wiping out my energy levels.

<sigh>

digitalwanderer said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
Sorry! My bad. :oops:

I've been meaning to tell you; but with the new puppies, kids, and the strange illness that befell me and me wife I've been simply a shambles the last couple of weeks.

So you already requested the IT monkeys enable that button for him? I bet he can see it already. You didn't ask them to give him the "Free Willing Sex Partners" button, did you? He's not ready. Besides, I think I remember Wavey saying you had to click-thru on the ads at least 20,000 times to qualify for that one (assuming you can also pass the emotional maturity test too, of course).

K.I.L.E.R said:
http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/Recent%20Updates

Anyone notice Carmack had a blog?

Yes, but I wouldn't have checked it unless you had posted. It was an interesting read which, from a personal point of view, makes this one of your most.useful.posts.eva!

MuFu said:
K.I.L.E.R said:
http://www.armadilloaerospace.com/n.x/johnc/Recent%20Updates

Anyone notice Carmack had a blog?

Yes, but I wouldn't have checked it unless you had posted. It was an interesting read which, from a personal point of view, makes this one of your most.useful.posts.eva!

Is that an alt.fan or a rec.arts? ;)

Tho ya gotta love Johnny C's ability to make "idle bitching" interesting and insightful.

Yeah I appreciate it as well, since I would not have read it otherwise.

I have been contemplating getting a decent phone someday, but after reading this to be honest I decided no, I have always hated java in an uneducated sort of way. I suppose this gives me a sense of validation for my prejudice :p

Just to let you know J2SE and JME(for mobiles) are 2 different things. 2 different frameworks that work completely differently.

The only similarities are the langauge used.
Just to make it clear, JC was talking about J2ME.

Sxotty said:

I have been contemplating getting a decent phone someday, but after reading this to be honest I decided no, I have always hated java in an uneducated sort of way. I suppose this gives me a sense of validation for my prejudice :p

MuFu said:
Yes, but I wouldn't have checked it unless you had posted.
Sxotty said:
What the...

And what does that suppose to mean? :devilish:
That my thread was not good enough for you, ingrats, folks. :devilish:

:p ;)

I too am thinking about doing a cell phone Java game recently (actually, after I bought a new phone with Java capability). My phone is, unfortunately, more restricted (64kb jar file maximum). Coincidentally, my project is also a RPG, a Japanese style RPG, probably with interfaces somewhat like graphical nethack.

Anyway, I'm still too busy to do anything even on paper, but I did some MIDP programming and it's easy. It's pretty cool to see my own program running on my cell phone :)

I found this part pretty interesting:

...the fact that the work I had been doing at Id for the last half of Doom 3 development was basically pretty damn boring.

Just like the game itself... ;)

Kinda proves that they weren't interested in adding any new tech in the last two years before the release, but just polished the stuff.

DOGMA1138 said:
www.webdog.org ;)
edit: w00t its closed, any way it was a blog site which had blogs(realy unupdated ones) of alot of people in the game dev industry.
I was not really what we call today, fashonably, "Blogs". It was the good ol' .plan files. But it seems that nobody use them anymore, in the videogame developement scene...

DOGMA1138 said:
www.webdog.org ;)
edit: w00t its closed, any way it was a blog site which had blogs(realy unupdated ones) of alot of people in the game dev industry.
Wow, I didn't know about this...

Back