Intel Larrabee set for release in 2010

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by B3D News, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Rys

Rys PowerVR
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

I think the difference here is that we're all certain Larrabee will exist, and thus the education point becomes entirely relevant.

2. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

I was thinking more devrel kind of "education", given the lead times typically involved in such things. In my (early, assumption-laden) opinion, they are going to be facing the largest devrel challenge in graphics/gaming since MS launched DX. Whether they will step up to that challenge with appropriate resources to the scale of the mountain they aim to climb is, in my book, one of the more interesting questions here.

3. DavidC

Regular

I hate to spoil the fun, but I think there's a possibility Larrabbee won't be the $300 graphics chip rumor coming in 1-2 years. Rather, it could be the upscale version of the G965(much). Their G35 presentation says that its scalable to 128 shaders(up from 8 on G965). With proper drivers, architecture optimization, dedicated fast memory, and more shader firepower, it may be possible.

4. cho

cho
    Regular

http:/www.pcinlife.com/ours/edison/larrabee_newest.png

The Larrabee HPC version

#64 cho, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  5. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

6. cho

cho
    Regular

it look like that i had not enough permission to post a work link @.@

7. santyhammer

Newcomer

My thoughts:

I think Larrabee will be ready in late 2008 with GDD5 interface:
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=38011

Will have a DX10 driver + custom parallel programming using Ct:
    http://download.intel.com/pressroom/kits/research/Flexible_Parallel_Programming_Ct.pdf
    or perhaps OpenMP directly.

Intel gonna patch DX10 shader system in a way we could fire a "trace/gatherPoints/computeFlux" HLSL/GLSL instruction from the shaders. Will release(or support officially) the David Pohl realtime raytracing framework as a sepparate API ( unless Microsoft is starting to design a pure raytracing API or incorporating it to DX11 ).

My doubt is that if Larrabee is a "discrete" graphics card or a CPU/GPU hybrid with general use cores(I suspect is this last option )

On the other hand we should see what Ageia PhysX2 could do in the future(they are working in HW-accelerated ray batches), the new SaarCor FPGA prototype ( http://graphics.cs.uni-sb.de/SaarCOR/DynRT/DynRT.html that's the old one running at 60/90Mhz) and the ARTVPS AR500 processors ( http://www.artvps.com/page/109/raybox.htm )

#67 santyhammer, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2007
  8. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

That's very interesting, first time I see this document.
    I can certainly say that I'm more excited at the direction Intel is going with their GPGPU language than what NVIDIA is doing with CUDA, even though there's nothing in CUDA that prevents NVIDIA to support the kind of stuff Ct compier and runtime can do (on paper..)

9. santyhammer

Newcomer

Ct is good because simplifies a lot the OpenMP model.... but I would like to use standard things to manage Larrabee, not to learn another parallel language/model :evil:

CUDA lacks a function calling stack ( all the functions are inlined ). Without it need to do very nasty things to get the spatial structures to work(although there are some stackelss papers on the Internet) easy. I hope Larrabee final code language will allow us to use a calling stack (and the full x86 features) to program it more easy. And if could use OpenMP better... because is a standard.

Personally I would like Larrabee as a 48-generic core CPU... .but I bet will be like 2-4 generic cores + a lot of specialized SIMD units, like Cell.

Also would like an Intel free raytracing API with trace/gatherPoints/computeFlux functions. The trace just test triangle-hit (hit/closestHit, retrieves baricentric coords of the hit and distance). The gatherPoints is like the Renderman ( hemisphere ray test ). The computeFlux averages photonmap samples in a surface disc for realtime global illumination. This API would be ready to manage lots of polygons (millions, like the PS3 car in http://www.cro-xp.org/tuning-video/video/8B2-9rNBvIg/Lamborghini-raytraceado) and full dynamic scenes. Daniel, are you there to explain a bit more? :p

#69 santyhammer, Aug 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2007
  10. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

According to the graphic, Larrabee's top model will be a 32 core 4-thread in-order 16-wide-SIMD design.

11. santyhammer

Newcomer

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpc.watch.impress.co.jp%2Fdocs%2F2007%2F0611%2Fkaigai364.htm&langpair=ja%7Cen&hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

48 in 2010 :eek:
    So I bet will be 8 in 2010 really :p

Btw, the 16 elements SIMD I think is to pack 4x4 coherent rays in a row.

What scares me is the "the operational demonstration of Larrabee is released in 2008" sentence.

12. Rufus

Newcomer

Thanks for the Ct link. Glancing over it the language looks more like Peakstream than CUDA. You have just normal C/C++ code with some vector stuff scattered in it, and the compiler pulls out the vector portions. I'm not sure which method I like better, having well defined kernels (CUDA) or depending on the compiler to figure out what the kernels are (Ct and what was Peakstream).

13. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Speaking of Peakstream... has there been an news concerning the future of their commercial product?

14. mhouston

mhouston A little of this and that
    Regular

They are now owned by Google.

15. 3dcgi

Veteran Subscriber

Guess I wasn't clear. I meant has there been any news since the acquisition as to Google's plans for Peakstream.

16. santyhammer

Newcomer

#76 santyhammer, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  17. psurge

Regular

The Ct whitepaper is very interesting. They do hint at giving the programmer more low level access, which is leading me to believe that Ct might allow to express a program in vector intrinsics as well as writing custom kernels.

18. santyhammer

Newcomer

#78 santyhammer, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2007
  19. Sound_Card

Regular

20. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

You will *not* quote Fudzilla as a viable news source. Can someone add this to the rules please?