Japanese sentiment post-E3

one said:
This store shows the price of the 60GB PS3 already
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/aworld/527386/646656/
Today 1$ = 111.61 Yen.
20GB PS3: 59,800 Yen (tax included: 62,790 Yen = $562.38)
60GB PS3: 71,800 Yen (tax included: 75,390 Yen = $675.24)

Thank you for the info!

So the 60GB version hasn't been totally vaulted into another pricing stratosphere by retail yet.

So all these prices are with the standard 5% consumption tax. I have heard stories that the government is looking to increase that rate to make up for a social security shortfall later this year. So all prices will go up, how do people think this will affect the games market?

I can see that playing right into the hands of Nintendo, making the Wii a very compelling purchase in the light of more price sensitivity, Sony could very well be shooting themselves in the foot. 360 is a non-factor and will likely stay that way.

avaya said:
I would like to know what they think of the open price for the real model. That sort of pricing scheme is absurd IMO.

This was done for both the Playstation and PS2.

ban25 said:
This was done for both the Playstation and PS2.

It was? I thought both were priced at 39,800 Yen, in fact I remember the PS2 price being announced at a show (TGS 1999 I believe) at 39,800 Yen.

avaya said:
It was? I thought both were priced at 39,800 Yen, in fact I remember the PS2 price being announced at a show (TGS 1999 I believe) at 39,800 Yen.

Yes, both launched at that price, but they were relatively quickly moved to an open price model -- essentially within a year.

LunchBox said:
I think #3 is more definite than #4...

coz #4 choice is still in it's planning stages whilst #3 is already decided to buy :)
Still seems pretty arbitrary to me. "I will buy" and "I plan to buy" are both pretty definitive, and both hinging on some arbitrary level of price reduction. (So neither are really useful anyway. I mean, what if most of them want to wait for it to be $100? :p )

Maybe there's more of a distinction in japanese...

cthellis42 said:
Still seems pretty arbitrary to me. "I will buy" and "I plan to buy" are both pretty definitive, and both hinging on some arbitrary level of price reduction. (So neither are really useful anyway. I mean, what if most of them want to wait for it to be $100? :p )

Maybe there's more of a distinction in japanese...
The poll is probably this
http://quizzes.yahoo.co.jp/quizresults.php?poll_id=2735&wv=1
and it has 22407 votes.
The third question is "Will buy when it gets cheaper" while the fourth is "Will consider when it gets cheaper" which is not definitive.

Here's some new info from Japan (found at Gamefront.de - May24). Looks like the Wii is gaining grounds in Japan:

Famitsu polled Japan about what they were looking forward to after E3:

What games are you looking forward to the most after seeing E3’s offerings?

1. Zelda (Wii, Nintendo)
2. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3, Square Enix)
3. Metal Gear solvent 4 (PS3, Konami)
4. Dragon Quest Swords: (Wii, Square Enix)
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii, Nintendo)
6. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii, Nintendo)
7. Final Fantasy III (NDS, Square Enix)
8. Monster Hunter 3 (PS3, Capcom)
9. Biohazard series (Wii, Capcom)
10. Halo 3 (Xbox 360)

What gaming hardware are you looking forward to the most?

Wii - 68.8%
PS3 - 21.0%
Xbox 360 - 7.2%
NDS - 3.0%

What do you think of the pricing for the PS3?

88.4% - I think the price is too high.
10.9% - The price is appropriate.
0.7% - The console is inexpensive.

Yeah, Wii's looking strong for sure in that poll. I'd prefer some straight Famitsu though rather than Gamefront quotes. That site rubs me the wrong way...

Back