Intel quad vs Amd Octa Core

Bought, posting from that machine now ... :) Setup went really fast, too bad the WiFi signal/reception is too weak, getting like 1KB/s. Will do a basic windows performance test and then hook it up to some proper internet thing to download some stuff and update drivers and such.

Bought, posting from that machine now ... :) Setup went really fast, too bad the WiFi signal/reception is too weak, getting like 1KB/s. Will do a basic windows performance test and then hook it up to some proper internet thing to download some stuff and update drivers and such.

get a better antenna :D

So did you get an ssd for your OS drive? When i got one for my OS drive i just did a DD of the exsisting OS Drive and then realigned the partition to make the SSD happy. there are even windows based apps you can download that are designed to do that for you.

get a better antenna :D

So did you get an ssd for your OS drive? When i got one for my OS drive i just did a DD of the exsisting OS Drive and then realigned the partition to make the SSD happy. there are even windows based apps you can download that are designed to do that for you.

My plan is to upgrade when Windows 8 is considered 'safe'. At that time I will buy an SSD, make it my primary drive and install the OS on it. I will also update my old pc with an SSD around that time with an SSD and pass it to my wife.

You've went with the non-K 3770? How much cheaper it is compared to the K one, if it was available as an option?

Last edited by a moderator:
You've went with the non-K 3770? How much cheaper it was compared to the K one?

Honestly? I didn't even know there was a difference, but I now understand the K version is the one that has HD4000 graphics integrated (which I did notice somewhere).

I didn't know however that the non-K version has unlocked clocks and can basically be overclocked to 4.9Ghz. That's quite impressive.

I don't think I'd do that though. I also don't know how much difference the vPro and related Xeon tech makes in the non-K (that the K doesn't have) but I do know that I'd probably use VMWare's for work more than I'd use the overclocking. I guess I'm just too old for that shit. ;)

Only the K models have an unlocked multiplier which allows to reach those high speeds. The only way to OC the non-K ones is by increasing the base clock frequency, which is very limited.

As you say, since you'll be using it for virtualization, the 3770 is a better choice. Both chips have HD4000.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only the K models have an unlocked multiplier which allows to reach those high speeds. The only way to OC the non-K ones is by increasing the base clock frequency, which is very limited.

I think you can up the multiplier by 4 bins on a non K processor. So I think it can reach 3.9 GHz on four cores and 4.3 GHz on single core without touching the base clock vs 3.5 GHz on four cores and 3.9 GHz on one core as it turbos on stock settings.

I got a i5-3550 because I got it at a slight discount and didn't see the point in getting anything faster. This processor blows the nuts off of every game I throw at it.

I got a i5-3550 because I got it at a slight discount and didn't see the point in getting anything faster. This processor blows the nuts off of every game I throw at it.
There are a few strategy games I can think of that can use more yet, including old 2007 SupCom FA. ;) I'm ready for doubled per-core performance. Though frankly what we need is open sourcing of the engine and to have some of the fans-who-are-programmers rework it. It's almost a single thread game once you add in AI and have a huge multiplayer scenario going on.

Kind of related, but the last time I upgraded I was debating the same thing and got the i5. AMD just failed big time lately.

There are a few strategy games I can think of that can use more yet, including old 2007 SupCom FA. ;) I'm ready for doubled per-core performance. Though frankly what we need is open sourcing of the engine and to have some of the fans-who-are-programmers rework it. It's almost a single thread game once you add in AI and have a huge multiplayer scenario going on.

I'm sure there are a few wacky examples of poorly coded games that no computer on earth can run well (the X series games come to mind), but I can't really take those into my purchasing decisions or I would never buy anything! :smile:

I'm sure there are a few wacky examples of poorly coded games that no computer on earth can run well (the X series games come to mind), but I can't really take those into my purchasing decisions or I would never buy anything! :smile:

but lets say the next big popular game (bf4 for example) was designed for 8cores and you had a situation much like gta4 in the quadcore/higher clocked dual. You may think differently

That is not gonna happen, GTA5's on current consoles, and the next gen ones will not have anywhere near that many cores.

Plus, no one's gonan build a game based off of 8 cores. Also, GTA4 was mainly built around 3 cores?

still 1 more core than most people had, and there could still be a big popular game built around more than 4 cores

That is not gonna happen, GTA5's on current consoles, and the next gen ones will not have anywhere near that many cores.

But the PS3 already had 7 cores ... heck, the Vita has 4 ... surely you're not going to tell me that the next gen Playstation will have less? ;)

Plus, no one's gonan build a game based off of 8 cores. Also, GTA4 was mainly built around 3 cores?

Noone will build a game based on 8 cores, but they will make games that scale better to however many cores are available.

Well then I'll eat my words when these future games come out that run better on AMD FX series CPU than my i5-3550. I am not too worried :)

still 1 more core than most people had, and there could still be a big popular game built around more than 4 cores

Not any time soon, which is what I am trying to say. Making games that can actually use that many cores is incredibly fucking not easy. You can only do so much splitting up and threading and etc.

Even so, with a standard SB or IVB i7 you'd be fine for the most part due to how insanely fucking slow BD really is. If you for some bizarre reason have one of those six core i7s, you're completely safe.

Not any time soon, which is what I am trying to say. Making games that can actually use that many cores is incredibly fucking not easy. You can only do so much splitting up and threading and etc.

Even so, with a standard SB or IVB i7 you'd be fine for the most part due to how insanely fucking slow BD really is. If you for some bizarre reason have one of those six core i7s, you're completely safe.

Don't you think that at least engines like Unreal and CryEngine will be developed to scale well on multiple cores? Or physics libraries (insofar as they even use the CPU)?

I am not an expert, but I'm getting the impression that actually the main bottleneck for using the CPU to a good extent on PC is simply that the CPU and GPU are miles apart from each other and communication between them has too much latency.

Perhaps a developer here can comment.

UE3 has always used 3 cores pretty well.

RAGE is maybe the most threaded game? Its texture transcode likes more cores.

Back