Is UE4 indicative of the sacrifices devs will have to make on consoles next gen?

So, why do people keep comparing consumer level hardware to top of the line PC hardware? Talk about pointless...

Muahaha... for completeness ? People will always bring it up. It's good to put things in perspective too should the discussion continues along that line.

Muahaha... for completeness ? People will always bring it up. It's good to put things in perspective too should the discussion continues along that line.

There should be a reference point, a bit a clarity is what I'm saying. Do we really believe there's going to be PC hardware in a year's time that going to be customer level?

Right, so people like talk about how awesome Crysis 3 looks on their 2 grand PC but do they realize the Ps4 is going to be 400 dollars? We see another round of this happening with UE4 demo. Do people realize that demo has to run on multiple devices? Epic is selling you technology, a too set, not hopes and dreams. These narratives are never realistic is what I'm trying to say.

Oh~ you won't get any complain from me.

I am more interested in how the development side works. Really look forward to GDC in March. I saw from GAF that there is a PS4 programming session.

There should be a reference point, a bit a clarity is what I'm saying. Do we really believe there's going to be PC hardware in a year's time that going to be customer level?

Right, so people like talk about how awesome Crysis 3 looks on their 2 grand PC but do they realize the Ps4 is going to be 400 dollars? We see another round of this happening with UE4 demo. Do people realize that demo has to run on multiple devices? Epic is selling you technology, a too set, not hopes and dreams. These narratives are never realistic is what I'm trying to say.

So people with high end rigs should be ignored?

People that buy a PC for gaming should be the only systems that count. Not people that buy a PC for office work and Facebook that happen to play a game on it now and then.

Just like people that bought PS3 as a cheap Blu-ray player shouldn't really count either.

Makes no difference what people think about expensive PC's.... They exist and should not be ignored.

And do you have a link for PS4's price?

So people with high end rigs should be ignored?

People that buy a PC for gaming should be the only systems that count. Not people that buy a PC for office work and Facebook that happen to play a game on it now and then.

Just like people that bought PS3 as a cheap Blu-ray player shouldn't really count either.

Makes no difference what people think about expensive PC's.... They exist and should not be ignored.

And do you have a link for PS4's price?

People buying the latest and greatest nvidia gpu will be ignored. You can build a terafloping beast ( 3 680s and such ) there will never EVER be software that even utilizes a third of the processing power.

I'm pretty confident that the Ps4 is going to be consumer level I don't need proof of that but you can continue to live in that bubble of yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? Killzone was nothing special, and the Capcom demo hasn't even been confirmed to even be running a PS4, there's a chance it was running on faster hardware.

There's an awful lot of effects going on in that elemental demo and the GPU simply does not have the pixel pushing power to render them like the original GTX680 card that was used does.

Simple as.

Show me something more special than KZSF.If you believe the new elemental demo why not put the same effort in believing the capcom one?...

People buying the latest and greatest nvidia gpu will be ignored. You can build a terafloping beast ( 3 680s and such ) there will never EVER be software that even utilizes a third of the processing power.

I'm pretty confident that the Ps4 is going to be consumer level I don't need proof of that but you can continue to live in that bubble of yours.

Yep. At that point you're just leveraging that extra grunt to achieve stupid high framerates and resolutions.

...With tons of heat and power draw. And $$$.

well killzone was above everything I've ever seen on pc, crysis 3 included
GG weren't even aware of the upgrade to 8GB GDDR5 either, AFAIK. Plus it might even be the same engine they used on PS3 so that they could finish it in time for launch. Not to mention it's a work in progress.

I think it's a matter of time and optimization (or lack thereof). I have no doubt that the PS4 could match (or at least come very close to) the original tech demo with more time.

well killzone was above everything I've ever seen on pc, crysis 3 included

Not really... Killzone was next gen lighting on current generation assets.

Killzone still had visible poly edges and flat looking textures... No POM or tessellation...

This is available to play NOW on PC...

facecasnu.png

Next generation has been here on PC for years....

Killzone still had visible poly edges and flat looking textures... No POM or tessellation...

facecasnu.png

On a handful of titles only, and still nothing matches the likes of agni's philosophy or deep down demo.

I think it was noted by Eurogamer that Knack is running on UE4.

http://www.abload.de/img/facecasnu.png

But did Crysis offer everything in the Killzone 4 demonstration? The scope of the environments in Killzone 4 seemed even larger than even Crysis, and some of the effects like the smoke in some points I have never seen in even Crysis I don't think.

There were so many real-time reflections (focus on the flying ship's outside) and thick plumes of smoke flying around by the end of the Killzone demo that I couldn't imagine any game previously having done that...

I mean it'd be great for a comparison for .gifs showing off Crysis, and .gifs showing off Killzone 4's demo. I would love to see that.

Also it was said that Killzone 4's demo was made in only 2 months and specced for 2.2 GB VRAM, is this really true? The game seems heavily based on the past Killzone titles on PS3, but I'm wondering if this was really confirmed or not.

The same. This year is all rebrands.

Even when cards are rebranded the same market segment gets more powerful since the previous generations x+1 GPU becomes the current generations x GPU.

That said though, this year isn't entirely rebrands. We have no information as yet on when the 7xx series will launch but it looks likely to be some time this year and the 8xxx has more or less been confirmed to be launching in Q4 around the same time the consoles will launch.

But did Crysis offer everything in the Killzone 4 demonstration?

I've not played either but from the video's I've seen of each so far they appear to be reasonably level. Partisan people will always claim one looks better than the other because of "factor y" but generally there doesn't seem much to choose between them.

Aside from the fact that you can play one of them today and the other won't be available for at least 9 months.

On a handful of titles only, and still nothing matches the likes of agni's philosophy or deep down demo.

I'm not sure what the point of comparing games to non gameplay tech demo's is. Agni has already been shown running on the PC so given that it's only a tech demo in the first place it seems to be a fairly useless point of comparison.

Deep Down looked great but again, I'm fairly sure it wasn't actual gameplay. I'd be interested to be shown otherwise though.

While i think its common sense that downgrades would need to happen in some places on a console as opposed to a debug unit, i don't think the UE4 demo on PS4 accurately represents what the PS4's retail unit capability will be.

As some have said, even Epic who made the demo had no idea about the larger amount of ram as it was probably a late addition, and probably based their demo around that along with many others at the conference.

Killzone as well, you could tell, was running on basically the same renderer as the PS3 KZ engine. They would have had to have taken their work directly from Killzone 3 if they were working on this game for the last 2.5 years, around the time they ended killzone 3. At that time as well, PS4's capabilities were surely in flux and much weaker, so it would be easier for them to code to a much lower denominator so they could hit what they needed to in case of any changes that may inhibit their goals.

Basically, KZ Shadowfall is Halo 3. Same engine, just thrown on the newer platform taking use of some more effects due to more available processing power.

In my opinion, the fact that the game even with this looks comparable (i said comparable, not better) to PC Crysis 3 as a launch title says that PS4 has good days ahead once devs wrap their heads around what the console is capable of truly doing.

Back