Intel CEO confirms first dGPUs in 2020

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by Dayman1225, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Dayman1225

Newcomer

Intel makes it a three-way race with AMD and Nvidia on graphics chips
    Interesting to say the least. I am excited for more competition in this space and I hope Intel are able to rival AMD and Nvidia, they certainly have the manpower and R&D $$ to do so. Now lets just wait and see how they execute.

Malo likes this.
  2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Hopefully they'll be competitive and that consumers are willing to buy them. Right now, the GPU industry isn't particularly healthy with discrete GPU consumers mostly flocking to one GPU maker. In such an environment there is little incentive for consumer friendly pricing (which was already escalating before the crypto craze just made things insane) or rapid advancement of technology.

Regards,
    SB

Dr Evil, milk and Dayman1225 like this.
  3. cheapchips

Regular Newcomer

That's a bit of a wierd one when they've ditched their own iGPU's for AMDs at the high end.

Perhaps explains some of the snarky comments from AMD towards Raja Koduri this week!

4. Dayman1225

Newcomer

Confirmation from Intel on Twitter

5. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

What a strange choice of strategy.

6. DavidGraham

Veteran

How can you be competitive to AMD's and NVIDIA's solutions that can play PC games that exist far back to at least 30 years in the past? No sane consumer will touch Intel's solutions (especially at the high end) without them nailing the quality and extensive support required for the task. Something everyone here knows won't happen even during the first few years after their first product release.

pharma and Lightman like this.
  7. Wynix

Veteran Regular

While I support the effort, I wonder how much patents come into play here.

8. SimBy

Regular Newcomer

I for one welcome our new GPU overlords!

But seriously, why would Intel go after gaming dGPU market? That's pocket change for them. This has to be AI/ML oriented.

Lightman likes this.
  9. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

They don’t. None of that matters.

All of the involved parties are already trampling on each other’s patents and there are already complex licensing deals in place that may or may not have expired.

10. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

Larrabee is that you?

No, its i740.5

Tommy McClain

Lightman and RecessionCone like this.
  11. Malo

Malo YakTribe.games
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Lol i740

12. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

With next-gen AGP Texturing!

Lightman, Malo and AzBat like this.
  13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

My guess ? The majority of these will be sold to dell and other pc makers at cheaper costs than the amd / nvidia cards. Those oem's will sell the sytstems to people who don't know any better.

14. steveOrino

Regular

The most important thing Nvidia did was to create CUDA and get it into as many academic hands as possible along with their cheap consumer hardware to get the ball rolling. CUDA put their foot in the door and once they got the rest of the body through they bolted and welded it shut. The problem isn't just the hardware (Intel already played the enterprise only game and lost), the software gap AMD and now Intel have to make up is pretty enormous and you don't start chipping away at the door until you get that hardware into as many peoples hands as possible so they have a chance to do something with it. That means you have to make those GPUs commodity hardware. It is the very reason x86 became the dominant ISA after all.

15. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

If they're trying to scale up their current architecture, then they're hardly starting from nothing, but building upon many years of graphics development, both hardware and software. Scaling up isn't easy, so I don't know that they'll nail it the first time around, but I'm sure they've got people with experience doing just that, including Raja Koduri, obviously.

16. Sxotty

Veteran

My hope is they are competitive and support free sync to force Nvidia to as well. I am very tempted to get amd card just because of freesync, but their prices have not come down like Nvidia. A 1070ti is reasonable again. A Vega 64 not so much and a 56 is pricey too in terms of performance.

Silent_Buddha and BRiT like this.
  17. DavidGraham

Veteran

If they did that then they are more clueless than I though, their current efforts are nothing more than a buggy mess, with countless bugs, compatibility issues, visual corruptions, performance problems and API hacks, nobody cared to put it to scrutiny before, but If they did they would be appalled by it's state.
    They might have, but then these things take considerable time. Time they don't have in the face of experienced, veteran players. Why do you think nobody managed to challenge AMD and NVIDIA before? I am not writing Intel off completely given enough time, but I am not being naively optimistic about their endeavor either, they won't simply compete with their initial iterations considering the monumental quality required.

18. Rootax

Regular Newcomer

I hope they succeed. AMD is a non factor now on the gpu pc space. nVidia need some competition.

19. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

I wonder if some people here are aware that most PC GPUs being used nowadays are from Intel and said GPUs (and their drivers) are perfectly compatible with the overwhelming majority of games out there.

Raja didn't really have time to build a new architecture from scratch, so the 2020 release is probably an evolution to the current integrated Gen9.5 GPUs.

"Non factor" with 1/3rd of the discrete GPU market, plus the best performing PC APU for games?
    Okay...

milk likes this.
  20. Picao84

Veteran Regular

The question is: are they being used for gaming or crypto mining? If its the latter, it might as well be a temporary buff..