Interview with David Kirk

Did you see him dig into "other vendors"

That brings me to a point about doing it right, versus cutting corners. Do you know that one of the hardware vendors only antialiases the top and bottom of the screen, but not the middle? That’s because in one of the main benchmarks, Quake3, you don’t see much difference. But, now you know: look for it, and you’ll see it. Here’s another one: do you know that one of the vendors who makes a lot of noise about anisotropic filtering doesn’t even do it right? It only works for almost horizontal or almost vertical edges. Try this. Fire up a flight simulator, and fly at a 30 or 45 degree angle, and look how jaggy things get.

Funny guess he has not seen CS or other games on a GF3/4 card and notice how well their AA works all of the time with those Alpha textures. :rolleyes: Sorry I think he has done a great job but this is a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black. I wish he would just stick to techincal stuff like he use to and leave the cheap shots to the PR people as after all its their job :)

Hmmm. I'm not overwhelmed by the phong shading example. Wasting instructions to normalise constant vectors?

Oh and Phong shading does not use half vectors. It's Blinn's technique they appear to be describing.

jb said:
Did you see him dig into "other vendors"

That brings me to a point about doing it right, versus cutting corners. Do you know that one of the hardware vendors only antialiases the top and bottom of the screen, but not the middle? That’s because in one of the main benchmarks, Quake3, you don’t see much difference. But, now you know: look for it, and you’ll see it. Here’s another one: do you know that one of the vendors who makes a lot of noise about anisotropic filtering doesn’t even do it right? It only works for almost horizontal or almost vertical edges. Try this. Fire up a flight simulator, and fly at a 30 or 45 degree angle, and look how jaggy things get.

Funny guess he has not seen CS or other games on a GF3/4 card and notice how well their AA works all of the time with those Alpha textures. :rolleyes: Sorry I think he has done a great job but this is a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black. I wish he would just stick to techincal stuff like he use to and leave the cheap shots to the PR people as after all its their job :)

He also seems to be getting confused between antialiasing and anisotropic filtering - I doubt if the texture filtering gets _jaggy_ at 45 degree angles...

It seems his sideswipes are a bit ill considered. Maybe he was typing in a hurry to get them all in...

D.Kirk on Voodooextreme said:
"Right now, with GeForce4, antialiasing is almost the same speed as aliased rendering"

Wow, I guess it'll be able to keep up with R300 after all then... :rolleyes:

- Andy.

After reading that "interview", I have to ask... is Kirk a scientist or a salesman? Or worse, the latter hiding behind the guise of the former...

GraphixViolence said:
After reading that "interview", I have to ask... is Kirk a scientist or a salesman? Or worse, the latter hiding behind the guise of the former...

Or worse...

I conducted this from the last 8 or so interviews of his.
I didn't even bother reading this one...

Do I see Dr. Kirk, or Spin Doctor Kirk?

I believe that in less than a year, we will see real-time hardware rendered graphics as good as Monsters Inc, Final Fantasy, and Shrek.

nv30 must be REALLY special. What's it's strategy for motion blur again?

Pixel programs are harder to write.

Not on GF3/4 class hardware, where you only have 8 instructions. In contrast, some of the 128-instruction vertex shader programs are extremely hairy.

In a few years, I predict that graphics hardware may not even support aliased rendering.

I'm not sure PowerVR did....

There was a miscommunication - the interview wasn't supposed to appear before 31 July. I just pulled it.

In any case, the content should essentially be the same however.

WRT David and his salesmanship - what do you expect? He works for NVIDIA :rolleyes:

And what should I exactly be ashamed of?

GraphixViolence said:
Kirk is an extremely smart guy. Unless you trade emails with him about 3D technology, you probably won't know that of course. It's easier to get non-PR answers when you talk direct (which was the case between me and Kirk) but sadly NVIDIA has decided that Kirk can't answer directly to members of the press.

Anyone who works for a company and is dedicated to the company he works for is that company's salesman.

Reverend said:
Anyone who works for a company and is dedicated to the company he works for is that company's salesman.

and if he isnt to the public he should work elsewhere.

Randell said:
Reverend said:

Um, I think you're confusing "company representative" with "priest". Please try to be a bit less self-righteous.

Reverend said:
There was a miscommunication - the interview wasn't supposed to appear before 31 July. I just pulled it.

WRT David and his salesmanship - what do you expect? He works for NVIDIA :rolleyes:

Well, I stated pretty much the same. ;)

That that was called an "interview", I guess. You definitely have the knowledge to have contradicted some of his implications and assertions, or atleast have gotten more details, but that knowledge went completely to waste in that piece. Any hack could have gotten those answers (and has in the past). It doesn't suite the term "interview" when the interviewer is you, Reverend.

But, all that is just IMO, and it wasn't like it was on THIS site.

Oompa Loompa said:
Randell said:
Reverend said:

Um, I think you're confusing "company representative" with "priest". Please try to be a bit less self-righteous.

:rolleyes: in a basically PR interview people here are attacking David Kirk for being pro his company. I'll be as righteous as I want to be thanks.

Oompa Loompa said:
Randell said:
Reverend said:

well this did come from a reverend :p j/k
anyways, even though I dont particularly agree with some of the things Dr Kirk said, theres no reason to get so overzelous about the whole thing. Every person representing their company does the same thing more or less.

Reverend said:

Whenever something has to be specifically timed like this, you can be assured of its PRness. IMO, this is the kind of journalism (if you can call it that) that we can do without. It seems the distinction between reporter and PR-slut gets blurrier by the day.

What happened to the days when so-called journalists actually communicated what they learned instead of this NDA'd PR cockgobbling?

:-?

David should be pro for his company. Cheap shots from a techincal guy are not needed. It IMHO makes him look bad. Also the fact that nV them self has chosen a higher perfromance method of AA knowing its has issues (alpha textures for one) could be used by another vendor in the SAME mannor (...hey did you know that the reason the GF4 is so fast is that they dont do any AA on textures while our super dupper x6000 does.....). Again I would expect a highly techincal person to still be techincal and pro for his company, while leaving cheap shots to the PR or fanboy groups.

Dolemite said:
Reverend said:

Whenever something has to be specifically timed like this, you can be assured of its PRness. IMO, this is the kind of journalism (if you can call it that) that we can do without. It seems the distinction between reporter and PR-slut gets blurrier by the day.

What happened to the days when so-called journalists actually communicated what they learned instead of this NDA'd PR cockgobbling?

:-?

lol, those days are gone(dont know if they ever existed in this industry). if nvidia pr doesnt get its "cock gobbled" properly, then you can be damn sure the people who are getting the info now, wont be getting any chance of seeing it in the future ;)

Back