inFAMOUS Second Son [PS4]

Just watched on the phone since my PC's flash player wont play for some reason. Damn this game looks good in night time! Love the reflection, the lighting and the rain effect, makes everything so realistic. Only sore spot is the the lack of shadows from light sources, hope they extract more power from the PS4 for a future sequel.

Just watched on the phone since my PC's flash player wont play for some reason. Damn this game looks good in night time! Love the reflection, the lighting and the rain effect, makes everything so realistic. Only sore spot is the the lack of shadows from light sources, hope they extract more power from the PS4 for a future sequel.

Yeah the game looks great, in fact having looked at shots from twilight, dawn, morning, midday, afternoons, evening, sunset and night, it looks great. I wonder if, when off-mission, the game will feature a progressive day/night cycle. IIRC, the first two games just stayed at whatever time the last mission was timed at.

It makes no difference but if you have an environmental system that good, you'd probably want to show it off!

Yeah the game looks great, in fact having looked at shots from twilight, dawn, morning, midday, afternoons, evening, sunset and night, it looks great. I wonder if, when off-mission, the game will feature a progressive day/night cycle. IIRC, the first two games just stayed at whatever time the last mission was timed at.

It makes no difference but if you have an environmental system that good, you'd probably want to show it off!

I think it does cycle the weather, I remember a clip which showed off a puddle of water that drys off over time and it looked stunningly realistic.

I think it does cycle the weather, I remember a clip which showed off a puddle of water that drys off over time and it looked stunningly realistic.

I think I saw the same thing (this video?), but they were playing with dev/art tools. The video also showed them rotating the sun round (or the earth around the sun) to show reflections and shadows and adjust the density and height of the mist coming in off the bay.

Very cool! :yes:

Yeah that's it, love how everything is so dynamic. And boy does that Bokeh DOF look good:). Another title that combines excellent art and tech mastery.

The only thing that is missing are dynamic shadows of Deslin. Effect is totally missing, which is really jarrin for example in that part when he attacked DUP squad car.

Those reflections! Finally! Gone are the days when reflections are completely disconnected from the environment! Praise The Lord!

The only thing that is missing are dynamic shadows of Deslin. Effect is totally missing, which is really jarrin for example in that part when he attacked DUP squad car.
Not to mention there weren't that many pedestrians to cast shadows anyway unlike in GTAV, so I find that omission a little too harsh honestly. I mean even if they could use some low sampled shadows, PCF or set the shadow LOD to low would suffice for the course.
maybe use the black bars to save some resources, I really don't mind the black bars

What troubles me is the absence of dynamic shadows, front car lights don't cast them at the environment or the main character. when you see the like of GTA4, NFS MW, Rivals doing the effect, you wonder why a next gen game would abstain from applying it.

Watch Dogs suffers the same problem so fat too.

Last edited by a moderator:
What troubles me is the absence of dynamic shadows, front car lights don't cast them at the environment or the main character. when you see the like of GTA4, NFS MW, Rivals doing the effect, you wonder why a next gen game would abstain from applying it.

Watch Dogs suffers the same problem so fat too.

GTA4 car headlights only cast shadows on PC as far as I know. And even then, only dynamic objects are rendered for those shadows, static geo as buildings and un-breackable fences and posts don't oclude any light. Console GTAV has got shadowing for sun only and nearest dominat light-source.

GTA4 car headlights only cast shadows on PC as far as I know. And even then, only dynamic objects are rendered for those shadows, static geo as buildings and un-breackable fences and posts don't oclude any light. Console GTAV has got shadowing for sun only and nearest dominat light-source.
Yeah, the PC version only via the 1.04 patch. and true, buildings and trees are not affected, but many breakable street objects are .. like light and traffic poles, trash cans, hot dogs vendors, newspaper canisters and people .. etc. Doesn't work for traffic cars though.

The implementation is more solid in NFS Rivals and Most Wanted.

Oh! Thank you. Must have missed it, as I try not to get spoiled too much about this game...

I still remember the good old day when Resistance 2's first showing got a huge up roar from Gaf due to missing selfshadow on Chimeras, then Insomniac listened and implemented the shadow in the final build thus pleasing a generation of gaffers.
As for Infamous, I kinda hope SP could give us a Shadow patch after the release if they run out of time for launch, unless they squeezed every bits of power inside the PS4 already.

They probably haven't come close (it's a 1st gen title after all), but it may still not be possible to add shadows afterwards without seriously re-jigging how the game renders things, re-writing shaders etc, which probably would be expensive and thus won't be a very high priority post-launch. (My baseless speculation; take for what it's worth lol.) Just look at all the advancements needed to get Doom3 to run at 60fps on the old consoles.

Back