IGN's Weekly Top 10

Acert93

Artist formerly known as Acert93
Legend
Kind of a neat new feature that takes page views and time on pages and other stuff to come up with a "Top 10" for the Week per IGN's readership.

The first weeks results:

Here are the top ten games across all platforms for the week of 10/1/2006 - 10/8/2006:
1. Halo Wars (X360)
2. Assassin's Creed (X360)
3. Gears of War (X360)
4. BioShock (X360)
5. Alan Wake (X360)
6. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
7. Mass Effect (X360)
8. Fable 2 (X360)
9. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (X360)
10. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)

And their summary:

So two new systems are launching in just over a month, but all you guys are excited about is the year old Xbox 360? It's pretty telling that not only are there no PS3 games on the list, but the 360 version of Assassin's Creed (until just recently a PS3 exclusive) is the one everybody's talking about. As for Alan Wake, we were just as surprised at the title's X06 showing as you were: that game is officially looking badass.

My thoughts:

1. Behold the power of the Halo franchise. Halo Wars is a new game (not a sequal, unknown quantity) and an RTS on a Console--it has everything theoretically going against it. But slapping the Halo name on it (it isn't even made by Bungie!) and the fans come screaming for more. Master Chief meet Mario, Mario meet Master Chief.

2. X06 was as success. 8 out of 10 is very good, especially when you hold the top 5 and both your competitors have building the hype machines for their new platform releases next month. Obviously there was good word of mouth about the new games and links directing people to IGN for media and information.

3. PS3 and Wii fans need not fret. These numbers are obviously skewed by X06. Although I would have expected a little more after effect from TGS and more of a "halo" effect (hehe) from the impending PS3 and Wii releases, X06 is a big show and MS seems to have been able to get the word out (Live?). We should see similar flip flops with Spaceworld and the Sony October event. Now if these results become a trend, then it would be interesting. But for now, chalk it up to X06.

4. No PS3 killer app at launch? Am I contradicting myself? Not really. The PS3 has a number of nice looking launch titles that should sell well with some big guns coming out in early 2007, but there is no real killer app (lest the PS3 hardware itself! And BluRay...) A couple of Nintendo's big dogs, Zelda and Super Smash Brothers, broke the Top 10 and weathered the X06 onslaught. But not a single PS3 title, let alone a launch title, did so. Which re-affirms my general sentiment that the PS3 launch software is looking very similar to the Xbox 360 launch software (in a general way): Lots of quality and variety, but nothing that grabs you as "This is it! This is the PS3 experience!". (My opinion of course). Expect DeanoC and nAo to solve this problem shortly ;) Anyhow, it is interesting that 2 Wii titles were able to break the Top 10.

5. New games generating solid interest. It kills me seeing great, innovative titles get ignored when the sequals gets all the attention. Obviously sequals (e.g. Splinter Cell) have a fan base, which sells mags and has a ready-made user base to sell to and build upon, but it often comes at the expense of newer titles. All of the top 5 are totally new. I am especially happy to see Bioshock at #4. Being a H1 2007 title it may not get the sales attention it seems to deserve. The developer has had a history of innovation and it would be great to see their unique twist on the FPS genre get some momentum to get Publishers to give the green light to other dev houses to think outside the box to compete. Obviously some of these games could flop and most will under deliver in some way or another (all do!), but I like the trend of seeing developers spreading their wings!

I don't want to read into this too much (probably already have), but I think this is a neat new thing by IGN. Obviously it is limited by their demographic of users and current events and whatnot, but it could be a nice tool to see what the readership, of the biggest game site around, is spending their time looking at.

6. There are a few flaws in the analysis. If as a future PS3 owner I am interested in Assassin's Creed, then currently most of the interesting articles on it are in the 360 section. If I am reading it there, that still only means I am interested in Assassin's Creed. Also, as a general games enthusiast, I like to read about games. Hey, eventually many games appear on many systems, so I don't have to limit myself to PS3. And of course, I'll be checking out the good stuff on the 360 also for the simple reason that I might still purchase a 360 as soon as games arrive that appeal to me. And of course there are a few million 360 owners in the U.S. who are eager to read about new games for their system, versus currently zero PS3 owners. ;)

But anyway, it's a nice feature that's somewhat overdue if you look at gamespot who've had it for years.

Something similar happen with the gamestats top10 (most popular)
But here Super smach bros is first and Smackdown for ps2 second.

top10yj0.jpg

I had a look around the IGN site and specifically checked out their PS3 tab. Worth noting that it's a little light on PS3 exclusives or anything remotely new. Basically I don't think there'd much interest if there's nothing to see (well, duh!). (On the other hand I would've thought that given the excitement a console launch can generate - esp with f*****'s - there'd be lots of casual and hardcore traffic on the PS3 and Wii pages. Hmm.)

Anyway, to wit. Their "Today's News" has had the same four stories for a while now. The "Newest Updates" column is a little better in that it has a fair % of PS3 specific news; but that's not usually the case (to me at least).

The "Latest Media" bit is, again, predominantly cross platform titles.

The 360 pages are better (how much better is up to you to decide!): Incl X06 (I'd guess this is a big draw) and *drumroll* Guitar Hero II Final Tracklist!!

Sounds like I'm making excuses, (maybe I am). Still I'd be interested to see if there's any change after the PS3 event on the 19th/20th(?).

I'm a little bit disappointed that there wasn't more on Gears on the 360 page. :(

If I wasn't so sleepy I promise I would've had a look at the Wii page too...

