Is 720P rez 50 or 60Hz in Euroland?

kyleb said:
The "not" is supposed to be there, as 1024x768 native 4:3 displays do not qualify for the HD-Ready mark since they have less than 720 active lines when running 16:9. On the other hand, the plasma's you mention do qualify as they have 768 active lines when displaying 16:9 content as that is their native aspect ratio. So again; not any 1024x768 display can qualify for the HD Ready logo, but only the widescreen ones.

Oh right, yes i understand now.

Yes, we're saying the same thing more or less.

In the end, if someone buys a TV with the HD-Ready logo on it, he's safe... Until we get the next HD standards, but it's gonna take a loooong time...

london-boy said:
Oh right, yes i understand now.

Yes, we're saying the same thing more or less.

In the end, if someone buys a TV with the HD-Ready logo on it, he's safe... Until we get the next HD standards, but it's gonna take a loooong time...

Well he's safe in a way that the picture might look good, but not safe in a way that he get's true 720p 1280x720 picture.

edit:

kyleb said:
Maven is talking about signal formats, and he is right. You are talking about the native resolution of the display and you are partially, it is 720 lines minimum but specifically 720 lines in widescreen. So not any 1024x768 display can qualify for the HD Ready logo, but only the widescreen ones. There wasn't any screw up in the way they laid that out either, they couldn't specify horizontal resolutions since analog displays don't have a discrete horizontal resolution.

Oh yes I didn't remember the widescreen thing.

Dr Evil said:
Well he's safe in a way that the picture might look good, but not safe in a way that he get's true 720p 1280x720 picture.

For those few plasmas that have non-square pixels, maybe yes, but they look so good he would hardly tell the difference. As a matter of fact, the Panny 500 is regarded as the best plasma around in Europe wrt picture quality, even against sets with "true" 1280x720 resolution.

Much like most LCD screens have 1368x768 resolution and scale all picture to that resolution. People get scared that 720 images will not look good but they look just perfect, whether it's native resolution or not.

Reactions: Geo
london-boy said:
Much like most LCD screens have 1368x768 resolution and scale all picture to that resolution. People get scared that 720 images will not look good but they look just perfect, whether it's native resolution or not.

Well it depends on the scaler a bit atleast, X360 does good upscaling, so it's not an issue there...
I'm sure that Panasonic plasma has a nice picture, but I wish it had those nice square pixels:)

If you are sitting close enough to see the shape the physical pixels then you'd be better off with a higher resolution display anyway, if you aren't sitting that close then the pixels could be shaped like dimands and clovers for all it matters.

kyleb said:
If you are sitting close enough to see the shape the physical pixels then you'd be better off with a higher resolution display anyway, if you aren't sitting that close then the pixels could be shaped like dimands and clovers for all it matters.

Rainbows and Red balloons, too?

Well, actually hexagonal pixels would be the optimal shape.
They would cover the whole screen, without to much black space, and have better destribution of aliasing vertically, horizontally and diagonally.

There are two HD logos in Europe, both issued by EICTA

HD-Ready - means that a television, projector and similiar devices according to the HD-Ready standard can display High Definition material. By the way, the standard does not say anything about 60Hz being mandatory. It only mentions 50Hz.

HDTV - A receiver/Tuner and similiar devices that can process/decode High Definition data according to the HDTV standard.

A television can of course have both of these logos. If it does, then it means it has an inbuilt tuner.

Shompola said:
HD-Ready - means that a television, projector and similiar devices according to the HD-Ready standard can display High Definition material. By the way, the standard does not say anything about 60Hz being mandatory. It only mentions 50Hz.
No, at least not according to a 3-page article from the most recent c't magazine on selection criteria for flat-screen TVs.
A display is "HD ready" when it fulfills all of the following
- 720 active display lines in widescreen mode (16:9 +/- 5%)
- digital signal input (HDMI or DVI) with HDCP
- analogue component input (YPrPb, YCrCb)
- from both inputs playback of signals with 1280x720 (720p, progressive), 1920x1080 (1080i, interlaced), both with 50Hz and 60Hz.

I said according to the HD-Ready standard.. Dunno what is so hard do comprehend that? If peole want to look up details, head over to EICTAs site.

And no again they do not mention 60hz at all. I am talking about the actual white paper standard here and not what a magazine says,

Shompola said:
I said according to the HD-Ready standard.. Dunno what is so hard do comprehend that? If peole want to look up details, head over to EICTAs site.

And no again they do not mention 60hz at all. I am talking about the actual white paper standard here and not what a magazine says,

According to the 'HD Ready' license agreement document (Section 4, page 11):

london-boy said:
For those few plasmas that have non-square pixels, maybe yes, but they look so good he would hardly tell the difference. As a matter of fact, the Panny 500 is regarded as the best plasma around in Europe wrt picture quality, even against sets with "true" 1280x720 resolution.

My Panasonic PDP has a res of 1368x768 anyway - I think most of the larger panels are. There's even a 1080p panel (65") which looks amazing in the flesh. Shame my room is nowhere big enough and my pockets aren't deep enough.

I'll wait for the HD thing to settle down a bit before going for a 1080p panel to replace my existing set.

Incidentally it's worth pointing out that a few less scrupulous suppliers are claiming "HD Ready" about panels and displays that obviously aren't - the thing to look for is the official logo rather than just any random claim by the seller.

I for one find it mildly bemusing that they chose "HD Ready" for displays and "HDTV" for sources...

LB was surelly talking about the 37" and 42" HD plasmas which do have a native resolution of 1024x768. The upcoming 1080p plasmas will come in both 65" and 50" so if you have room for a 1366x768 plasma then you will surely have room for a 1080p one, but having the wallet for it is a whole nother story.

Back