Japanese sentiment post-E3

Carl B

Friends call me xbd
Legend
I wish I could add more myself to the first post of this thread, but it really is a question I'm asking to 'One' and the rest of the Japan-tuned membership more than it is anything else.

Basically, I'm wondering what sentiment is towards the Wii, the 360, and the PS3 in Japan post E3.

Have 360 sales moved at all in the week or two since the expo?

If sentiment towards the PS3's price is negative, has that translated into a sense people aren't going to buy it... or is it more a negative feeling, 'but we're buying it anyway'?

And the Wii - what's the feel for it?

I would like to know what they think of the open price for the real model. That sort of pricing scheme is absurd IMO.

avaya said:
I would like to know what they think of the open price for the real model. That sort of pricing scheme is absurd IMO.
This store shows the price of the 60GB PS3 already
http://www.rakuten.co.jp/aworld/527386/646656/
Today 1$ = 111.61 Yen.
20GB PS3: 59,800 Yen (tax included: 62,790 Yen = $562.38)
60GB PS3: 71,800 Yen (tax included: 75,390 Yen = $675.24)

Now, the price of Xbox 360 Premium Model (no Core in Japan) is 39,795 Yen including tax ($356.43) and most stores are selling below that now. This price comparison site shows it's sold between 32,800 Yen - 37,980 Yen
http://kakaku.com/prdsearch/detail.asp?prdkey=20501510095

The difference in the price:
20GB PS3 - Xbox 360 = 59,800 - 39,795 = 20,005 Yen ($179.18)
60GB PS3 - Xbox 360 = 71,800 - 39,795 = 32,005 Yen ($285.96)

While in the US
20GB PS3 - Xbox 360 = $100
60GB PS3 - Xbox 360 = $200

These prices show how Microsoft tried to be competitive in Japan and how SCE tries to be competitive in the US while feeling secure in Japan.

Reactions by Japanese analysts are "PS3 is too expensive" "Wii will gain the momentum just like NDS" "Xbox 360 will win in the US" etc. which are not unexpected. But it seems no one is sure about how consumers will react on the release day of PS3 and Wii.

Here's SEGA's plan from Apr. 2006 to Mar. 2007 published at the IR meeting on May 16.
http://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/ir/library/presentation/200605/index_25.html
(sales estimate numbers are in 10,000)
PS2: 28 titles - 401
GC: 2 titles - 22
XBOX: 1 title - 1
PS3: 17 titles - 287
Wii: 7 titles - 102
XBOX360: 14 titles - 183
DS: 17 titles - 158
PSP: 29 titles - 356
GBA: 2 titles - 19
PC: 21 titles - 238
repeat: 347

SEGA's actual game sales of April 2005 - Mar 2006 is here. The upper left chart shows Japan, NA, Europe sales with titles and units.
http://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/ir/library/presentation/200605/index_15.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Any info on whether 360 has been boosted by this in Japan?

Also what's your sense on how consumers in Japan will react?

xbdestroya said:
Any info on whether 360 has been boosted by this in Japan?

Also what's your sense on how consumers in Japan will react?
Well AFAICS from the console sales chart 5/8 - 5/14 there's no sign of boost but I think it's too early to tell.
http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html
DSL 91,895
PSP 27,127
PS2 21,138
GBASP 6,317
DS 3,438
GBM 2,628
Xbox360 1,355
GC 1,069
GBA 40
Xbox 36

Thanks for the info One, I'm sure as more comes up we'll get it in here somehow. :)

My second question wasn't pertaining to the 360 though; rather, I was wondering how you yourself thought PS3 and Wii might do at launch in Japan.

