Introducing the Nintendo Gameboy Player! (for Cube)

Some of the best games this gen have been released on GBA. I'd rather pay 30 bucks for a spectacular game that is played on a handheld than 50 bucks for a mediocre console title.

now, if you like to play new old-school 2d games legally, you don't have many choices.

neither the xbox, the GC, or the PS2 could provide you this type of games.
the gba seems to be the obvious choice.

so the GBA is interesting not only to the ppl who like to play while they're travelling but also to ppl who enjoy old-school gaming.. and these ppl will enjoy the possibility they now have to play it on their TV which is a lot better than the handheld screen.

now there is some speculation at the possibilty you could play your GB* games online. a lot of these games are already networked, all nintendo would need to do is to replace the physical cables by logical ones over internet.

Ozymandis said:
This is cool BUT...

why mess with this when (if I'm not going to be travelling and just want to play GBA games in my home) I can just play the games on my PC and with improved graphics?

Hate to say it like that...

I'd rather play my GBA games on my 36" WEGA XBR than my 21" Hitachi computer monitor..

;)

That and I'd rather enjoy it on my stereo system than my headphones. :)

I'm definitely getting this.

Natoma said:
Ozymandis said:
This is cool BUT...

why mess with this when (if I'm not going to be travelling and just want to play GBA games in my home) I can just play the games on my PC and with improved graphics?

Hate to say it like that...

I'd rather play my GBA games on my 36" WEGA XBR than my 21" Hitachi computer monitor..

;)

61" HDTV 8)

cybamerc said:
Some of the best games this gen have been released on GBA. I'd rather pay 30 bucks for a spectacular game that is played on a handheld than 50 bucks for a mediocre console title.

Other than Golden Sun 1 & 2, Advanced War, and maybe Yoshi, I have no idea what spectacular games you are talking about.

Emulators also let you save the game anytime you want and in 10 different slots, which is a major plus in some games.

:eek: Ozy, you don't like GBA? What a shame >_<

For me, portable gaming always boosted my attention span for gaming. I guess it's one of a comfort factor. I play console games more than PC games because I find sitting on the couch more comfortable, and I play handheld games more than console games because I find lying on the bed more comfortable. I guess I'm one of proud (and recklessly stupid) dude who enjoyed playing SNES Final Fantasy IV and VI through GameGear TV tuner inside the comfort of my bed. (I wouldn't try THAT again, but boy, what an experience!)

Playing Shining Force II on Nomad was far more satisfying experience than playing it on either Genesis or PC emu. ;) And I didn't even touch NGPC emu cuz none of my gamepads and keyboards have as great response as my NGPC thumbpad, which is important to pull off some crazy combos.

That being said, I do dislike GBA for having crappiest lighting condition a portable screen can have. but with Afterburner installation, I sure will enjoy it more than I would play it on computer monitor. I do agree with you for expensive GBA game prices. GBA games having prices as expensive as some of DC games (of that day) are simply ridiculous. We already know of Nintendo's high license fee. but this time, the devs have to pay dearly for meager storage spaces. Ever wonder why Golden Sun : the Lost Ages is one of few games that are 128Mbits? cuz Nintendo makes it expensive for the others ;p but overall, I find playing portable versions of games I played on SNES a blessing. So I suggest you give GBA another chance. :)

Eminem said:
cybamerc said:

Other than Golden Sun 1 & 2, Advanced War, and maybe Yoshi, I have no idea what spectacular games you are talking about.

Emulators also let you save the game anytime you want and in 10 different slots, which is a major plus in some games.

Well let's see, we have Golden Sun 1 and 2, Advance Wars, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, SMW, Megaman Battle Network 1 and 2, and soon 3, F-Zero Maximum Velocity, Metroid Fusion (WOOHOO), Megaman ZERO, Sonic Advance, Breath of Fire 1 and 2, Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis, Tony Hawk 2 3 and 4, Castlevania (name one of 'em :p).

Probably more, those are just all the good GBA games I've actually PLAYED.

And there'll be more coming up soon (stuff like FF Tactics, though I didn't like the PSX game much [note that FFT GBA is a NEW game, not a port], an original Mario (you know it'll happen :p), Zelda 3...).

Looking at GBA's library is like looking at PSX and PS2's - there are a LOT of mediocre games, but a few real gems are sitting in there.

cybamerc said:

I don't agree with either of your points. Although Golden Sun has caught my eye as being a solid RPG, and Metroid Fusion is pretty good, the rest of the stuff on GBA to date I'd file under "forgettable". Even those two games I'd be leery of paying 30 dollars for.

Natoma said:

;)

For me, I'd rather have the games on my monitor. Although I do have a 32 inch Toshiba HDTV, I can use the filters on emulator and get a superior picture even if it is on my small monitor. And I far prefer headphones in any scenario :)

To each his (or her) own I guess.

KOF said:
:eek: Ozy, you don't like GBA? What a shame >_<

Nope, I don't care for GBA a bit. And as you mention, lack of a backlight is disappointing. Actually, it's a killer for me, as the only time I could see playing a portable system is in bed.

I'll stick with my Game Gear when I ever need a portable system, thanks :D

Hehehe, but I still would pay 50 bucks for that spectacular game to be played on TV instead of small GBA screens, which I think is killing my eyes. I think I played more GBA games this year than any other consoles. This gadget is indeed a welcome :)

I have Yu Gi Oh for the GBA (gotta admit it's sad to have a computer beat you by throwing out a CyberStein+ BEUD combo on the first turn or a Exodia combo on the 3rd draw (damn lucky)

Golden Sun awesome game

Breath of Fire II awesome game as well

Dragon Warrior III -GBC game but I like it too

Super Mario World (great game from SNES days)

Phantasy Star I, II , III is coming as well .

Eminem said:
Tagrineth, you played Golden Sun 2 already? :rolleyes:

Yep! Japanese version. I couldn't tell any new features offhand, what with not understanding any Japanese, but the core gameplay is about the same, and the battle graphics are SLIGHTLY improved. :)

Back