Interesting interview with IBM (Cell, backwards compatability...)

macabre said:
I have a (maybe stupid) question.
On 7-SPE cells, will there be a difference when f.e. 1 cell has SPE nr.1 disabled and another one has nr.4 disabled as they are connected to a ring bus ?

It shouldn't have any consequence what so ever. If SPE 4 is disabled, SPE 3 and 5 will be neighbours for all intents and purposes (SPE 4 will never produce traffic/contention on the bus), same way with any other SPE.

Cheers

Jawed said:
Look at DD2 as I posted ealier:

http://www-03.ibm.com/chips/photolibrary/photo10.nsf/WebViewNumber/ED994790FAECFD6900256FEA0062126B

Fours, not fives. At the bottom right under options, there's the option to download the full high resolution version of the picture.

Jawed
Damn!!!! :)

Then it must be DD3 or whatever version they have by now. ;)

There may of course also be some redundancy within the "fours", even though I guess the bulk is made up by the floatingpoint units. From the picture you can also see that not everything is organised in fours.

Nevermind, but I still believe teh SPEs are strong candidates for logic redundancy due to their highly parallel architecture if someone were to implement it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they did say the move from DD2.x to DD3.x was for yields, didn't they? So perhaps the intra-unit redundancy is in play afterall.

Who knows... Reeves needs some lessons in unambiguous interviewing.

Back