Jan NPD hardware stolen from GAF

rabidrabbit said:
Easy guys :) All I was saying that I can now find a "Core" package and a HDD to go with it very easily where I live.

There's shortage of Premiums though, but that's mainly because the shops rather stock the Cores than the more expensive Premiums.

The Cores just sell better to mainstream buyers, who don't care that much about the extra functionality the HDD offers (or don't even know what they'd be missing without the HDD).

Really, if MS can manufacture enough of those Core packages (and manufacture enough they can, why don't they reach the shores of US is a matter of debate), why would they have manufacturing difficulties and troubles meeting the demand with the Premium pack.
It's a HDD, not some new exotic chip, shouldn't be difficult to supply if the demamd is there.

The xbox360 is selling well enough, there's no denying that, but I just don't think there is such a shortage caused by unprecedented demand as some quarters are willing to hype.
Yes, there is a strategy to Microsoft, and the quantities of xbox360s manufactured, that's for sure, there's no denying that ;)
I believe some MS PR reps have said that for launch we'd see an 80-20 or 90-10 split between Xbox 360 and core, which would contradict your theory (that there's no premiums because shops are stocking core). Your final point regarding your doubt about unprecendeted demand is really unprovable, since it's sold out and we haven't seen supply overtake demand.

Also, seeing a core pack in a store isn't an indication of anything other than your having seen a core pack in a store. You cannot extraplote that all rabbits out there are now finding core packs in all stores.

I don't think there's any conspriracy from MS trying to artificaly limit's it's installed based. I just think they are being cautious in trying to estimate the demand.
The ideal situation would be to perfectly estimate demand, so that at the end of the sales week, everyone who wanted a 360 has one and there are no unsold 360's sitting on the shelves. Obvioulsy it would take a mind reading master multitasker to do this
The other likely scenarios is that you either over or underestimate demand.
I think the problem with overestimating demand at this point is that at the end of the week you would have a bunch of 360's sitting on the shelves collecting dust, a mere 4 months after the system has shipped. The idea, in a crowded competiive market is to convine people that this completely frivolous luxury item is a must have hot item that everyone wants. To have this barely out of the gate item sitting on the shelves collecting dust at this point would look bad for it's image.
So if you underestimate, people have ot wait a few weeks, big deal. In the end they will ge it and the aura of the system has been maintained.
Sounds like to planning and plotting? MS spent millions to make this system, and spends millions to hire the right marketing people. They aren't going to just create this system then send it out on the market with no plan of how to market and sell. it.

rabidrabbit said:
Easy guys :) All I was saying that I can now find a "Core" package and a HDD to go with it very easily where I live.

There's shortage of Premiums though, but that's mainly because the shops rather stock the Cores than the more expensive Premiums.

The Cores just sell better to mainstream buyers, who don't care that much about the extra functionality the HDD offers (or don't even know what they'd be missing without the HDD).

Really, if MS can manufacture enough of those Core packages (and manufacture enough they can, why don't they reach the shores of US is a matter of debate), why would they have manufacturing difficulties and troubles meeting the demand with the Premium pack.
It's a HDD, not some new exotic chip, shouldn't be difficult to supply if the demamd is there.

The xbox360 is selling well enough, there's no denying that, but I just don't think there is such a shortage caused by unprecedented demand as some quarters are willing to hype.
Yes, there is a strategy to Microsoft, and the quantities of xbox360s manufactured, that's for sure, there's no denying that ;)
You can't walk into a store and buy a premium or a core in most of the U.S!!You can't order an xbox360 from any online shop and expect delivery within 1-2 days(meaning that it is readily available).There's a ton of people in just about every forum that are still searching for an xbox360.How difficult is it to understand this and stop posting your crap???

MS has to supply 2 regions at the same time(U.S and Europe) so whatever number of units they produce has to split it in half(or near half as the U.S should be getting more untis obviously) .

fulcizombie said:
You can't walk into a store and buy a premium or a core in most of the U.S!!You can't order an xbox360 from any online shop and expect delivery within 1-2 days(meaning that it is readily available).There's a ton of people in just about every forum that are still searching for an xbox360.How difficult is it to understand this and stop posting your crap???

1) I think you can drop the aggressiveness, he was never aggressive.
2) He's in Europe, and in Europe - or at least in the UK - i could go out today and buy a Core system, or go online and get one. If i want a Premium one, i have to wait.

ninzel said:
The ideal situation would be to perfectly estimate demand, so that at the end of the sales week, everyone who wanted a 360 has one and there are no unsold 360's sitting on the shelves.
That's bad business. Ideally you make the product and then market it so more and more people want it. There's no 'we've determined 20 million people want one' thinking, only 'we can make them this fast, let's put them out there and if they sell less, cut back on production' during which time you advertise and get the propaganda cannons blasting and keep up demand.

london-boy said:
1) I think you can drop the aggressiveness, he was never aggressive.
2) He's in Europe, and in Europe - or at least in the UK - i could go out today and buy a Core system, or go online and get one. If i want a Premium one, i have to wait.
I am also from Europe but it is quite easy to understand the 360 situation just by going into just about any U.S forum or any U.S online shop.

The guy just doesn't want to understand what everybody from the U.S is saying and keeps going on with the same theories as if the real world doesn't exist so he more than deserves the aggressiveness.

