Intel CEO confirms first dGPUs in 2020

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Dayman1225, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Interesting that you say that considering the Intel GPU in my Asus Switch Alpha 12 is a lot less buggy than my GTX 1070 in my desktop. I finally narrowed down one of the causes of instability that is caused by the 1070. For whatever reasons Windows explorer is tied to Edge. So when NV makes Edge become sluggish and unresponsive Explorer becomes slow and unresponsive.

That doesn't happen with either AMD or Intel hardware. I have to shutdown Edge daily sometimes hourly to keep it's performance from tanking with the GTX 1070. With my little old Intel integrated GPU? It's had multiple tabs up for the past week without bogging down.

That doesn't help me make things better, but at least I have a better understanding of it now.

It's absolutely mind boggling how bad NV's drivers are in general use. I can rarely go more than a week before having to restart my PC because eventually the NV GPU will become unresponsive and time out in Windows causing Windows to shut down the driver and go to a default Windows generic display driver until the system is rebooted. Oh yeah, so F-ing great.

And it's not my card as I've tried other 1070's and even a 1080. And it doesn't happen in just one system, but multiple. It's infuriating when it happens.

OTOH, my Asus Switch Alpha 12 with integrated Intel GPU only needs to reboot when Windows updates force it to (Windows Home on that machine). It is absolutely rock solid in general use, and I haven't seen any graphical anomalies in the few games I play on that machine, granted not anything intensive due to the anemic GPU power. But everything I throw at it just works.

Regards,
    SB

#21 Silent_Buddha, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. zed

zed
    Veteran

For gaming thats BS, just had a look at steam (don't know how many million they sample but its lots) latest data
    Nvidia ~75%
    AMD ~15%
    Intel ~10%

Sure if you're talking about all users (non gamers) then yes Intel is much higher but the ones that matter WRT graphics nah man

3. pharma

Veteran Regular

Not to get off topic but I remember the unique problems you've had. Try NV control panel --> Manage 3D settings --> Program Settings Tab --> Select Microsoft Edge and alter some of Edge's default settings. Could also change PhysX setting from Auto to GTX 1070.

4. carnaval

I imagine this will be a spin-off of the gen architecture family, I'm hoping they will keep with the tradition of publishing the PRMs on their opensource thingy.

I'm curious how much change they will have to make since it's historically bandwidth-starved.

5. Silent_Buddha

Legend

I'll take a look at those later. Hopefully they help.

Regards,
    SB

6. Rootax

Regular Newcomer

PC gamers are using PC APU now ? I'm not saying they can't produce nice products, but look are their size compared to nVidia. Hell, nvidia is still king of the hill with old Pascal. Vega was not bad in a vacuum, but did nothing to gain part against nvidia in the gaming market (nobody would switch brand for this). It reminds me of AMD vs Intel when AMD had just bulldozer.
    It seems to me nVidia is in no danger at all, AMD/RTG is just a puppy and they're playing with it. I'm sure they could release their next gen gaming gpu sooner if Vega was a better gpu. But hell, the existing 1070 and 1080 were still ahead, it's a joke. And I've a Vega myself.
    Is AMD/RTG pushing nVidia to be better/cheaper ? No. Are they a thread for the best performances products crowns ? No. That's why they're a "non factor" in my view. They don't have the better tech, and they don't have deep enough pockets to have R&D capable of having it...

7. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

The nonsense you read sometimes. Deep pockets can only get you so far. You think AMD has been competing with Intel for decades before Nvidia ever existed with deep pockets? You think AMD64, IMC, cHT, IF, HMB were the result of deep pockets? Latest spanking from Zen, Zen+ and upcoming Zen2 on 7nm is also the result of deep pockets I assume?

8. Rootax

Regular Newcomer

No, but they had to make a choice between spend on cpu, or gpu, and they choose Zen&such. They couldn't do both. And I'm not saying deep pocket is everything, so you're assuming wrong. But in that case, AMD vs nVidia, yeah, money is a problem IMO, clearly.

9. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Yes. PC gamers have been using iGPUs since iGPUs were introduced.
    Not sure how this is new to anyone, though.

Steam's Hardware Survey is the BS part here.

swaaye likes this.
  10. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend Subscriber

Seems to me Intel is observing NV's crazy growth on various fronts and is making moves based on that.

I've used various recent Intel IGPs for games. Haswell and up are pretty usable if you keep your expectations in check.

I feel AMD's GPU division is merely a curiosity at this point. Not sure what I expect there anymore.

#30 swaaye, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    milk and CarstenS like this.
  11. rcf

rcf
    Regular Newcomer

Isn’t CUDA becoming the standard for most GPU-accelerated AI and HPC software?
    If Intel and AMD want dGPUs for AI, HPC or whatever, then what APIs could they realistically use?
    OpenCL seems to be far behind CUDA.

#31 rcf, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  12. zed

zed
    Veteran

Whats the proof that Valve are cheating with their steam numbers

13. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Shitting, not cheating.
    I.e. they don't give a shit.

14. zed

zed
    Veteran

Well thats good then If they don't give a shit, i.e. not biased then the numbers should be an accurate resprsentation of the ppl that use steam

15. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend Subscriber

My guess would be most people play games on consoles. Those that use a PC and Steam know to buy a machine with some kind of discrete graphics.

And then there's me doing stuff like trying to play games on my Haswell work machine out of curiosity, or the Surface Pro 4 with Intel Iris 540 graphics that I had until recently.

#35 swaaye, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  16. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

17. DavidGraham

Veteran

NVIDIA numbers include PS3 + Switch + PC. The numbers don't fit indeed.
    The whole study is a joke, adding consoles left and right to PCs, excluding some, and including some to fit a specific narrative.

CarstenS likes this.
  18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Even with PS3 with Switch it's bonkers, AMD has Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, One, One X, PS4, PS4 Pro and PC (with Wii & 360 being the most sold consoles (limiting to the consoles listed in the other graphs in the PDF))

milk and BRiT like this.
  19. Entropy

Veteran

Estimated installed base of x86 consoles 2018:230 million.
    Who financed this “report”?

Picao84, Kaotik and DavidGraham like this.