Intel CEO confirms first dGPUs in 2020

If they did that then they are more clueless than I though, their current efforts are nothing more than a buggy mess, with countless bugs, compatibility issues, visual corruptions, performance problems and API hacks, nobody cared to put it to scrutiny before, but If they did they would be appalled by it's state.

Interesting that you say that considering the Intel GPU in my Asus Switch Alpha 12 is a lot less buggy than my GTX 1070 in my desktop. I finally narrowed down one of the causes of instability that is caused by the 1070. For whatever reasons Windows explorer is tied to Edge. So when NV makes Edge become sluggish and unresponsive Explorer becomes slow and unresponsive.

That doesn't happen with either AMD or Intel hardware. I have to shutdown Edge daily sometimes hourly to keep it's performance from tanking with the GTX 1070. With my little old Intel integrated GPU? It's had multiple tabs up for the past week without bogging down.

That doesn't help me make things better, but at least I have a better understanding of it now.

It's absolutely mind boggling how bad NV's drivers are in general use. I can rarely go more than a week before having to restart my PC because eventually the NV GPU will become unresponsive and time out in Windows causing Windows to shut down the driver and go to a default Windows generic display driver until the system is rebooted. Oh yeah, so F-ing great.

And it's not my card as I've tried other 1070's and even a 1080. And it doesn't happen in just one system, but multiple. It's infuriating when it happens.

OTOH, my Asus Switch Alpha 12 with integrated Intel GPU only needs to reboot when Windows updates force it to (Windows Home on that machine). It is absolutely rock solid in general use, and I haven't seen any graphical anomalies in the few games I play on that machine, granted not anything intensive due to the anemic GPU power. But everything I throw at it just works.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I wonder if some people here are aware that most PC GPUs being used nowadays are from Intel and said GPUs (and their drivers) are perfectly compatible with the overwhelming majority of games out there.
For gaming thats BS, just had a look at steam (don't know how many million they sample but its lots) latest data
Nvidia ~75%
AMD ~15%
Intel ~10%

Sure if you're talking about all users (non gamers) then yes Intel is much higher but the ones that matter WRT graphics nah man

And it's not my card as I've tried other 1070's and even a 1080. And it doesn't happen in just one system, but multiple. It's infuriating when it happens.Regards,SB
Not to get off topic but I remember the unique problems you've had. Try NV control panel --> Manage 3D settings --> Program Settings Tab --> Select Microsoft Edge and alter some of Edge's default settings. Could also change PhysX setting from Auto to GTX 1070.

I imagine this will be a spin-off of the gen architecture family, I'm hoping they will keep with the tradition of publishing the PRMs on their opensource thingy.

I'm curious how much change they will have to make since it's historically bandwidth-starved.

Not to get off topic but I remember the unique problems you've had. Try NV control panel --> Manage 3D settings --> Program Settings Tab --> Select Microsoft Edge and alter some of Edge's default settings. Could also change PhysX setting from Auto to GTX 1070.

I'll take a look at those later. Hopefully they help.

Regards,
SB

I wonder if some people here are aware that most PC GPUs being used nowadays are from Intel and said GPUs (and their drivers) are perfectly compatible with the overwhelming majority of games out there.

Raja didn't really have time to build a new architecture from scratch, so the 2020 release is probably an evolution to the current integrated Gen9.5 GPUs.

"Non factor" with 1/3rd of the discrete GPU market, plus the best performing PC APU for games?
Okay...

PC gamers are using PC APU now ? I'm not saying they can't produce nice products, but look are their size compared to nVidia. Hell, nvidia is still king of the hill with old Pascal. Vega was not bad in a vacuum, but did nothing to gain part against nvidia in the gaming market (nobody would switch brand for this). It reminds me of AMD vs Intel when AMD had just bulldozer.
It seems to me nVidia is in no danger at all, AMD/RTG is just a puppy and they're playing with it. I'm sure they could release their next gen gaming gpu sooner if Vega was a better gpu. But hell, the existing 1070 and 1080 were still ahead, it's a joke. And I've a Vega myself.
Is AMD/RTG pushing nVidia to be better/cheaper ? No. Are they a thread for the best performances products crowns ? No. That's why they're a "non factor" in my view. They don't have the better tech, and they don't have deep enough pockets to have R&D capable of having it...

Is AMD/RTG pushing nVidia to be better/cheaper ? No. Are they a thread for the best performances products crowns ? No. That's why they're a "non factor" in my view. They don't have the better tech, and they don't have deep enough pockets to have R&D capable of having it...

The nonsense you read sometimes. Deep pockets can only get you so far. You think AMD has been competing with Intel for decades before Nvidia ever existed with deep pockets? You think AMD64, IMC, cHT, IF, HMB were the result of deep pockets? Latest spanking from Zen, Zen+ and upcoming Zen2 on 7nm is also the result of deep pockets I assume?

The nonsense you read sometimes. Deep pockets can only get you so far. You think AMD has been competing with Intel for decades before Nvidia ever existed with deep pockets? You think AMD64, IMC, cHT, IF, HMB were the result of deep pockets? Latest spanking from Zen, Zen+ and upcoming Zen2 on 7nm is also the result of deep pockets I assume?

No, but they had to make a choice between spend on cpu, or gpu, and they choose Zen&such. They couldn't do both. And I'm not saying deep pocket is everything, so you're assuming wrong. But in that case, AMD vs nVidia, yeah, money is a problem IMO, clearly.

PC gamers are using PC APU now ?
Yes. PC gamers have been using iGPUs since iGPUs were introduced.
Not sure how this is new to anyone, though.

For gaming thats BS, just had a look at steam (don't know how many million they sample but its lots) latest data
Nvidia ~75%
AMD ~15%
Intel ~10%
Steam's Hardware Survey is the BS part here.

Seems to me Intel is observing NV's crazy growth on various fronts and is making moves based on that.

I've used various recent Intel IGPs for games. Haswell and up are pretty usable if you keep your expectations in check.

I feel AMD's GPU division is merely a curiosity at this point. Not sure what I expect there anymore.

Last edited:
Isn’t CUDA becoming the standard for most GPU-accelerated AI and HPC software?
If Intel and AMD want dGPUs for AI, HPC or whatever, then what APIs could they realistically use?
OpenCL seems to be far behind CUDA.

Last edited:
Well thats good then If they don't give a shit, i.e. not biased then the numbers should be an accurate resprsentation of the ppl that use steam

My guess would be most people play games on consoles. Those that use a PC and Steam know to buy a machine with some kind of discrete graphics.

And then there's me doing stuff like trying to play games on my Haswell work machine out of curiosity, or the Surface Pro 4 with Intel Iris 540 graphics that I had until recently.

Last edited:
Huh, that has to be a major screwup, the "total gaming GPUs" part at least, the NVIDIA numbers are off the charts and AMD numbers way way under what they should be with consoles included
NVIDIA numbers include PS3 + Switch + PC. The numbers don't fit indeed.
The whole study is a joke, adding consoles left and right to PCs, excluding some, and including some to fit a specific narrative.

NVIDIA numbers include PS3 + Switch + PC.
The whole study is a joke, adding consoles left and right to PCs, excluding some, and including some to fit a specific narrative.
Even with PS3 with Switch it's bonkers, AMD has Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360, One, One X, PS4, PS4 Pro and PC (with Wii & 360 being the most sold consoles (limiting to the consoles listed in the other graphs in the PDF))

Back