His agenda is pretty obvious in this thread.....

fulcizombie said:
I am also from Europe but it is quite easy to understand the 360 situation just by going into just about any U.S forum or any U.S online shop.

The guy just doesn't want to understand what everybody from the U.S is saying and keeps going on with the same theories as if the real world doesn't exist so he more than deserves the aggressiveness.

His agenda is pretty obvious in this thread.....
What rot! Rabbit's explained his POV, as his POV, with recognition of things that are questionable. There's no agenda there. His theories are based on an excess of Core availability as shown by local EU stock, something the NA crowd probably aren't aware of if they feel the lack of local stock for them shows the system is selling out worldwide, which shows that demand, certainly outside of the US, isn't unprecendented. That's a fair point, fairly reasoned, with no antagonism at all.

fulcizombie said:
Oh and the difference between PGR3 and GT4 in graphics more than justify the 200$ price difference anyway.

Your version of PGR3 must be different to mine.

Does it run at 60fps and have the missing 150 lines of resolution added back in.;)

One of my party pieces when showing my 360 off to people is to jump between GT4 in 480p and PGR3. Let's just say most are more impressed by how good GT4 looks.

Nick Laslett said:
Your version of PGR3 must be different to mine.

Does it run at 60fps and have the missing 150 lines of resolution added back in.;)

One of my party pieces when showing my 360 off to people is to jump between GT4 in 480p and PGR3. Let's just say most are more impressed by how good GT4 looks.

Well, if your friends think that GT4 looks better than PGR3 I don't think that neither 60fps nor 150 lines of resolution would help anyway, and I do hope that you have better party pieces than comparing videogames...

Platon said:
Well, if your friends think that GT4 looks better than PGR3 I don't think that neither 60fps nor 150 lines of resolution would help anyway, and I do hope that you have better party pieces than comparing videogames...

Heh, some people have coke-fuelled flesh-baring parties with lots of hot babes ready to do anything, only they can't cause the guys are all gay, while some have videogame-comparison parties! Each has its own high points! :devilish:

Shifty Geezer said:
What rot! Rabbit's explained his POV, as his POV, with recognition of things that are questionable. There's no agenda there. His theories are based on an excess of Core availability as shown by local EU stock, something the NA crowd probably aren't aware of if they feel the lack of local stock for them shows the system is selling out worldwide, which shows that demand, certainly outside of the US, isn't unprecendented. That's a fair point, fairly reasoned, with no antagonism at all.
But the thing we are discussing in the thread are the US numbers(last time I checked the NPD numbers were only for NA) and the reason the US numbers might be lower and that is because the Xbox 360 is still hard to find in the US. So it is safe to say that the 360 for now is still in high demand just not in your neck of the woods.

Last edited by a moderator:
london-boy said:
Heh, some people have coke-fuelled flesh-baring parties with lots of hot babes ready to do anything, only they can't cause the guys are all gay, :devilish:

I have to come to one of your parties, pleeeeeeeeeeeease:oops: ...

Shifty Geezer said:
What rot! Rabbit's explained his POV, as his POV, with recognition of things that are questionable. There's no agenda there.

I'm sorry, but I have to question this. RR is one of the most subjective users here, his posts in the past week have all been seriously biased agianst X360...

His opinions may not favour XB360, but that doesn't mean he has an agenda. He jsut sees things that way. People are allowed personal preference and to see things differently to others, and in an open forum they ought to be allowed to communicate their preferences in a polite, courteous and intelligent way, which AFAICS RR has done. Certainly he hasn't be insulting or denegrating or any way putting people down who disagree with him, and as such hasn't warranted an agressive response.

ok, stop talking about me and get back into topic :D

Sorry if my views sound biased, maybe they are, but I was just trying to take a critical view of the situation.
It's true tough that I'm no fan of xbox, and thus am more prone to take a more critical point of view than maybe with other consoles.

You may call that an agenda, but isn't it always if you present your opinion, it has an agenda attached.

rabidrabbit said:
ok, stop talking about me and get back into topic :D

Sorry if my views sound biased, maybe they are, but I was just trying to take a critical view of the situation.
It's true tough that I'm no fan of xbox, and thus am more prone to take a more critical point of view than maybe with other consoles.

You may call that an agenda, but isn't it always if you present your opinion, it has an agenda attached.

Not if you don't have any bias no..

My opinion is based on what i know, i think MS have done the best they could in the situation they were presented with.

I guess we will have to wait and see if Sony handle it any better.

+ 1.
Microsoft surely devoted its effors to increase supply. Why would you launch a console before the leader hits the market if not to steal some thunder ? However, I think that in their "hurry" to start the game, they did not plan things carefully...
And the more it goes, the more the "being the first to come out" argument vanishes...
:D

GB123 said:
Not if you don't have any bias no..

My opinion is based on what i know, i think MS have done the best they could in the situation they were presented with.

I guess we will have to wait and see if Sony handle it any better.

Well doesn't every videogame company coming out with a new console try the best they can? I'm pretty sure Sega tried the best they could too in 2000.

mckmas8808 said:
Well doesn't every videogame company coming out with a new console try the best they can? I'm pretty sure Sega tried the best they could too in 2000.

He said they've 'done' the best they could, not that they 'tried' the best they could.

Back