Is there any evidence to show NV40 can handle PS3.0 Well?

Do we have any evidence that it handles it worse than any other PS3.0 cards? (Where are those Series 5 Shadermark benchmarks, damnit!)

i think the question should be whether dynamic flow control is handled well by nv40. Everything else shouldn't be too much of a problem

The Baron said:
Do we have any evidence that it handles it worse than any other PS3.0 cards? (Where are those Series 5 Shadermark benchmarks, damnit!)
Can we compare it with PS2.0 just like PS1.1/PS1.4!
3dmark03 show me a great example.

Are there any other cards out that handle PS3.0? If not, to what can you compare the performance? :?

tEd said:
i think the question should be whether dynamic flow control is handled well by nv40. Everything else shouldn't be too much of a problem

IIRC the Nula Demo (or whatever that watery tarts name is) uses a single PS3.0 shader with branches for skin/scales etc .It looked like it was running fine in all the online movies. Of course we wont know for sure until we get can get own hands on one :) an NV40 that is

pocketmoon_ said:
tEd said:

IIRC the Nula Demo (or whatever that watery tarts name is) uses a single PS3.0 shader with branches for skin/scales etc .It looked like it was running fine in all the online movies. Of course we wont know for sure until we get can get own hands on one :) an NV40 that is

constant or dynamic?

Since they branch depending on if that part of her body has scales or skin, it's obviously dynamic. Unless they use tiny batches, but that would ruin performance. My guess is they look it up in a texture map.

If the demo is acctually 19 passes, it seems more directed to the Professional 3d visualization market then gaming to me..
Instead of doing a full Render on a scene in a 3d app, you preview it in realtime on the card like this...
then performance isnt as critical, but since it is a techdemo, it should be running good on the card its "demoing" features for hehe..

Re: Is there any evidence to show NV40 can handle PS3.0 Well

engall said:
:?: :?: :?:Or let me wait for NV50/R500?

What a meanless topic designed to get NVidia supports upset.. Of course it run it well - that is why there is games like FarCry and Stalker that will support.

Of course NV50 will run it better! - its the next generation, but it will likely do things that NV4x can't do..

Any rumors of PS4.0 support? Maybe Direct X Next.

I don't feel that benchmarks will make much differences, or says that if there is a new 3dmark, that they designed the logic better for one vender than another vender. What really determines how good the card is, how well the games performed.. With all the games coming out with PS3.x support, I would save that PS3.0 has a signficant advantage.

What defines "a lot" of games? The reality is that developers are not going to adopt 3.0 Shaders this year without some kind of incentive (usually meaning $$$). Reason being is that the target marketing for 3.0 is NIL right now and will be very small this year (relative to PS 2.0 hardware market share). Also, you would think that developers would also have a 2.0 path to address a bigger market. Again, you would think. I really don't see 3.0 being big this year. My personal opinion, assuming Nvidia isn't off in the dark paying some developers $$$ to support 3.0. Also, who is to say the 3.0 shaders look any better than 2.0 shaders? Or better yet, who says they perform any better than the equivalent 2.0 shader?

Oh, we should remember how well they ran 2.0 shaders on NV3x (versus 1.1 shaders) as 3.0 vs. 2.0 on NV40 might have same performance issues :) Longer does not mean faster, it just means slower.

why not use ps 3.0 to run your existing 2.0 shaders more efficient? shouldnt be much work to add support to existing hlsl code.....or am i missing something?

christoph said:
why not use ps 3.0 to run your existing 2.0 shaders more efficient? shouldnt be much work to add support to existing hlsl code.....or am i missing something?

I think that is what the bulk of the upcoming "SM3.0 implementations" will be all about..
doing the same thing, with a small boost in performance..
Some might convert that into eye candy, or use something specific to SM3.0 to create something that would cost too much performance in PS2.0...

Megadrive1988 said:
I'd like to see Nvidia's PS 3.0 performance compared a 3DLabs duel VPU P20 card's PS 3.0 compared to PowerVR Series 5's PS 3.0 8)

I'd like to see one of those cards actually be in existence now 8)

Back