Ignore Feature?

ChrisRay

<span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
Veteran
How come Beyond3d doesnt feature an ignore feature for certain users? It really would save some time if you didnt have to read some posts by certain people.

Also for some reason this is the only site I have trouble staying logged into. :?

ChrisRay said:
How come Beyond3d doesnt feature an ignore feature for certain users? It really would save some time if you didnt have to read some posts by certain people.

Would love to see one myself, but ignore does raise issues. Just because you have a person on ignore doesn't mean they don't occassionaly bring up a valid point you might otherwise miss and you could wind up commenting on already covered material.

AlphaWolf said:
ChrisRay said:

Would love to see one myself, but ignore does raise issues. Just because you have a person on ignore doesn't mean they don't occassionaly bring up a valid point you might otherwise miss and you could wind up commenting on already covered material.

I agree, But its more than just that, Some people I'd just rather not see at all. I'm sure we both can think of a few ;) Course I'm too nice to name names. 8)

I'd rather have an "ignore thread" button.

There are dozens of "US Politics" threads which I'd rather not have cluttering up the "View posts since last visit" facility.

Dear god!! Why can't people just ignore the threads or posts they don't want to read?!?!
Do u have ignore buttons in real life? Just scroll past the bloody things!!!

ChrisRay said:

Also for some reason this is the only site I have trouble staying logged into. :?

Yup and you'd be the first i use the new feature on ;)

london-boy said:
Dear god!! Why can't people just ignore the threads or posts they don't want to read?!?!
Do u have ignore buttons in real life? Just scroll past the bloody things!!!
Well, not only do I ignore certain threads... I ignore certain forums here as well!

If I can read a thread that contains no posts by someone I don't want to read (i.e. the "ignore poster" feature), then I don't need to waste the extra/useless time it definitely takes if that poster's posts exists in the thread. It sounds easy to "scroll past such poster's posts in a thread" but it is annoyingly time consuming, believe me, especially if that thread has some interest to me, which means I'd need to see every post before I decide "Shit, why is this post here?". Of course, it just makes the thread that much more to my liking if it is "clean" (without posts that I don't want to even see, much less read, by posters I want to ignore).

It's a good feature, which I think is basically what you're saying.

jvd said:
ChrisRay said:

Yup and you'd be the first i use the new feature on ;)

Is this really necessary

Reverend said:
Well, not only do I ignore certain threads... I ignore certain forums here as well!

If I can read a thread that contains no posts by someone I don't want to read (i.e. the "ignore poster" feature), then I don't need to waste the extra/useless time it definitely takes if that poster's posts exists in the thread. It sounds easy to "scroll past such poster's posts in a thread" but it is annoyingly time consuming, believe me, especially if that thread has some interest to me, which means I'd need to see every post before I decide "Shit, why is this post here?". Of course, it just makes the thread that much more to my liking if it is "clean" (without posts that I don't want to even see, much less read, by posters I want to ignore).

I think it is not needed (at least not any more than a "leave freaking Guests out of the forum, for God's sake!" feature), and can cause problems in the form of repeating points which have been made but ignored.
I do not see one single reason why one should bother with such a feature, when at the end of the day, even guys "u don't like" make valid points or at least point which can be debated in threads. What happens when a thread made of people who ignore each other gets filled up of the same points over and over again, just because those people don't see each other!?
I just see this as a childish rant, "I don't like that guy and i don't wanna see him ever again!!"... I mean, come on...

london-boy said:
Reverend said:

I think it is not needed (at least not any more than a "leave freaking Guests out of the forum, for God's sake!" feature), and can cause problems in the form of repeating points which have been made but ignored.
I do not see one single reason why one should bother with such a feature, when at the end of the day, even guys "u don't like" make valid points or at least point which can be debated in threads. What happens when a thread made of people who ignore each other gets filled up of the same points over and over again, just because those people don't see each other!?
I just see this as a childish rant, "I don't like that guy and i don't wanna see him ever again!!"... I mean, come on...

If we just skim by the post and dont read it, We wouldnt see the point anyway. Per your original suggestion

london-boy said:
ChrisRay said:
If we just skim by the post and dont read it, We wouldnt see the point anyway. Per your original suggestion

That's why ignoring is stupid in itself!

I think its a great feature, Some lack the discipline to ignore others, and shutting them out is great. Expecially if it prevents arguments. ;) If there is someone I would care not to discuss with no matter what points they raise, It wouldnt make a difference anyway.

It takes two people to have a dialogue. The person complaining about "dumb" comments doesn't have to respond.

I've started asking people to add substantive comments to a thread, or stay out. It's seemed to work.

Natoma said:
It takes two people to have a dialogue. The person complaining about "dumb" comments doesn't have to respond.

I've started asking people to add substantive comments to a thread, or stay out. It's seemed to work.

Thats true, of course I did mention those like me whom have less discipline :)

Back