IGN Blog On Lair

Clipping happens in offline renders ALL the time. We're humans too, and there's no magical way to detect and stop it from happening other then watching your work frame by frame. Then depending on how obvious the flaws are, we either fix them and re-render - or not.

Pictures have no aliasing at all, can't be running in real time. Look again at the armor of the knight riding the dragon on the GDC screenshot, jaggies everywhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Clipping happens in offline renders ALL the time. We're humans too, and there's no magical way to detect and stop it from happening other then watching your work frame by frame. Then depending on how obvious the flaws are, we either fix them and re-render - or not.
I never said it proved it was realtime. Just decided to share that little slip I found.

Pictures have no aliasing at all, can't be running in real time. Look again at the armor of the knight riding the dragon on the GDC screenshot, jaggies everywhere...
Neither did the trailer last year, and it was fully realtime.

Neither did the trailer last year, and it was fully realtime.

I can't seem to remember a HD version of last year's tralier, in fact all I can remember is shakycams... And by this time I'm 100% sure that this E3 trailer is prerendered, though probably using mostly ingame assets. You can see on some textures with clear lines that the dragon models are relatively low-poly, but there's no aliasing at all which is just impossible with the hardware available today.

Back