I don't understand the original point of this thread. I thought the PS3 would be a non-issue in Japan. After all, according to the Japanese themselves (extrapolating from their reasons for not buying Xbox), the PS3 is so big, it won't even fit through the doors of their houses. And it's so heavy, it would crack the foundation.
Unless, of course, they're lying bigots. But that couldn't possibly be it...

xbdestroya said:
My second question wasn't pertaining to the 360 though; rather, I was wondering how you yourself thought PS3 and Wii might do at launch in Japan.
Eh, that's a very difficult question, managers at investment companies are betting big money on it :smile:

My forecast is

At launch PS3 will sell less than the PS2 launch in Japan due to the price, but there'll be no shortage.
I have no idea about Wii, but due to the current unpopularity of GC in Japan, unlike some people I don't think it can ride on the NDS bandwagon.
Meanwhile DS lite and PSP continue to sell.

Thanks for the insights One - I give it to you over those bank analysts any day of the week. :cool:

Anyway I guess we can/should/must revist the 'climate' after TGS this year; it'll be exciting to see what's in the works.

Interestingly, The-Magicbox has been posting tidbits of info that would seem to be right along the lines of your question:

- Famitsu published the Top 10 E3 news Japanese players are most interested:
  1. Impression and presentation of PlayStation 3 Controller
  2. Square Enix's announcement of Final Fantasy XIII
  3. Price and Launch date of PlayStation 3
  4. Announcement of Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Snake as a new character
  5. PlayStation 3 menu and user interface
  6. Details of the PlayStation 3 Network Platform
  7. Images of PlayStation 3 games
  8. Three versions of Final Fantasy XIII
  9. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen & The Tower of Mirrors for Wii
  10. Images of Square Enix games
No matter what we may think is going on with the Playstation or at Square, it would seem japanese consumers are quite interested. ;)

This tidbit just got posted about the PS3 itself:

- Yahoo! Japan recented surveyed 20,000 users for their opinions on the PS3 retail price:
  • 8% (1548 votes) - I will buy the console on the launch day even if the price is high
  • 19% (3725 votes) - Undecided due to the high price
  • 25% (4814 votes) - I will buy when the price is reduced
  • 26% (5171 votes) - Plan to buy when price is reduced
  • 24% (4742 votes) - Presently have no interest to buy
Though admittedly I'm not sure what the difference between #3 and #4 are... Heh.

Not sure how accurately this has been translated but apparently this is a poll from Yahoo! Japan consisting of 20K votes:

themagicbox said:
P L A Y S T A T I O N 3

- Yahoo! Japan recented surveyed 20,000 users for their opinions on the PS3 retail price:

8% (1548 votes) - I will buy the console on the launch day even if the price is high
19% (3725 votes) - Undecided due to the high price
25% (4814 votes) - I will buy when the price is reduced
26% (5171 votes) - Plan to buy when price is reduced
24% (4742 votes) - Presently have no interest to buy

http://www.the-magicbox.com/gaming.htm

Its tough to draw too many conclusions from a yahoo poll without knowing if they were console owners already. If only 24% of the general population are the only ones with no interest to buy, then thats pretty good.

OTOH, only 8% polled don't have a problem with the current pricing. Again though, if youre talking 8% of all of Japan are not price sensitive when it comes to the PS3, thats pretty good.

Expletive you are soooooo slow! :p (Cthellis beat you by 4 minutes!)

Anyway thanks guys - it all helps to paint a clearer picture.

I forget what the Japanese PS2 install base is, but if 8% of those folk are willing to purchase the PS3 at launch, that will likely still result in a sell-out, arbitrarily assuming ~1 million consoles in Japan for Nov 11th.

cthellis42 said:
Though admittedly I'm not sure what the difference between #3 and #4 are... Heh.

I think #3 is more definite than #4...

coz #4 choice is still in it's planning stages whilst #3 is already decided to buy :)

Yep. Plans may change so those planning a purchase can't be relied upon (and those determined to buy might not, it can be taken with confidence). Are these 20,000 surveyed gamers or just Japanese? Are we talking 8% of the population will get PS3, or 8% of the gaming population, which might be...half the total? Maybe even all of it over there!

Back