Ignore Feature?

The thing is I have very little patience with certain people who I deem as "not worth my time" (however cocky that may sounds). However, on the occasions that I do drag myself into an argument or debate with such folks, I end up going "The hell with this!" at some point, coz I just realized I wasted my time.

That's why the ignore feature is good for me. Saves me the time and prevents the odd occasions of losing my discipline. Coz I don't see those posts.

Reverend said:
I have very little patience with certain people who I deem as "not worth my time" (however cocky that may sound).
It doesn't sound cocky to me. I really wish there was an ignore feature because I've concluded that certain people often post false or at best highly biased statements, and I don't want to be misled by reading their posts. Sure, somebody always posts later to debunk their assertions, but it's a real waste of time and energy. There are fewer such people here than in any other forum that I've seen, but there are enough here to be frustrating. I can't remember all of their screen names, even when I remember to look at the screen name before reading a post., so an automated "ignore" would be nice. :)

I still think that not allowing those few people to post at all would save everyone and especiall the server, valuable bandwidth that could be used for important stuff.
If everyone ignores one guy, he will be free to post 20178398 messages, lock up the whole thing and give us all HTTP 404 messages for a long time, all because no one's seeing him.

OK, i have now realised the amount of JUNK i have just written and i think you should all ignore me for a while.... :D

I think we should be able to vote on people and posts, a la Slashdot.

At least that way people get some idea how stupid they are (myself included).

Also, the ability to 'hide' posts contents (not the fact that a post happened) would be useful. I think I've seen one BBS system that does this.

RussSchultz said:
Also, the ability to 'hide' posts contents (not the fact that a post happened) would be useful. I think I've seen one BBS system that does this.
That's pretty much what an ignore feature does. The post of the persons will be visible to you, but instead of the contents they posted you'll see a "<this person is on your "ignore" list, click here if you wish to view this message>" message in the body of their messages.

I'd like the user voting/rating system, I got a kick out of that at RageUnderground and haven't really belonged to a site that has done it since.

digitalwanderer said:
That's pretty much what an ignore feature does.
Could be what is commonly referred to as 'ignore' these days. To old timers used to usenet, 'ignore' would completely hide the post (including the fact that one was written).

The only time you'd see somebody on your list was when somebody else responded to the person in your list.

you see something like this....

Posted: 01.10.2004 11:10 Post subject:
You have added this person to your forum ignore list. Click here to view this post.

this is taken on one other phpBB boards i visit daily.
i have only one person on ignore there.

i think i would have only one person here. i really do like to talk to most ppl and exchange views and ideas, even if i do not agree with them, but doing that i am also forced into reading worst kind of idiocy i have seen on any of the boards i have ever visited, so "IGNORE" button would significatlly improve my beyond3d experience.

i think most people wouldnt use "ignore" to much, just couple of worst trolls. there is nothing worse then having stupid troll coming into pretty good argument and discussion and totally screwing it with his idiotic nonsense. specially when it seems that some trolls are like 24/7.

could we please have "ignore"?

EDIT:: lol, i read Russ's post with seeing digi's....oooops... :oops:

if you don't have the willpower to simply ignore the posts where you know you'd write invective-filled replies, maybe you're not mature enough to be posting here?

LOL.

it's not that. can u just pretend you dont see trolling as you scroll down to the last post, specially if there is like 5 troll posts out of 15-20 on the page?
you can pretend all you want, but in the end they do have some effect.... dont they?

do trolls care?
i was getting into personal fights, but i stopped that, i also stop myself into posting replies, cause frankly, there is no point into talking with that type of people.
maybe some of my posts are trollish, maybe someone thinks all of them are.
dunno.

but most of these "low quality" posts came as response to provocation by trolls. i am pretty...urm..flamable by nature, so i respond. :?
i acctually dont want to put more rubbish in beyond3d. i really respect this site, one of my favorites and thats why i would like to see "ignore".
gives me less chance to put rubbish here, rubbish that beyond3d doesnt deserve on its board.

there you go. :D
gl&hf

The Baron said:
if you don't have the willpower to simply ignore the posts where you know you'd write invective-filled replies, maybe you're not mature enough to be posting here?
It's a matter of convenience, kid. Maturity doesn't enter into it. Ultimately, it makes the site more enjoyable for the people that want it. If you don't want it, you don't have to use it. I'm pro choice.

Reverend said:
You guys have no idea how much I hate PHPBB right now.
Have you updated it lately? Quinn is updating EB right now and is loving some of the features on the newer version. (Slightly OT, but I thought it might be useful)

DaveBaumann said:
I assume he's using a beta of 2.2?
Pffft! No clue, I just work there...I'm not even a member of the "mod team".

You'd have to ask one of the boss-types over there, I'm pretty sure you know one or two. ;)

london-boy said:
even guys "u don't like" make valid points or at least point which can be debated in threads.

Well what I've noticed is that there are a few people who no matter how hard you try and debate with them they take an extremely elitist attitude never, provide facts, and and resort to name calling. Once in a blue moon they may provide some interesting insite but it is so rare it's not worth it.

So Rev, I take it that since you like the idea so much that when you get some free time you might see about such a feature for us?! :D Of course I understand there's a lot going on and this is most certainly at the bottom of the list of things to do. Especially seeing as this problem doesn't seem so bad (or even exist for the most part) in the moderated forums.

Oh and just a little something which I don't even know if it's possible or not, but if an individual could see how many people have them ignored, it might go a long ways toward getting them to self moderate themselves.

Killer-Kris said:
Oh and just a little something which I don't even know if it's possible or not, but if an individual could see how many people have them ignored, it might go a long ways toward getting them to self moderate themselves.

Now THAT would be cool, to have the ignored guy been told how many people are ignoring him. In the end he will see that no one's reading his posts and he will eventually stop it altogether...
It's even better than banning!! More Evil!
Like, "you are wasting your time, all your useless posts are being ignored so no one's reading them, yours truly, Dave Baumann"...

VERY nice... :LOL: ;)

This would be a definite boon. We've already lost several posters in the RSPC forum because of the behavior of certain members. I know because they msg me privately.

Natoma said:
This would be a definite boon. We've already lost several posters in the RSPC forum because of the behavior of certain members. I know because they msg me privately.
Just for the record you ain't lost me yet, I'm just hammered with some awful sickness today. :(

I'd like the ignore feature and I'd love it if it said how many people are ignoring you or if we could have a "Top 10 Ignored Posters" it would be even better. :)

Back