Image Quality and Framebuffer Speculations for WIP/alpha/beta/E3 games *Read the first post*

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/sunset_overdrive/news/sunset_overdrive_is_currently_sub-1080p.html

It is not very important playing is not counting pixel but it is probably 900p...

I don't know about the actual game resolution but what I am sure is that the first 3 images of the OP are unmistakably downsampled at least vertically from roughly 4k.

Hard to say for the last 3 pics because of the heavy DOF.

Lots of clues on the third screenshot:

Sunset_Overdrive_forall_SunsetCity.jpg

Sunset_Overdrive_cropped4_33edges_17pixels.jpg

Sunset_Overdrive_18edges_9pixels.jpg

Edges in the top right look more akin to 2x2 downsample.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunset Overdrive Bullshot pixel counting

Edges in the top right look more akin to 3x3 downsample.

Eurogamer have a 1440p version of the specific image we are talking about:

Sunset_Overdrive_forall_SunsetCity.jpg.jpg

Center left: easily 30 edges for 21 pixels on a 1440p image which gives ~2057p:
Sunset_Overdrive_1440p_30edges_21pixels_jpg.png

Top right: easily 22 edges minimum (cause it could be 22.5 or 23 here) for 16 pixels on a 1440p image which gives 1980p minimum:
Sunset_Overdrive_1440p_22edges_16pixels_jpg.png

That's why I said roughly 4K (2160p), I don't see the point of ~2000p, but why not after all? What is 3x3 BTW?

Eurogamer [/URL]have a 1440p version of the specific image we are talking about.

Ah, nice. That's better.

It's just 4K. Nothing fancy. (1.5x1.5 supersample over 1440p, 2x2 viewing from 1080p). It's usually a bit tricky with supersampled counting (what counts as an edge), but they'd probably pick simple factors than something strange.

What is 3x3 BTW?
Should have been 2x2. It just means 2x supersampling in horizontal and vertical dimensions (4K native downsampled 2x2 to 1080p).

Indeed. Not impressed by the latest images. I would even say that I might have confused it with a PS3 game if I didnt know it was Deep Down.

Shame if it gets downgraded significantly after what they have shown originally.

Its like Lair and MGS4 all over again

Weird lighting, like a bad composite in the 1980s.

Reminds me a tiny bit of the DOF Saint's Row 3 used in-game (one of the quality settings) that blurred out your character in a strange way. It was kind of like taking a 2D shot of your character and blurring it; check out the middle of the knight between arm and body, and it's almost like a billboard of sorts, flat-but-not-flat-but-it-looks-flat.

---

Probably need to see it in motion to gauge what's going on there.

Ah the double edged sword that is 60fps in Deep Down, one can only imagine how close or even on par to the reveal trailer should they target 30fps from the start. Also this procedural generated level really doesn't help compared to the good old hard work from talented artists.

What heavy physics effects? Everything since the uber cool trailer with fluid simulated fire has been dumbed down so much, I can hardly see anything exactly advanced about the physics

Back