Interview with Ken Kutaragi by EET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kb-Smoker

Regular
Believe this is a new interview... :???:

Ken Kutaragi, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc., proposed the underpinnings of the Cell processor to IBM engineers as part of a next-generation gaming platform that would fully realize the "computer" portion of computer entertainment. That system, the Cell-powered Playstation 3, was unveiled at the recent Electronic Entertainment Expo. In the wake of a management restructuring that may indicate Sony brass was not of one mind on the best path for the company, Kutaragi told EE Times that the PS3 will kick off the new "computer revolution" he has dreamed about since he proposed the first Playstation console.

EET: When did you first get the idea for the Cell processor?
Ken Kutaragi: It was immediately after we completed the development of the PS2. [The Playstation2 was introduced in 2000.] After we presented the papers on the Emotion Engine processor at the International Solid-State Circuits Conference and the main work proceeded to the building of the PS2 console, I started thinking about what would be next.

EET: Then the Cell processor was conceived for gaming?
Kutaragi: No, it is for computing-but I wanted to change the concept of computers. The name of our company is Sony Computer Entertainment; I wanted to merge computer technology and entertainment. It may be regarded as game applications for the time being, but I wanted to realize the day when "computer entertainment" would mean all such entertainment applications, including games.

From the engineers' side, what we are working on is computer technology. When we designed the Emotion Engine, for example, we strongly based it on computer technology and deployed a computer architecture for it.

The PS1 and PS2 were based on computer technology, but they were still transitional. At the next stage, I hoped to tackle computer technology from the start. I have harbored that hope since the 1980s.

Now, in the third phase, I have aimed at bringing about a computer revolution, teaming with the world's largest computer company and with Toshiba, a longtime partner since the days of the Playstation 2.

Please lock if old.. :oops:

Link to source

It is FORBIDDEN to post COMPLETE ARTICLES !
Only post relevant/interesting parts of an interview and link to source.

It's funny KK keeps talking about computers when Nintendo were the ones who named their first home console famicom (family computer). Just another incidence where KK tries to make it sound like they're doing something completely different. I bet when PS4 arrives he'll go on about how PS4 has a revolutionary controller.

And, ironically, I bet you'll still be around trolling in an attempt to downplay everything and anything the man has to say.

Ohh, and I'm with Londonboy; definitely an old article. We've been here, done that, have the t-shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's really no downplaying needed since KK doesn't need any help making a fool out of himself...in fact I'm still laughing at his 4GHz TFLOPS CELL claim.

I'm still laughing at the 1TFLOP X360 with 256GBs total bandwidth!

Come on PCEngine, get over yourself. They are ALL liars and PR freaks.

london-boy said:
I'm still laughing at the 1TFLOP X360 with 256GBs total bandwidth!

Come on PCEngine, get over yourself. They are ALL liars and PR freaks.

True, KK just makes me laugh though not just what he says but how he says it and how he carries himself...it's truely hilarious. Everytime I want a good laugh, I'd only need to watch the official PS3 unveiling video.

Chillax people

I lock the thread, seeing that the article has already been discussed.

BTW people, we should discuss rendering technologies only, not the people credibility.
But I guess everybody already know that.;)

And also, no need to call others troll or anything. It doesn't add no nothing positive to the thread or the board. Use the report button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back