IGN Blog On Lair

1080p... I'd believe it if the number of dragons close to the player were limited, and they were using a Crazy(tm) LOD system for the hundreds of dragons elsewhere and at the same time limit what objects get shaded/lit.
Heh, Rebel Strike does exactly that.

If any of you have been following the game, you can see the game has somewhat already went through a graphical change. Remember E3 2005, we saw very wet, shiny looking dragons. And during GDC/e3 we see much more realistic and textured dragons.
Well, they were shiny because it was raining duh. In that sense, the GDC one looks less realistic given that it was raining in that scene too, but the dragons weren't shiny.

I'm not really sure why people were so surprised, or questioned, over the image quality from the Lair media...I mean, from what I've seen on the 360, this seems entirely possible.

I think people often get confused between good art direction and good technical prowess :rolleyes:

I'm not really sure why people were so surprised, or questioned, over the image quality from the Lair media...I mean, from what I've seen on the 360, this seems entirely possible.

I think people often get confused between good art direction and good technical prowess :rolleyes:

good thing that Factor 5 got both ;)

I think it looks way better, textures seem much more detailed.
Nah, they're about the same.

BTW, this could be realtime:

la-demo-room-20060815032624621.jpg

Looks like the texture where the hand is, is affected by some bilinear/trilinear filtering.

Now I can see what that Factor 5 guy meant with the comments about draw distance between Oblivion and Lair.

Yeah, sure it is cool that you can see miles and miles ahead, but is that so technicaly demanding if there is almost nothing else than baren ground. In that regard I would say that Lost Cause and Far Cry are more impressive...

I think it's very inadvisable to talk about things like filtering quality and clipping based on a compressed, resized, non-direct-feed video.

Here's one that just hit the web today that is direct feed, 720p - still compressed obviously, though. http://rapidshare.de/files/29847931/Lair.mov.html . It came off an official disc being handed out with preorders in parts of Europe (thanks to Midas @ GAF).

Here's a sample of the vid's quality, except resized to fit my monitor's resolution (couldn't save out a 720p frame):

(It seems obviously offline-rendered to me, whatever about the status of the assets as in-game or not or whatever.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think it's offline rendered. It just looks way to good to be realtime. p.s..what's up with that guy stabbing everyone?

Back