IGN's Weekly Top 10

Where are the PS3 games? It's launching in 3 weeks... maybe only 360 and Wii gamers read IGN? :???:

Or, like I said, they just don't add the games to their wishlists. Have you ever added anything to your wishlist there?

It is the top-ten wishlist adds. IGN is a weird site for going that route imho, but I guess wishlist adds are interesting for online gamesales through affiliates first and foremost. So it does have its uses.

Is it limited to the wishlist? From the little I could find:

Welcome to a new, weekly feature examining the games you readers are most excited about. While you are moving about the site, clicking away and soaking up all this gaming goodness, IGN is going all Big Brother on your ass: we're watching where you click, how long you stay there, and what color socks you're wearing. And what does all our creepy voyeurism produce? A top ten list of the games you're most interested in! Let's take a look…
Source: IGN GamerMetrics. GamerMetrics is an interactive reporting tool designed to analyze the real-time behavior and interests of visitors to IGN Entertainment's network of gaming enthusiast web sites.

Most web stat/log tracking tools can count not only page views, but number of visitor views on a page and how long the average and total visit time per page, which appears to be the indication above.

And from the GameMetrics site it seems they take a lot into account:

pixel.gif
pixel.gif
The Big Picture...
  • Use GamerMetrics'â„¢ dashboard to get an immediate overview of the gamer community, including Most Active Games, Upcoming Releases, Top 10 Games by GPM, Most Active Bulletin Boards, and My Games (specific games you want to track).
...and the Details
  • Click on the Games List to search for specific games by genre, platform, publisher, or release date.
  • Click on the Gamer Panel tab to research gamer behavior broken down by age group, number of games owned, platform, and more.
  • Click on the Game Details tab to track a specific game's performance, with data broken out by time-lined charts reflecting interest, page views, and more.

Is it limited to the wishlist? From the little I could find:

I was talking about your posts 14 and 15 ... Read the bolded line in your own quotes. ;)

My mistake for making a comment on 'IGN going that route' - it's just an option when you choose what to view. But that's what you selected anyway. ;)

I was talking about your posts 14 and 15 ... Read the bolded line in your own quotes... But that's what you selected anyway. ;)
Arwin's right you know. Check the intro to the link on post 14...

Welcome back to our weekly feature analyzing the games you're most excited about. These are the titles you added to your wishlists the most over the past week, and they give us a pretty clear picture of what IGN readers are jonesin' for
So these ratings are showing what's been added to wishlists - not general perusing nor most popular contents of wishlists. It shows 'growth of interest' in those that have wishlists, which is probably a good thing for PR companies to keep an eye on as it shows they're getting attention.

Seems I cannot read :LOL: Interesting as the GM blog has them rated on mindshare.

Seems like a pretty big disparity between launch consoles and wish list activity. Tome for some of you guys to register and start adding software to wish lists. That said, kind of odd that so many oooold PC games made wish lists.

Seems like a pretty big disparity between launch consoles and wish list activity.
Doesn't seem that odd to me. There's like 6+ million XB360 owners out there, an expectant 6 million wannabe Wii owners, and about 100,000 PS3 expectant owners! I wouldn't be adding any PS3 titles to a wishlist knowing I'd be unlikely to get hold of one. I guess it depends what level of hardcore preorderers are registered for IGN and keep a wishlist

I was talking about your posts 14 and 15 ... Read the bolded line in your own quotes. ;)

My mistake for making a comment on 'IGN going that route' - it's just an option when you choose what to view. But that's what you selected anyway. ;)
I am totally missing something. The link on post 14 certainly says "added to your wishlists", but it's the only one (the other 10/9 and 10/23) both don't mention Wishlists. The link in the first post talks about what GameMetrics is doing, which isn't just tracking wishlist adds. All three have the GameMetrics blurb at the bottom...

And if the 10/16 one is based solely on wishlist adds, why does it roughly line up with 10/23?

What am I missing?

Doesn't seem that odd to me. There's like 6+ million XB360 owners out there, an expectant 6 million wannabe Wii owners, and about 100,000 PS3 expectant owners! I wouldn't be adding any PS3 titles to a wishlist knowing I'd be unlikely to get hold of one. I guess it depends what level of hardcore preorderers are registered for IGN and keep a wishlist

Of course right now it is Wii = 0, PS3 = 0, and I believe Sony is still had the 6M launch window target going whereas Nintendo is only slightly above that (6-9M?) Has Nintendo announce 6M units for launch day and Sony announced only 100k? Last I read Sony was promising 400K in the NA on launch day + 2M before the end of 2006. And from Nintendo it looks like 2M launch units (very recent change upward that I didn't even know about, so I am not sure casuals are hanging on this info). Obviously there is some shifting of numbers, but as late as last month it was CY 2006 4M v 6M -- which is not that large.

Obviously it is hard to determine which factors are influencing what, but it is surprising that shortage news would be so significant that a platform with about 20% of transitional users (Wii; PS2 sales 100M+, GCN 21M) with 0/Zero sales (same as the PS3), is able to overcome the disparity of fans based on shortages alone. But it could be.

Of course it could be a cumulative effects of price, delays, shortages, unique software, European black out, etc. which is causing a general shortfall of PS3 interest (wishlist) on the IGN site. Or IGN could be full of Nintendo fanbois.

Of course right now it is Wii = 0, PS3 = 0, and I believe Sony is still had the 6M launch window target
Does anyone believe that though? ;) There's lots of noise about Sony having production troubles and even more limited supplies than the downrated figures. I expect that'd have a strong influence on peoples wish-lists when they aren't expecting to get a PS3. Well, that's one theory. I guess the other is everyone thinks PS3's launch titles suck and aren't interested! Or the PS3 launch titles were added to wishlists ages ago and no-one's adding them now.

Sis said:
I am totally missing something. The link on post 14 certainly says "added to your wishlists", but it's the only one (the other 10/9 and 10/23) both don't mention Wishlists.
Yes. Read the subtitle just above the list on the 10/23 list...
Here are the overall top ten wishlist adds for the week of October 16-20:

This seems to be the way the list is recorded every time, unless each week IGN change the data they're collecting!

Does anyone believe that though? ;) There's lots of noise about Sony having production troubles and even more limited supplies than the downrated figures. I expect that'd have a strong influence on peoples wish-lists when they aren't expecting to get a PS3. Well, that's one theory. I guess the other is everyone thinks PS3's launch titles suck and aren't interested! Or the PS3 launch titles were added to wishlists ages ago and no-one's adding them now.

Or maybe there just aren't that many people wanting to buy a $600 console.

Back