If...

ndoogoo

Newcomer
If people from another world offered Earth technology too totally eradicate illness, disease and world poverty. The only condition was that 1000 humans must be sacrificed to earn the technology.

Would you accept or turn down the offer?

-edit-
The 1000 humans will be randomly selected.

ndoogoo said:
If people from another world offered Earth technology too totally eradicate illness, disease and world poverty. The only condition was that 1000 humans must be sacrificed to earn the technology.

Turn down, simply because the Earth couldn't cope if poverty, disease and illness was suddenly wiped-out. Something like that would have massive consequences both socially, economically and morally. Firstly, you would get a massive surge in population, which would create all kinds of environmental problems - how do you house and feed these extra people? How do you deal with the extra emissions? How would a world without poverty work economically? It precipitate a massive economic shift. How long would people live without illness? Could we cope with that? What would happen to all the doctors, nurses, drug companies etc. who depend on illness for their living? How would religious people cope with the idea of "people from another world" coming to our planet and acting like Gods? What would happen? How would our heads cope with it?

Diplo said:
ndoogoo said:

Turn down, simply because the Earth couldn't cope if poverty, disease and illness was suddenly wiped-out. Something like that would have massive consequences both socially, economically and morally. Firstly, you would get a massive surge in population, which would create all kinds of environmental problems - how do you house and feed these extra people? How do you deal with the extra emissions? How would a world without poverty work economically? It precipitate a massive economic shift. How long would people live without illness? Could we cope with that? What would happen to all the doctors, nurses, drug companies etc. who depend on illness for their living? How would religious people cope with the idea of "people from another world" coming to our planet and acting like Gods? What would happen? How would our heads cope with it?

Nice post but... You'd turn down a cure for all illnesses? I mean... really?

london-boy said:
Diplo said:
ndoogoo said:

Nice post but... You'd turn down a cure for all illnesses? I mean... really?

I really would, and I AM ill for real.

Presumably, the aliens would have a cure for pollution, overpopulation as well if they can cure disease, starvation etc. ;)

On the other hand, seeing as birth rates in the west has gone down with our materialistic standard going up, one would have to assume the same would be true for the rest of the world. With both parents working etc, there isn't as much time as before to make/raise lots of kids. :D

Is medical research a bad thing then? It results in people living longer using up resources and could result in over population. What if they find the magic bullet, think how this will upset the things.

Are humans better off with a poor quality of life so the money wheels can keep turning, drug/medical industies keep their jobs and help slow down the human population growth.

rabidrabbit said:
ndoogoo, do you know something we dont know.......... ???? :oops: 8)

Yes. The Crazy frog is going to be number #1 on the UK singles charts this sunday.

Ding di ding ding ding, baaaaaaaaam. :oops:

Mind you, the alien solution to human illness, disease and world poverty would probably be total eradication.
They need 1000 humans first, so they have material to experiment and test their new super killer toxin/virus on.

Eradication does the job, but do we really want to? :p

I volunteer for the anal probe!

Answering the question, I would, but only if I or anyone I know and love weren't among those to be sacrificed.

rabidrabbit said:

Why, r u bored with your buttplug?
Answering the question, I would, but only if I or anyone I know and love weren't among those to be sacrificed.

Selfish bastard.

An interesting topic would rather be:

If you had to choose between the end of any kind of disease AND human stupidity, and everyone you know, what would you choose?
Alone in a fantastic world with no diseases and stupidity or.... like you are now?

london-boy said:
rabidrabbit said:

Why, r u bored with your buttplug?

Selfish bastard.

An interesting topic would rather be:

If you had to choose between the end of any kind of disease AND human stupidity, and everyone you know, what would you choose?
Alone in a fantastic world with no diseases and stupidity or.... like you are now?

A human being without the "possibility" of being stupid is no more a human being.
Anyway, what if the aliens thought that being gay is also a disease? Would you say "Yes, do it" all the same?

Back