Is the Sony PSP in it's gaining momentum?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Holy shit
:oops:
All that for Monster Hunter2????

Its like watching at the launch of Resident Evil2

Holy shit
:oops:
All that for Monster Hunter2????

Its like watching at the launch of Resident Evil2

Monster Hunter Portable will soon become (or recently became) the first million seller on PSP, actually. So it's a pretty big licence there.

I am really interested (have been for sometime) in a PSP. A price drop to $150 for the core system would make me jump. I do believe they will drop the price this fall.

From magicbox...

- Enterbrain reported that Capcom's PSP action game Monster Hunter Portable 2nd has sold 500,000 copies in Japan on February 22. Here are the first day sales of new titles:
  1. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (PSP, Capcom) - 500,000 copies
  2. Fire Emblem: Akatsuki no Megami (Wii, Nintendo) - 50,000 copies
  3. Naruto Shippuuden: Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Wii, Tomy) - 20,000 copies
  4. Sim City DS (NDS, EA) - 20,000 copies
  5. Trigger Heart Exelica (DC, Warashi) - 10,000 copies
  6. Riot Act [Crackdown] (Xbox 360) - 10,000 copies
  7. Metal Slug Complete (PSP, SNK Playmore) - 10,000 copies

Nope, Castlevania is Konami. Monster Hunter is Capcom. Even the first PSP game hasn't been released to NA, I think.

The first PSP Monster Hunter came out last year in the states -- I want to say early last year (March or April?). It was mostly ignored...

Monster Hunter Portable will soon become (or recently became) the first million seller on PSP, actually. So it's a pretty big licence there.

Nope, Castlevania is Konami. Monster Hunter is Capcom. Even the first PSP game hasn't been released to NA, I think.

The first PSP Monster Hunter came out last year in the states -- I want to say early last year (March or April?). It was mostly ignored...

People, people, I can't believe you missed the awesomeness that was Monster Hunter. It is by far to this date IMO the very best the PSP has to offer. And after spending more than 420 hours on it I would know (that's four hundred and twenty). The only thing holding it back IMO was the lack of infrastructure online play, which is why Xlink Kai was created. I can't believe you guys didn't know about this game, it was by far the most popular (read: only one being played) game on Kai. In fact I can't wait for the second one to be released in English.

It's a very technical, love it or hate it game, but it has a rabid fan following (the time I spent with the game isn't even close to the more hardcore players). It starts really slow (which is why it got awful reviews) and has a steep learning curve, but there isn't anything like it once you really get into it.

The point is, I can certainly understand its success in Japan.

i dont know about momentum.... but i know the downloadable Demos could give a push if they were taken way more seriously by the publishers and sony.

Some games i saw in store, i didn't even thought about buying them, but after playing the Demos i bought 2 of them just like that. One i bought at full price!
medal of honor heroes and Syphon filter.
Same happened with Tekken but after playing my friends copy. I bought it the next day.
I now have 7 games

medal of honor i bought full price and i still sleep bad at night because of it (not because of the game, because its good! and it has 32players multiplayer!) but its 50€ for a low def experience. 50€ i could buy a PC game and play it in my HDTV with 5.1 surround.

syphon was selling for 22€ but still, i only bought it after playing the demo because i was afraid for the controls. It looks really good, its smooth (i hate choppy games) and the controls work! i bought it the next day after the demo. It doesn't suffer much from aliasing so it plays better than medal.

Many demos and game prices around 35€ tops would be sweet.
And every review for a psp game should offer a demo. Gamespot, ign, 1up, try harder for it please.

People, people, I can't believe you missed the awesomeness that was Monster Hunter. It is by far to this date IMO the very best the PSP has to offer. And after spending more than 420 hours on it I would know (that's four hundred and twenty). The only thing holding it back IMO was the lack of infrastructure online play, which is why Xlink Kai was created. I can't believe you guys didn't know about this game, it was by far the most popular (read: only one being played) game on Kai. In fact I can't wait for the second one to be released in English.

It's a very technical, love it or hate it game, but it has a rabid fan following (the time I spent with the game isn't even close to the more hardcore players). It starts really slow (which is why it got awful reviews) and has a steep learning curve, but there isn't anything like it once you really get into it.

The point is, I can certainly understand its success in Japan.

Oh, I own the game, but I was just saying it was mostly ignored.

I didn't really "get" the game, but never played it online (as no wi-fi in house and I didn't feel it was reason enough to switch routers to get it -- had enough stuff to play as is). I tried playing it a while solo and didn't know what I was doing (couldn't figure out how to actually improve my character much -- missions seemed too hard for beginner also), so I gave up and played other stuff.

Oh, I own the game, but I was just saying it was mostly ignored.

I didn't really "get" the game, but never played it online (as no wi-fi in house and I didn't feel it was reason enough to switch routers to get it -- had enough stuff to play as is). I tried playing it a while solo and didn't know what I was doing (couldn't figure out how to actually improve my character much -- missions seemed too hard for beginner also), so I gave up and played other stuff.

The offline missions (the one the village elder gives you) aren't hard at all. Maybe you played the guild missions which are meant for multiplayer (though you can play them alone after getting some decent gear). You can't improve your character per se, you can only get better equipment and items. At the end, even with the best equipment, a lot of skill is required to win the guild missions by yourself.

