IE7 - downloading large files

MatiasZ

Regular
Is there any way to have IE7 stop downloading files to a temporary location and then moving these files to where I previously selected?

I just downloaded two large files (700MB each) at the same time, and after downloading the files were moved at the same time from the temporary location to the same download location, all within the same 5400rpm hard drive, which caused the notebook to be unusuable for a couple of minutes.

As well as probably some downloadmanagers you can install. But yeah, this method IE uses (and has always used) is fairly ridiculous. I also typically use Opera.

Yeah that is so retarded why IE does that. To this day I still do not understand the logic with that. I would still like to know how to tell IE to stop doing that. Surely there is a way...

Well, at least I'm not alone in this :)

I know firefox works better, but besides this glitch I'm fairly OK with IE7. I use both while developing though. If anybody finds out how to change that behaviour share it over here ;)

Regards,
Matias

I know firefox works better, but besides this glitch I'm fairly OK with IE7. I use both while developing though. If anybody finds out how to change that behaviour share it over here ;)

Regards,
Matias
and the reason you don't use any download manager is?!
I'm surprised someone who "develops" will insist on "fixing ie", instead of using better tool. Don't fix it if it works, does not mean use it even if its broken.

Regards,
Matias

I use IE7 almost all the time so I would like to know about the 'fix' though I highly doubt that kind of behavior can be changed.

I'm surprised someone who "develops" will insist on "fixing ie", instead of using better tool. Don't fix it if it works, does not mean use it even if its broken.

Any recommended download managers? I remember I used one eons ago called GetRight. Also wget I have heard of one but I am not a fan of command line especially on my home machine...we are in the 21st century after all...and from what I have seen wget is command line based ya?

Recently I use either FDM http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ or Flashget (last version is ok, just disable adverts and go "classic mode"), both freeware.
Also, I think everyone who uses IE7 should take a look at IE7Pro - http://www.ie7pro.com/index.php - it adds things like adblocker, scripts, mini-download manager (not very good atm) and others - all could be disabled, I mainly use it for crash-tab-recovery, very annoying to lose your tabs after a crash, which, unfortunately does happen from time to time (Vista 32b)

I actually use a download manager (although it wasn't used on the example I described on the first post), and is in fact the one you recommended on the other post, FDM, but I rather have running as little software on the computer as I can, that's the reason of my post.

I can understand that you think IE is broken, but I can't however see how the fact that I "develop" has much to do with my choice of browser. I work on lots of different computers a day, and most of them have IE7 installed and I'm not in the power of changing that, so I eventually ended up getting used to it, and apart from this and some coding annoyances with it not complying to everything as it should, I find it to better integrated into the system if it's running under Vista.

Recently I use either FDM http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ or Flashget (last version is ok, just disable adverts and go "classic mode"), both freeware.
Also, I think everyone who uses IE7 should take a look at IE7Pro - http://www.ie7pro.com/index.php - it adds things like adblocker, scripts, mini-download manager (not very good atm) and others - all could be disabled, I mainly use it for crash-tab-recovery, very annoying to lose your tabs after a crash, which, unfortunately does happen from time to time (Vista 32b)

Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at IE7Pro, although I'm not a fan of app "modifiers".

Back