Japan loves the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think market share in the US will matter that much since games will be multiplatform anyway. And Xbox wont have the advantage of getting the best version.

PS3 will exclusively get most of the best Japanese games. That might shift the momentum in Sony's favor.

Too bad though, that was a good/funny set of posts...

Anyway so right - basically later this month an event takes place where Microsoft will be able to set themselves up to expand market share in Japan. Seeing how the event is geared exclusively towards the Japanese public, it would be hard not to be able to derive some sense of direction with regard to their chances from gauging the public's reaction after the event.

Titanio said:
scooby_dooby said:
The key in my mind, is the fact that for the first time ever, PS will not have the most games, situations will be reversed, and this will cause the shift in the US market.

Yeah, I guess every other time Sony launched a system - always after competitors - there were zero games on those other platforms ;)

The number of games alone means very little.

Ok, you just pretend the 360 game linup will be comparable to N64 or Dreamcast....

Both those companies suffered from extreme lack of 3rd party support. This is not the case with x360.

talyn99 said:
I doubt they woudl take first place. Japanese are smart, support your own. MS has enough money(azzholes)

I'm not sure 'support your own' makes much sense. I certainly don't buy anything based on national origin or not. I think it'll boil down to:

The games on the system

and

Perceived 'coolness' factor, and conversly, 'uncoolness factor'

But yeah there's no way they take first place.

scooby_dooby said:
If you take an honest look at the planned titles on 360 over the first year of launch, it is an extremely diverse line-up of games. Anyone who says otherwise really isn't giving them a fair shake.
I'm giving them a very fair shake, and the fact of the matter is their lineup is once again overly stacked in favor of FPS, racing and sports games, and PC ports. 'Extremely diverse' is the last thing I would call their launch (and beyond) lineup.

scooby_dooby said:
In short, they are launching first, with extremely good games and very deep advertising pockets. When PS3 does eventuall launch it will be competing with ~100 360 games, and many 2nd generation games already being released, very many exlusives as well.
There are so many things I disagree with in this paragraph. First off, 'extremely good games'? Neither of us can make any sort of assumption on whether or not this will indeed be true, but based on the E3 showing, I have far more doubts than hopes. And really, try and name a single game, let alone an exclusive, other than Gears of War that is releasing a good bit after launch (but prior to the PS3 launch) that has the potential to be a big hit? 360's lineup so far is very, very weak, but that is expected; the system is just starting out.

PS3 launching against ~100 360 games? Like hell that'll happen. I'll be surprised if MS gets 20-30 games out this holiday, and while I'm skeptical PS3 will hit in the Spring, it won't launch a full year later. 70+ more games in 6-8 months, half of which is the traditionally slow time of year? Not gonna happen. 2nd gen games won't be hitting yet either, and I will bet you cold hard cash that 75% or more of the 360 titles released will hit the PS3 within its first 3 months.

scooby_dooby said:
The key in my mind, is the fact that for the first time ever, PS will not have the most games, situations will be reversed, and this will cause the shift in the US market.
This is simply a prediction of yours, and I'm willing to bet it will not come true. I expect the PS3 to once again have at least 20-30% more titles than the 360, if not more.

Oda said:
And why do people think MS has such a good chance at capturing a large portion of the American market? IMO they still have to do a lot more to build a more diverse lineup and a more general brand name. I'm almost positive MS will gain more buyers than they lose next-gen, but I don't think the difference will be very big. I also think a very large portion who buy the system will also buy a PS3, far, far more than who will do so vice versa.

Whenever you are the definitive console to install on "pimp my ride" youve captured the conscious of America... ;-)

blakjedi said:
Whenever you are the definitive console to install on "pimp my ride" youve captured the conscious of America... ;-)

Ridiculous show, but there is definitely something to be said for that logic.

blakjedi said:
Oda said:
And why do people think MS has such a good chance at capturing a large portion of the American market? IMO they still have to do a lot more to build a more diverse lineup and a more general brand name. I'm almost positive MS will gain more buyers than they lose next-gen, but I don't think the difference will be very big. I also think a very large portion who buy the system will also buy a PS3, far, far more than who will do so vice versa.

I saw both gamecube and Ps2 on the one episode of that I saw, but no xbox.

Yep me and plenty of guys that I know have PStwos in our cars. The damn thing is so small. Its like finding a spot to put a DVD case or hard cover book. Not hard at all. The Xbox on the other hand. :?

You would need a trunk. j/k

On a related note, I was previously intending on installing a PSP in my car when I thought it would cost $150. My stereo takes aux-in, so I was gonna fiberglass either a housing in the passenger-side dash, or on the compartment on top of the dash (I have a Spyder, so wierd storage compartment locations). So I could have a second MP3 player (mp3 cd), and a mobile movie/gaming/sound booth in my car. The PSP would just drop in and out of the little recess I created . I really had some awesome plans for that car, but no more. Got no use for it in Brooklyn, so gonna sell it. Might get a motorcycle next year. Is there a way to mound a PSP on one of those? :devilish: :LOL: PEACE.

mckmas8808 said:
Yep me and plenty of guys that I know have PStwos in our cars. The damn thing is so small. Its like finding a spot to put a DVD case or hard cover book. Not hard at all. The Xbox on the other hand. :?

You would need a trunk. j/k

but you could actually put something useful on it!!

I'll take an xbox with 8gb of music and videos over a PS2 for my passenger to play games :p

i was going to mount one in my car, never happened, cause some bastards jacked my DVD player, but I would've just built a kick panel by the passnegers feet, depth of the box is only about 12" Cover the whole thing in capreting and just have the face visible.

then load the sucker up with 120gb of backed up games, mps and music video..maybe a couple seasons of sopranos and simpsons...

randycat99 said:
...only to be jacked all over again? Some people may find it "impressive", but sensible? Not so clear.
Meh, you could get jacked driving a 1990 Accord just for parts. It doesn't matter what's in it. There's really nothing sensible about putting stuff in your car. But at the same time, it's a form of expression, and one I agree with. If you can't enjoy your wheels, what's the point even owning them. :) I was gonna put a 10" sub in the rear compartment of my 2-seat roadster. It's a simple matter of cutting the ragtop and making off with the goods. Sensible? No. But how sweet it would have looked/sounded bombing down I-95 doing 95. :D PEACE.

The sensibility comes from how far you take it and why you take it so far. Is it a $150 10" woofer or a $1500 10" woofer you put in? Which one would leave you more pissed off if it got stolen? How much did that $1500 woofer "transform" your music, in reality, and how much of it was simply status symbol worship? I have no problem at all when someone adds stuff to their car to enhance it in some way. I just get a bit of chuckle when someone suggests something so extreme, and then expects us to be in awe for some reason. The twist, this time, seems to be that even that person realizes the folly of "plan B" (considering upgraded value and time invested to populate the media) vs. risk of it getting jacked, once again. That's all I was sayin'. ;)

trust me, i know.

it's just not worth it to buy nice things anymore, not unless you can keep it all on lockdown in your alarmed house/garage or something.

On the plus side, I made a profit of about 2g's on the insurance :devilish:

Is that really something to be proud of? ...that you made a profit of 2g's collectively off of every other customer who pays for coverage from the same insurance company you do? I'm sure they think you are really kewl, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back