Disable all addons/plugins for IE entirely, forever for all eternity - how?

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I was getting these enormously irritating autoplaying video ads on more and more sites lately, so I thought I'd uninstall adobe flash. I've been itching to do that anyway for months, the bastard never auto-updates anyway like it's supposed to and instead just nags incessantly whenever there's a new version out (and you know you should never let friggin flash get outdated or you risk getting hacked - THANKS adobe); I think that's because every time in the past I had to go to adobe's download page it wanted to install google chrome as well as driveby crapware; you had to remember to unclick the little checkmark box or else. They WANT to cram chrome down your throat so google will pay them more, that's why they broke their own autoupdater!

Anyway, there was no listing of flash anywhere in the programs and options window. Frig it, this OS install is only a couple months and it's already getting twitchy... I knew flash was there somehow anyway because IE displayed flash objects and whatnot, so I downloaded adobe's own uninstaller and ran it. You think anything happened? No way. Ok, so more googling. Found how to kill it off manually. Except, all of adobe's files had enlisted support of our dear friend Adolf "TrustedInstaller" Hitler. They were all protected by the operating system, what the frig! That's why the uninstaller couldn't delete them no doubt.

Had to jump through hoops to kill them off. Having to take ownership of my own files...I swear, if I didn't live so far from redmond you'd see me in the news, and that wasn't the end of it. I found this registry patch that gave the explorer right-click context menu the option to automatically let me take ownership, but it wasn't enough. Now instead of trustedinstaller blocking me from deleting my own files, I MYSELF was blocking me from deleting my own files! That's right. I needed friggin permission from my own user account - which I was already logged in as - to delete the file which I had just taken ownership of. How fucked up isn't that. So I had to add some BS permission first from within MS's worthless and extremely user unfriendly GUI and apply changes, and then it would stick, and I could delete the files.

Except now IE would bitch at me at every other website prompting me with that vile little yellow popup bar at the bottom of the window wanting to install adobe flash just when I had managed to get rid of it! Ok, so screw you, yellow popup bar. I google AGAIN, find how to disallow addon install requests, do the changes...only to be slapped with ANOTHER popup, now bitching that an addon for that webpage could not be run.
WHat the fuck, I don't give a shit what you could or couldn't run. Stop whining you god damn worthless piece of crap!

So, anyone know how I can make it not do that anymore. Thank you so much in advance, and so on! I can't be meant to be forever plagued by these frigging bastard complaints, seriously? Must be some way to just outright completely disable/disallow/kill off/nuke all plugin support in the whole browser, without having to resort to ridiculous measures like enabling privacy mode (which has its own drawbacks) or such. Or, *shivers-down-my-spine* run metro version of the browser?

Also, I would like to know why IE still lists flash in the addons section of the config window even though it has been uninstalled multiple times and nuked off the disk entirely (except not totally entirely apparantly), but I suspect even god and sonny jesus couldn't answer that one! (And no, enabling or disabling this non-existing version of flash makes no difference; IE still complains that it couldn't run whatever plugin addon it wants to run.

I can't be sure, but I think you can just add the -extoff argument to the IExplore link and that disables all add-ins, bar-none. Now, I don't think that shuts up the dialog boxes / complaints about them being off.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

If you dont want to use chrome, use firefox both of those easily let you decide what plug ins run

Thanks Albu.

Zed, I hear firefox is kinda crap these days? Memory hungry, buggy/slow and whatnot?

I dont care about memory, as I posted here recently, Ive had a new PC for 3 months in windows 8, Ive never used more than 50% of the memory, no matter how much shit I have open. Its frustrating, they need to take a leaf out of apples mac's book and use the memory. Same with performance theyre all about the same for the end user on my machine, OK gaming in browser you'll notice a difference, but browsing websites!.
Of course if your machine is not so powerful then perhaps both mem/speed is important.
Stability, all 3 seem OK, apple safari on windows is very unstable though.

Im going to install win 8.1 soon, I'll check out IE 11, see if theyve fixed the user interface, and see if it runs webgl

in ie you disabled flash yes ?
tools manage addons toolbars and extensions disable.

windows firewall, advanced settings, inbound, new rule, custom, next, this program path,
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil64_11_9_900_117_ActiveX, next
the rest is pretty obvious

do the same but advanced settings, outbound, new rule

on the subject of browsers
how to make chrome display more the last 8 websites
I want the last 50

Back