If you are interested I can give you pointers through PMs, though by prepared to take a hit on your social life if you really get into the game.

The offline missions (the one the village elder gives you) aren't hard at all. Maybe you played the guild missions which are meant for multiplayer (though you can play them alone after getting some decent gear). You can't improve your character per se, you can only get better equipment and items. At the end, even with the best equipment, a lot of skill is required to win the guild missions by yourself.

If you are interested I can give you pointers through PMs, though by prepared to take a hit on your social life if you really get into the game.

I think it was just the village elder missions, but combined with the fact that I had no real idea as to what I was doing (and left to wonder how character progress happened -- I was looking for levels not just gear, so that kind of threw me off). I wasn't really disappointed with the game, as I didn't put much effort into really trying it (since I had too much else laying in wait).

Maybe I'll make another attempt when #2 comes out, but as it is now, I've got too much to play - thanks for the offer though!

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

http://www.m-create.com/jpn/s_ranking.html

01. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 705,281 / NEW
02. (PS2, Alchemist) Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - 80,002 / NEW
03. (WII, Nintendo) Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn - 75,359 / NEW
04. (NDS, EA) SimCity DS - 50,826 / NEW
05. (NDS, Level 5) Prof. Layton and the Mysterious Village - 49,979 / 186,716
06. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Sports - 47,053 / 1,090,736
07. (WII, Takara-Tomy) Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX - 45,792 / NEW
08. (NDS, Square-Enix) Dragon Quest Monsters Joker - 40,507 / 1,174,576
09. (WII, Nintendo) Wii Play - 35,811 / 944,586
10. (NDS, Nintendo) Picross DS - 26,693 / 183,357
11. (PS2, Banpresto) Lupin the 3rd: Death for Lupin from Love of Money
12. (NDS, Nintendo) More Brain Age
13. (NDS, Nintendo) New Super Mario Bros.
14. (NDS, Nintendo) Hotel Dusk: Room 215
15. (NDS, Nintendo) Animal Crossing Wild World
16. (NDS, Bandai-Namco) Keroro Gunsou Enshuu da yo! Zen-in Shuugou Part 2
17. (NDS, Nintendo) Wario: Master of Disguise
18. (NDS, Marvelous Interactive) Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On
19. (NDS, Nintendo) Common Knowledge Training
20. (NDS, Nintendo) Mario Kart DS
21. (360, Microsoft) Crackdown
22. (NDS, Konami) Death Note
23. (NDS, Nintendo) Brain Age
24. (PS2, Nippon Ichi Software) Soul Cradle: Sekai wo Kurau Mono
25. (PSP, Bandai-Namco) Tales of Destiny 2
26. (NDS, Pokemon) Pokémon Diamond
27. (NDS, Nintendo) English Training
28. (NDS, IE Institute) Kanji Brain Test 2M
29. (NDS, Sega) Bleach DS 2nd: Kokui Hirameku Requiem
30. (PS2, Capcom) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
31. (DS, Pokemon) Pokemon Pearl
32. (PSP, SNK Playmore) Metal Slug Complete ~7.6k
33. (Wii, Nintendo) Odoru Made in Wario
34. (DS, Bandai Namco) Heisei Board of Education DS
35. (DS, Spike) IQ Supplement DS
36. (Wii, Nintendo) The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
37. (PSP, Capcom) Monster Hunter Portable ~932k LTD
38. (PS2, Konami) Prince of Tennis CARD HUNTER
39. (DS, Nintendo) 1000 DS Recipe
40. (DS, Rocket Company) Kanken DS
41. (DS, Sega) Love and Berry DS Collection
42. (DS, Nintendo) Kirby Squeek Squad
43. (PS2, SNK Playmore) Garou Densetsu Battle Archive 2 ~7k
44. (DS, Nintendo) Tetris DS
45. (PS2, Marvelous) Aaa! Megami samaa!
46. (DS, Sega) Sangokushi Taisen DS
47. (DS, Capco) Megaman Star Force Pegasus
48. (DS, Sega) Puyo Puyo
49. (PS3, SCE) Untold Legends Dark Kingdom ~6.6k
50. (DS, Konami) NOVA Usagi no Game de Ryuugaku

NDS: 31
PS2: 7
Wii: 6
PSP: 4
XBOX360: 1
PS3: 1

DSL 136,128
PSP 100,210
Wii 78,506
PS3 19,315
PS2 15,054
Xbox360 4,183
GBASP 1,035
GBM 907
GC 323
DS 132
GBA 59

The inevitable has happened.

MH:p has passed the million mark in Japan.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/03/06/103,1173161225,68094,0,0.html

Is that the first Monster Hunter, or the one just released now? Because the picture in your link is clearly from MH2, but I can't read Japanese so I don't know which one you meant.

Edit: Ok with the help of babelfish it seems it means Monster Hunter Portable 2 has passed the millon units mark.
I'd like to know how the first one did LTD in Japan and the US. And when are we getting this game in English??? My fingers are itching already.

Yeah, it's about MH:p 2.

It could have been about either, but I think that part 2 got there just before part 1 did. The second one looks to be more successful in other words - it got there a fair bit faster too, after all :D.

Back