Japan Sales Thread *renamed

At this stage it looks like people will have to buy 2 consoles at most to fully enjoy this generation.

PS3 or 360 for the hi-def games.
Wii for the wiimote games.

Sony still has enough great 1st party titles to make it a must buy to fully enjoy this generation imo, so I'd say HD gamers will have to buy both PS3 and 360 due to the even market split.

Wii...not so much. I'll have to see how it's exclusives grow over the next couple years.

x360 and ps3 have even market split? I think pretty much most games will come out on both and you have to chose based on exclusives and as far as that goes I'll go for ps3. x360 is to ''american'' for me. Now i'll only have to wait another 3 years before it finally has a decent price ;)

Sony still has enough great 1st party titles to make it a must buy to fully enjoy this generation imo.
That's the painful truth. Even if Wii outsells PS3 10:1, PS3 benefits from Sony's diverse exclusives. So you're missing out no matter what platform you buy - there's no 'winner' single purchase. It's whichever platform floats your boat. And if Wii gets all the attention, I personally will be disappointed as I want better graphics and stuff! Though by the time I'm considering buying a console, Nintendo may have something new out anyway... Though Sony have consistently got the titles that appeal to me.

It looks like we really will have a psuedo repeat of the SNES v Genesis days with one console dominating one region and the other grabbing the other region. With the addition of another console and another region dominated by that console.

PS3 = EU
XB360 = US
WII = JP

I fail to see how you are coming to the conclusion that PS3 will dominate EU. So far, it seems to follow the same pattern it had in Japan and US : briliant beginning due to the hardcore crowd, followed by a steep drop in interest due to the horrendous price once the hardcore were served. Whereas 5 months after launch, the Wii is only starting to be found on store shelves, with every shipment (they have been increasing of late) selling extremely quickly.

But arnt most of the titels people usually associate with playstation 3rd party devs? I have no idea actually what sony owns as far as IP goes but arnt Daxter and GT about the only real big names sony has? and all other stuff like gta, mgs, ff etc is 3rd party.

I fail to see how you are coming to the conclusion that PS3 will dominate EU. So far, it seems to follow the same pattern it had in Japan and US : briliant beginning due to the hardcore crowd, followed by a steep drop in interest due to the horrendous price once the hardcore were served. Whereas 5 months after launch, the Wii is only starting to be found on store shelves, with every shipment (they have been increasing of late) selling extremely quickly.

It's tough to guage given the lack of reliable sales data for the region but it seems EU will be their strongest region.

Perhaps my language was too strong in my previous post about "domination". Each console will have a "strong region" to rely on.

Sony still has enough great 1st party titles to make it a must buy to fully enjoy this generation imo

I'm sorry, but, what!? Besides GT, whatelse does Sony have in the first party department? When was Sony ever known for 1st party titles?

I'm sorry, but, what!? Besides GT, whatelse does Sony have in the first party department? When was Sony ever known for 1st party titles?

Considering they have one of the biggest internal software dev teams I'd say it would be foolish to overlook their potential.

Last gen they put out quite a few promising gems that could be given life on ps3. Whether one values these titles enough to drop $600 is another story. To me, $200 is the most I would pay for access to this library.

Sony still has enough great 1st party titles to make it a must buy to fully enjoy this generation imo, so I'd say HD gamers will have to buy both PS3 and 360 due to the even market split.

Sony has great 1st party titles:?: News to me.

And PS3 and 360 have an even market split? Err, if I'm not mistaken the 360 has roughly 4-5x the consoles on the market that the PS3 has.

Wii...not so much. I'll have to see how it's exclusives grow over the next couple years.

Wii doesn't have great 1st party titles:?::idea::!: Err, Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, WaveRace, PilotWings, F-Zero, Pokemon, Mother, etc. Want to restate that? ;)

That's the painful truth. Even if Wii outsells PS3 10:1, PS3 benefits from Sony's diverse exclusives. So you're missing out no matter what platform you buy - there's no 'winner' single purchase. It's whichever platform floats your boat. And if Wii gets all the attention, I personally will be disappointed as I want better graphics and stuff! Though by the time I'm considering buying a console, Nintendo may have something new out anyway... Though Sony have consistently got the titles that appeal to me.

1st party titles (scooby_dooby's point) != exclusives (your point).

Sony's quality 1st party titles are rather few and far between. And their exclusives have been moving toward the 360, DS, and Wii over the past several months as the PS3's sales have tanked. I dunno, I just don't see it. And if the sales of the PS3 continue as they have been, you can count on it not getting those exclusives from 3rd party developers. At the end of the day, it's about money and marketshare.

Honestly, my only point was that with the general lack of exclusivity between the PS3 and 360, something that is exacerbated in 360's favor due to PS3's crappy sales, I don't see why anyone would want to get a PS3 for high def gaming. It's a negative feedback loop unfortunately.

However, if the PS3's sales pick up and it becomes a viable platform for game developers, then that obviously changes. Unless they drop the price by at least $200, and soon at that, I don't see that happening.

Wii doesn't have great 1st party titles:?::idea::!: Err, Mario, Metroid, Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, WaveRace, PilotWings, F-Zero, Pokemon, Mother, etc. Want to restate that? ;)

For me personally, it's alot of sequalitis, and I'm not interested in playing the same old games with 'wii controls', I'm waiting to see the exclusives that actually use the controls to create really cool new games.