Actually, these kinds of lists seem very fickle. Here's the one I just saw right now on gamespot:

mostpopulargs10092006.jpg

that kind of polls don't mean nothing. thing change quickly, market is a very chaotic stuff it depend a lot of initial conditions.
If Sony have to loss its lead it will happen quickly, the same hapenned to the n64.
the system were late, but it was bigN,, and at some time costumers decide ok I don't wait any longer, it's not worse it, etc...
We had some clues, but this failure could have not happened.
Anywya I think this "minds shift" happen quickly something like a metastable situation (like your on the top of a Gauss curve you can stand but if you start moving you fall on a side of the other very quickly).

I don't think we can ,based on polls,say that sony is in such a situation.

If launch goes badly, to much supplies issues, hardware issues, os issues (see some rumors on the web), and thing can change, anyway that kind of shift remain very unpredictable.

I guess next week polls will tell otherwise, the for next next week etc...

that kind of polls don't mean nothing. thing change quickly, market is a very chaotic stuff it depend a lot of initial conditions.
It's not a poll, it's a tracking metric, kinda like a Nielsen television rating.

And it does mean something, especially to advertisers. Though, honestly, I would want to see what the front page of these websites had and compare that to the list; my first instinct is that that has a lot to do with the rankings.

On the other hand I would've thought that given the excitement a console launch can generate - esp with f*****'s - there'd be lots of casual and hardcore traffic on the PS3 and Wii pages. Hmm.
Honestly, i think the second someone takes the time to go to a video gaming related website, the are firmly out of the casual demographic.

Honestly, i think the second someone takes the time to go to a video gaming related website, the are firmly out of the casual demographic.

:)
Good point. I guess I can give up my claims to be a casual gamer now.

Mind you I suppose it wasn't IGN that led to that...

To be fair, X06 just happened so the interest for 360 and its game will be higher. I am not taking anything away from those games however because they are great.

At present there is lot of negative perception towards Sony. Apart from rumor sites Sony itself is responsible for that as they didn't had a exceptionally great showing and add to that higher price of console and very good X06. There should be no wonder that Xbox360 is leading in perception and interest. All this may change if Sony has a great launch. Still there is a long battle ahead. Xbox360 is one year old console while PS3 is not even launched yet. IMO a better picture will only start to appear around March 2007 as:
1 ) More games will be available
2 ) Console availaibility in Euro and other regions of world
3 ) Clearer picture of PS3's online capability.

It's not a poll, it's a tracking metric, kinda like a Nielsen television rating.
Of course, it only tracks the people who actually GO to their site... It does nothing when it comes to tracking the gaming scene as a whole. Me for example who pretty much never visits any of the IGN sites, for pretty much obvious reasons, do not register in their statistics.

Speaking of traffic through the IGN site:

IGN write-up of Famitsu TGS survey

Ideally this would've been in Sony Exec questions price of 360 & Wii but, well... y'know.

Some mildly interesting topics for discussions. Someone feel free to start a new thread if they want.

15.1% who said they'll purchase it (360) if appropriate software comes out

Can't wait to see what'll happen with LO and Blue Dragon.

IGN Top 10 for 10/16/2006

IGN Top 10 for 10/16/2006

Here are the top ten wishlist adds across all platforms for the week of 10/9/2006 - 10/15/2006:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
3. Assassin's Creed (X360)
4. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
5. Halo Wars (X360)
6. Call of Duty 3 (X360)
7. Gears of War (X360)
8. Guitar Hero II (PS2)
9. (Tie) Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz (Wii)
9. (Tie) Halo 3 (X360)

IGN Top 10 for 10/23/2006

IGN Top 10 for 10/23/2006:

Here are the overall top ten wishlist adds for the week of October 16-20:

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
2. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)
3. Assassin's Creed (X360)
4. Gears of War (X360)
5. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
6. Halo Wars (X360)
7. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
8. Halo 3 (X360)
9. Red Steel (Wii)
10. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (X360)

IGN's list limited to console only? I would assume BF2142 and especially the WoW expansion (money on it out selling every game this holiday season!) would easily match or top most of those on the list.

IGN's list limited to console only? I would assume BF2142 and especially the WoW expansion (money on it out selling every game this holiday season!) would easily match or top most of those on the list.

::cough:: PC List. ;)

The first PC game doesn't show up on the overall list until the number 60 spot.

The PC only list (seeing as none cracked the top 10):

1. (Tie) Half-Life 2: Episode Two
    (Tie) World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade
  2. Half-Life 2: Episode Three
  3. (Tie) Sam & Max -- Season 1 Episode #1: Culture Shock
    (Tie) Need for Speed Carbon
    (Tie) Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
  4. (Tie) Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
    (Tie) Warhammer: Mark of Chaos
  5. Crysis
  6. (Tie) Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
    (Tie) Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
    (Tie) SimTown
    (Tie) Medieval II: Total War
    (Tie) Supreme Commander
    (Tie) Star Wars: X-Wing
Basically what we already knew: The PC market is much smaller, especially among IGN's demographic which does tend more toward consoles anyhow. The good news is Assassin's Creed and RBSix:Vegas are PC titles and one could predict GOW and Halo 3 and Halo Wars would end up on the PC... eventually.

interesting- that 1up.com is completly opposite halo wars is at #9, resistance is at #4 Zelda is at #3 and FFXII is #1.

interesting- that 1up.com is completly opposite halo wars is at #9, resistance is at #4 Zelda is at #3 and FFXII is #1.

It is the top-ten wishlist adds. IGN is a weird site for going that route imho, but I guess wishlist adds are interesting for online gamesales through affiliates first and foremost. So it does have its uses.

Back