Introducing the Nintendo Gameboy Player! (for Cube)

iscariot

Newcomer
021119.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/021119.html

The Game Boy software can enjoy itself on TV screen.
"About a NINTENDO game cube Game Boy player"

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (head office : Minami-ku, Kyoto-shi, the president : Satoshi Iwata) puts on the market "the NINTENDO game cube Game Boy player (henceforth, Game Boy player)" which enables the play of the software of a handheld game machine "Game Boy" on TV screen next spring.

Exclusive software of "by equipping home TV game machine "NINTENDO game cube" main part bottom with Game Boy player", it is "Game Boy", the "Game Boy color", and the "Game Boy advance" * The play of (the number about 1,400 sorts / of number abbreviation of domestic total sale 170 million book and titles, and as of March 31, 2002) is attained by the controller of a game cube on domestic TV screen. Moreover, a "NINTENDO game cube GBA cable" can be used and the Game Boy advance can also be operated as a controller.
Of course, if a game cube is equipped with the "Game Boy player", in order to function as one set of a Game Boy advance, communication and waging war of the Game Boy advances also become possible by connecting it and the Game Boy advance of a stock by "the communication cable only for the Game Boy advances."

While beginning "Pocket-Monsters ruby sapphire" and "tradition gods' try force &4 ‚Â sword of ZERUDA" towards next spring from an end of the year and putting many good role playing games on the market for the Game Boy advances, at home, a character is raised on TV screen and the play style of communicating and playing a match against a friend with a handheld game machine outside is born.

This the "Game Boy player" has planned sale in May of the same year in Japan, and has planned deployment in Europe and Australia after that probably beforehand in March, 2003 and North America.

* Some Game Boy software cannot be used.

Brand name NINTENDO game cube Game Boy player
NINTENDO GAMECUBE GAME BOY PLAYER
Sale scheduled day March, 2003
Manufacturer's suggested price 5,000 yen (according to tax) schedule
Size Width [ of 150mm ] x height [ of 57.3mm ] x depth of 155.1mm
Mass About 370g
Color variation Four kinds (a NINTENDO game cube main part and same color)
Use power supply It supplies from a NINTENDO game cube.
The maximum power consumption 0.8W (NINTENDO game cube ŠÃœ‚Ãœ‚¸)
Others The Game Boy player startup disk enclosure

Ingenu:

> Interesting idea, let's see what they come with, gameplay wise.

Gameplay wise? It's a device that will let you play Game Boy games on your TV without the need for an actual Game Boy unit - nothing more, nothing less. There are some pretty damn awesome GB games out there so if you don't have a GB or can't stand the tiny screen this is an excellent opportunity to find out what you've been missing out on.

Wow! A Game Boy accessory (Game Boy Player) for your Game Boy Advance accessory (Game Cube)! ;)

Doesn't look like you can have it and the network adapter hooked up at the same time though...

zurich said:
Wow! A Game Boy accessory (Game Boy Player) for your Game Boy Advance accessory (Game Cube)! ;)

Doesn't look like you can have it and the network adapter hooked up at the same time though...

look at here, there is at leat two expansion ports on the GC:
system_header.jpg

and the gameboy player use a different one that means the broadband one is free.

If you say so, the network adapter shape seems to correspond to the raised "insert" on the GameBoy player to me.

Or maybe not. Pffft, shrug.

Didn't they do this with Super Nintendo and Gameboy? I seem to remember something about *finally* being able to put GB games into color, even though it was something like 16 ugly ass colors.

zurich said:
If you say so, the network adapter shape seems to correspond to the raised "insert" on the GameBoy player to me.

Or maybe not. Pffft, shrug.

look at the picture, the connector the gameboy player uses is rather in the corner of the console, while the broadband adapter is more in the middle.
and the shape of the connector used by the gameboy player is more "squarish".

Clashman: Yeah, Super Game Boy.

I believe that Donkey Kong was the first title that had been programmed for it. The game worked on the normal GB, but it had custom borders when used on the SGB. I believe that they resembled the DK arcade cabinet.

It's too far to the back... It uses the highspeed port. The network adaptors use serial port 1 which sits in front of the highspeed port. Then there's still the available serial port 2 on the other side as well that's available for whatever else...

Yep the GCN has two slots one for the network/modem and the other is a high speed serial port.

Three, not two...

This is cool BUT...

why mess with this when (if I'm not going to be travelling and just want to play GBA games in my home) I can just play the games on my PC and with improved graphics?

Hate to say it like that...

you could not have a peecee.

you daddy could not want you to use his peecee.

you could want to use your superb stereo setup.

or to enjoy you gba graphics on your hdtv 28 inches teevee.

;)

Best peripheral of next year! Online-kits and emulators can sock it!

Let's just hope there's at least an option *not to* zoom/interpolate/filter the screen. I want my pixels intact and non-interlaced!

I'm quite curious if my vertical split routine for GBC will work on this.. :)

Back