Basically, the graphics aren't there, this isn't a handheld, I have to look at this thing on a 46" HD screen from 6ft away. If the graphics aren't there I need something special in the gameplay department to make me want to play it, and I haven't seen much from Wii that makes me say wow.

Zelda is the one game I need to play on Wii, maybe Metroid, just because I enjoy the core games so much I can put up with last gen GFX, but other than that...

For me personally, it's alot of sequalitis, and I'm not interested in playing the same old games with 'wii controls', I'm waiting to see the exclusives that actually use the controls to create really cool new games.

Quite understandable. However, doesn't PS3 and 360 suffer from sequelitis to a certain extent? How many GTAs and GTs and FFs and DMCs and Halo's and Forza's and Madden's have we been through already? How many of those games are anticipated sequels?

Heh.

Besides, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Prime Corruption were designed with the new controls and Wii system in mind. So was SSB. No doubt the others will be as well when they finally come out. Zelda of course was a port from GC.

Basically, the graphics aren't there, this isn't a handheld, I have to look at this thing on a 46" HD screen from 6ft away. If the graphics aren't there I need something special in the gameplay department to make me want to play it, and I haven't seen much from Wii that makes me say wow.

Quite understandable. But keep in mind that you've been seeing GC games or games with PS2 and even PSP assets. Nothing that has come out thus far has strictly pushed the Wii. The most beautiful game on the system, for example, was Zelda, which was a boundary pushing GC game. Even the Resident Evil games weren't built up for the Wii, but are using repurposed GC engines with Wii controls tacked on.

You won't see GoW graphics on the Wii, but it's not like devs should be putting PS2 games on the system. Even when the control scheme is done well (Godfather and Madden for example), that's just bad. When the controls are done poorly, it's just shovelware.

Zelda is the one game I need to play on Wii, maybe Metroid, just because I enjoy the core games so much I can put up with last gen GFX, but other than that...

It'll probably be something that we has to be dealt with until developers start putting their A games out and building ones specifically for the Wii. Nintendo has been just as guilty what with releasing Zelda (GC game) and graphically inferior titles like Wii Sports and Wii Play.

Hopefully games like Sonic, Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime Corruption change that.

HW sales Golden Week

Hardware
-------- This Week | Last Week | YTD .....| LTD
1. NDS . 285,192 | 256,063 | 2,888,392 | 16,894,071
2. WII -..101,320 | 102,522 | 1,452,172 | 2,371,815
3. PSP -... 35,172 | .33,860 | ...839,395 | 5,371,524
4. PS2 - ...14,815 | .12,584 | ...324,604 | 20,479,463
5. PS3 - .. 12,974 | .12,791 | ...417,056 | 874,614
6. 360 - .... 3,205 | ...3,162 | .....93,550 | 358,252
7. GBA - .....?653 | ...1,125 | .....35,307 | 15,333,386
8. NGC - .......394 | .....167 | ........6,763 | 4,176,231
As usual from Cheesemeister on GAF.

With a very hig sale of Wii sports, it seems that Wii is still supply constrained in Japan.

Surprising attach rate for Wiisports. It's much higher than a normal week. I guess it's true what they say, that Golden week tends to be more about software. Something about kids being off and buying software, and that parents, who might not be off from work, usually buy the hardware.

YUnless some drastic downturn in Wii demand occurs in EU/NA it won't take more than say six months at most for Nintendo to catch up with MS.

Looking at the production schedule for the coming year I'd say it'll turn out even at best by the end of Nintendo's FY.

But if the Wii demand will still be that high by then is the big question...

I still have to find one, so that's at least one extra sale covered. ;)

Sony's quality 1st party titles are rather few and far between. And their exclusives have been moving toward the 360, DS, and Wii over the past several months as the PS3's sales have tanked. I dunno, I just don't see it. And if the sales of the PS3 continue as they have been, you can count on it not getting those exclusives from 3rd party developers. At the end of the day, it's about money and marketshare.

I think that's rather subjective. It obviously doesn't float your boat - it does however float mine. Perhaps I'm biased being a PlayStation exclusive owner for the last 2 generations, but just as I am, I'm sure there are many others that think a like and actually enjoy the 1st party offerings on the PlayStation.

Polyphony Digital, Naughty Dog games, Evolution studios, the team behind Ico, various games from the Sony studios in Britain is what makes it my choice of purchase. And the exclusives you're refering to: A big share of those games are still on PS3, even if not as an exclusive anymore. In other words, why should a PS3 owner care if sequels to the exclusive games he enjoyed most on PS2 end up on other consoles this generation? It's the combination of 1st/2nd and 3rd party software that makes a platform appealing - not only the former. And after that, there's still hardware potential and other things like BluRay, connectivity between platforms that make a difference.

Of course, not saying that this is better for everyone compared to what other platforms are offering. It either floats your boat or it doesn't, so I'm not really sure what your saying other than that you obviously prefer what Wii is offering. :???:

Hmm.

Dr Evil = Finland
Natoma = New York City, USA

Want to retract your statement? ;)

You could have ordered it from any internet store gazillion times already, I believe you have a working postal or courier services operating at the big apple too. If you have some personal reasons to buy it only from a brick and mortar store, it still is not a valid excuse. If you wan't a Wii, it should have been quite easy to get your hand on one already.

Back