Is Crysis max'd out the benchmark for Xbox3 and PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
Forget this gen! It's time to look ahead. Having played through some of Crysis last night at the highest setting (yes, it barely played but i wanted to see the IQ!) and seeing the 1up show footage, it is quite clear that Crysis is in a league of it's own and then some.

I'm usually quite critical of stuff but this is f'in ridiculous. Clearly the next gen hardware will be much better but what will be the benchmark? Crysis on highest of settings at 1080P at a locked 30fps? I'm still waiting to see what Crysis will look like when the devs open it all up as better PC hardware comes out.

Beyond a game like Crysis fully cranked up, I think we're getting into deminishing returns on how much better games can look.

Considering that there is probably 3 to 5 years before we see any new systems, the launch titles should be able to put Crysis to shame.

Honestly I think the only thing that would be hold back the current systems from doing something like Crysis is the small amount of memory

Considering that there is probably 3 to 5 years before we see any new systems, the launch titles should be able to put Crysis to shame.

Considering that Far Cry still holds up against some next-gen games I would think Crysis will do even better especially since the devs ahve said they wil ladd features over time.

I should add that my 8800GTX runs the game at max (v.high) with ~30fps at 720p and that is some serious graphics!

Honestly I think the only thing that would be hold back the current systems from doing something like Crysis is the small amount of memory

No even if they had more RAM/VRAM I dont see how they would be able to do it, both by comparing against other games on the market and to be released for either consoles 2008/2009 and what devs have said.
Also the devs have said that the consoles simply lack the perfomance to run it in all its glory and thus they would have to scale back on graphics and design (will dig up links later). :)

And looking at how taxing it is for PC hardware then they would have to scale back a lot IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forget this gen! It's time to look ahead. Having played through some of Crysis last night at the highest setting (yes, it barely played but i wanted to see the IQ!) and seeing the 1up show footage, it is quite clear that Crysis is in a league of it's own and then some.

I'm usually quite critical of stuff but this is f'in ridiculous. Clearly the next gen hardware will be much better but what will be the benchmark? Crysis on highest of settings at 1080P at a locked 30fps? I'm still waiting to see what Crysis will look like when the devs open it all up as better PC hardware comes out.

Beyond a game like Crysis fully cranked up, I think we're getting into deminishing returns on how much better games can look.

With the improved features that Crytek will add over-time (that according to them are heavy "perfomance drainers") then shure it will certainly make the next xbox/PS3 run for its money when targeting 1080p, 4+xAA, 16+xAF and 30/60fps.

When you can put all these into a stable, quiet US$399 package, then we talk :)

But then we will never talk since you cant put that much "horse-power" into such a small block (xbox360 is noiser than my G80 and PC though) and at such a low-price. Sorry but a Ferrari cost much becouse it perfoms better than a family Fiat car, but you get what you pay for though! :LOL: ;)

But then we will never talk since you cant put that much "horse-power" into such a small block (xbox360 is noiser than my G80 and PC though) and at such a low-price. Sorry but a Ferrari cost much becouse it perfoms better than a family Fiat car, but you get what you pay for though! :LOL: ;)

Then please leave Xbox3 and PS4 out of this thread :)
Perhaps this thread should not even be in Console Games/Console Forum.

Then please leave Xbox3 and PS4 out of this thread :)
Perhaps this thread should not even be in Console Games/Console Forum.

Why? they are the only ones that would be cappable (hoppefully) of running Crysis at full quality! ;)

No good reason why we can't talk about our expectations for next gen of console in the console forum. Instead of what if's, we actually have a real life example of the "wow!" factor that the next gen could bring in a game like Crysis.

The main problem with consoles has ever been the amount of RAM available for texture storage. Presume the next round of consoles give us 8x increase in RAM, and you can do the math on whether or not a PC game can be done on consoles.

You can do the math if we presume an 8x increase in memory for next gen.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1004.1210.04388.htm?Page=2
Cevat Yerli said:
... you cannot get Crysis as it is on PC on any console. What you would have to do is compromise the design and the level design – in order of the PS3 and Xbox 360 regards you have to fulfill the memory constraints. Even if you stream you would have to consider the constraints. You could stream, you could do that, we know that. I tell them, “we’re already streaming on PC.” If you sum up all the memory we need with all the streaming in the background you’re talking about 10 gigs or something. You’d load everything up front. So from that angle, the consoles just offer a memory difference which is the most important statement here – the memory difference in the PS3 and Xbox 360 doesn’t allow Crysis – the same on console as it is on PC. In order to make Crysis’s gameplay [on console] you would have to make a derivative Crysis and optimize it for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

With respect to gameplay, I assume he means the infinity billion key functions you can map in the game.

