Intel CEO confirms first dGPUs in 2020

Dayman1225

Newcomer
Intel makes it a three-way race with AMD and Nvidia on graphics chips
Article said:
Intel's CEO Brian Krzanich disclosed during an analyst event last week that it will have its first discrete graphics chips available in 2020. This will mark the beginning of the chip giant’s journey toward a portfolio of high-performance graphics products for various markets including gaming, data center and artificial intelligence (AI).
[...]
Intel’s executive vice president of the data center group, Navin Shenoy, confirmed that the company’s strategy will include solutions for data center segments (think AI, machine learning) along with client (think gaming, professional development).

Interesting to say the least. I am excited for more competition in this space and I hope Intel are able to rival AMD and Nvidia, they certainly have the manpower and R&D $$ to do so. Now lets just wait and see how they execute.

Hopefully they'll be competitive and that consumers are willing to buy them. Right now, the GPU industry isn't particularly healthy with discrete GPU consumers mostly flocking to one GPU maker. In such an environment there is little incentive for consumer friendly pricing (which was already escalating before the crypto craze just made things insane) or rapid advancement of technology.

Regards,
SB

That's a bit of a wierd one when they've ditched their own iGPU's for AMDs at the high end.

Perhaps explains some of the snarky comments from AMD towards Raja Koduri this week!

Hopefully they'll be competitive and that consumers are willing to buy them
How can you be competitive to AMD's and NVIDIA's solutions that can play PC games that exist far back to at least 30 years in the past? No sane consumer will touch Intel's solutions (especially at the high end) without them nailing the quality and extensive support required for the task. Something everyone here knows won't happen even during the first few years after their first product release.

I for one welcome our new GPU overlords!

But seriously, why would Intel go after gaming dGPU market? That's pocket change for them. This has to be AI/ML oriented.

While I support the effort, I wonder how much patents come into play here.
They don’t. None of that matters.

All of the involved parties are already trampling on each other’s patents and there are already complex licensing deals in place that may or may not have expired.

How can you be competitive to AMD's and NVIDIA's solutions that can play PC games that exist far back to at least 30 years in the past? No sane consumer will touch Intel's solutions (especially at the high end) without them nailing the quality and extensive support required for the task. Something everyone here knows won't happen even during the first few years after their first product release.

My guess ? The majority of these will be sold to dell and other pc makers at cheaper costs than the amd / nvidia cards. Those oem's will sell the sytstems to people who don't know any better.

But seriously, why would Intel go after gaming dGPU market? That's pocket change for them

The most important thing Nvidia did was to create CUDA and get it into as many academic hands as possible along with their cheap consumer hardware to get the ball rolling. CUDA put their foot in the door and once they got the rest of the body through they bolted and welded it shut. The problem isn't just the hardware (Intel already played the enterprise only game and lost), the software gap AMD and now Intel have to make up is pretty enormous and you don't start chipping away at the door until you get that hardware into as many peoples hands as possible so they have a chance to do something with it. That means you have to make those GPUs commodity hardware. It is the very reason x86 became the dominant ISA after all.

If they're trying to scale up their current architecture, then they're hardly starting from nothing, but building upon many years of graphics development, both hardware and software. Scaling up isn't easy, so I don't know that they'll nail it the first time around, but I'm sure they've got people with experience doing just that, including Raja Koduri, obviously.

My hope is they are competitive and support free sync to force Nvidia to as well. I am very tempted to get amd card just because of freesync, but their prices have not come down like Nvidia. A 1070ti is reasonable again. A Vega 64 not so much and a 56 is pricey too in terms of performance.

if they're trying to scale up their current architecture, then they're hardly starting from nothing
If they did that then they are more clueless than I though, their current efforts are nothing more than a buggy mess, with countless bugs, compatibility issues, visual corruptions, performance problems and API hacks, nobody cared to put it to scrutiny before, but If they did they would be appalled by it's state.
but I'm sure they've got people with experience doing just that, including Raja Koduri, obviously.
They might have, but then these things take considerable time. Time they don't have in the face of experienced, veteran players. Why do you think nobody managed to challenge AMD and NVIDIA before? I am not writing Intel off completely given enough time, but I am not being naively optimistic about their endeavor either, they won't simply compete with their initial iterations considering the monumental quality required.

I wonder if some people here are aware that most PC GPUs being used nowadays are from Intel and said GPUs (and their drivers) are perfectly compatible with the overwhelming majority of games out there.

Raja didn't really have time to build a new architecture from scratch, so the 2020 release is probably an evolution to the current integrated Gen9.5 GPUs.

I hope they succeed. AMD is a non factor now on the gpu pc space.
"Non factor" with 1/3rd of the discrete GPU market, plus the best performing PC APU for games?
Okay...

Back