In terms of shader effects... I would wait until CryTek makes a game on consoles to judge that. The high geometry load in Crysis doesn't seem out of the ordinary for consoles (see Uncharted, lost planet, dead rising).

PS4 should have around 2GB system ram and 2GB vram with an Nvidia GPU generations ahead of the G80 (if they stick with Nvidia). With a release date between 2011-2012. Second generation games for a system like this will look better, as well as being technically superior.

No good reason why we can't talk about our expectations for next gen of console in the console forum. Instead of what if's, we actually have a real life example of the "wow!" factor that the next gen could bring in a game like Crysis.

Ok, think of the best that Crisis can run now, on today's best hardware available in stores for consumers. Think of the PS3 as being out 1 year. Think of the PS2 being released 6-7 years ago. That means that the best the PC had 5-6 years ago, is what in retrospect you expected the PS3 to be capable of doing. Compare that to what the PS3 is doing now.

Similarly, look at the hardware specs of the PS2 when it was released. 32MB Ram, 4MB VRAM, etc. Now PS3 with 512MB has something like 14x that. So what will the PS4 have? 7GB? Hard to imagine or even think about these things.

Sure, an engine like Crysis can be kept up to date, but how is that going to be relevant to fantasizing about consoles in the next gen? At best, Crysis's engine will age well, but has experienced a lot of facelifts. At worst, Crysis will look positively old by that time.

To be honest, it seems a bit like a futile exercise. I think far better is to think that just maybe, Crysis is what console games will look like at the end of this gen. Maybe with some tricks, but this gen is still in its infancy. Remember last gen went from Tekken Tag to God of War 2. ;)

Why? they are the only ones that would be cappable (hoppefully) of running Crysis at full quality! ;)

RobertR1 said:

...because Nebula said:
"But then we will never talk since you cant put that much "horse-power" into such a small block (xbox360 is noiser than my G80 and PC though) and at such a low-price."

If it's never, I assume it will not ever happen at US$399. If everything is possible, why stop at Crysis ? Would some of the offline rendering techniques be possible also ? (I have no idea, just asking)

If one of your technical guys would like to take a shot at this:

Would an Intel quad core at 3ghz with 2GB of RAM and a 8800ultra be enough to run this game in 1080P/30fps at the highest of quality if the focus of development and optimization was to that specific hardware set only? I know it's a broad question but I'm just trying to figure out how much more efficient game development is for homogenous vs heterogenous hardware configurations.

Would an Intel quad core at 3ghz with 2GB of RAM and a 8800ultra be enough to run this game in 1080P/30fps at the highest of quality if the focus of development and optimization was to that specific hardware set only? I know it's a broad question but I'm just trying to figure out how much more efficient game development is for homogenous vs heterogenous hardware configurations.

I wonder instead if they would replace several textures for high-res ones with occlusion parallax instead of having 2-layers of detail textures done by shaders for all texturing. That would up teh perfomance quite a bit I would think.

I run quad at 3.0, 4 gig ram ddr2 800 (4-4-4-12), 8800gtx sli, with very high and high settings @1200p and get about 40 fps average but it dips to 30 at heavy scenes.

So with the setup you are suggesting you would need to tone some settings down but it would play well and look good @30fps.

Dont PC gpu's like double in power in 6 months??

A 9800 GTX should be very very decent for Crysis and then when you work out how PC gpu's evole power wise with how long we have to wait for PS4 and the next xbox i think Crysis will be a very old looking game.

While Crysis looks amazing, I expect the next, next gen consoles to be able to run it to a similar extent that the 360/PS3 can run Unreal 2 level graphics today.

However its likely that PC gamers will be looking to Crysis's sequel by the time the next consoles launch. And that will likely have graphics as far above Crysis as Crysis is above Farcry.

Then again, its possible the next, next gen consoles won't be anywhere near as powerful as we would expect from the existing model. Wii has proven that you don't need a lot of power to be successful in the market and given the diminishing returns in technology plus increasing development costs the next, next gen console may only be 2-4x more powerful than the current gen while focussing on more gameplay orientated innovations. If thats the case then Crysis should represent an average level of graphical quality for them IMO.

I don't expect anything on the level of Crysis in this gen. IMO closed box architecture is hugely overated as an advatange and given the beating Crysis puts on PC's which are hugely more powerful than the consoles, I don't see them being able to pull off anything like it.

PS4 should have around 2GB system ram and 2GB vram with an Nvidia GPU generations ahead of the G80 (if they stick with Nvidia). With a release date between 2011-2012. Second generation games for a system like this will look better, as well as being technically superior.

I'd start worrying if we cross 4Gb memory for next gen (PS4/X720). That would mean going to 64bit address space and I know there will be some serious pains with that. Just look what happened when PS3 was originally going to use 64bit pointers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back