I wonder how long this is going to last

here is a quote from cnn.international

"God bless you, thank you very much," said some of the villagers, according to translations by Kuwaiti TV.

"We do not want the oil. Take it. Take it. But build the country. We want to live, we want to travel, we want to walk. It cannot always be the pressure of war, war, destruction, destruction," one villager said. "Enough, enough. We are fed up, fed up. Long live the soldiers."

[sarcasm]That must be a code talk to the peace movement that they are being tortured by the american troops[/sarcasm]

later,

Why does everyone, apparently including Iraqis, think we're after the oil? It's Iraq's oil. The president has tried to make that clear for months. They own it, and they will need the proceeds from it to rebuild their nation. We are not taking control of it.

I wonder how long it will be before Iraqi citizens start driving up to troops with trucks full of oil barrels as gifts. I can see the soldiers now... "WE DON'T WANT YOUR STINKING OIL! BE FREE AND BE HAPPY AND LEAVE US ALONE ALREADY!"

I wonder how long it will be before Iraqi citizens start driving up to troops with trucks full of oil barrels as gifts. I can see the soldiers now... "WE DON'T WANT YOUR STINKING OIL! BE FREE AND BE HAPPY AND LEAVE US ALONE ALREADY!"

:LOL:

On FOXNews they have been reporting about the Navy SEALs securing two large off shore oil rigs in the Gulf. According to a few different sources they questioned about this, the Coallition has already requested that the UN make a resoultion creating a trust fund in a way, if you will. The oil would be sold, and the money would be used for whatever the Iraqi people need, with a UN group watching to make sure there's no funny business. Then, when a new form of government has been established, the oil would be turned back over to the Iraqis. I hope they get this resolved soon. The Iraqis are exceedingly happy with us (from what we are seeing on the news) now, but what happens when the honeymoon is over and the oil money is tied up in UN beurocracy?

On another note...

Speaking of Iraqis being happy to see us and cheering and everything, did anyone catch the piece they were playing on FOXNews yesterday morning showing the troops outside a goat farmer's house? The huge convoy (the one with nearly 1,000 vehicles) stopped for a break in front of this shack, and the family all comes out, with the little kids waving their arms off at the troops. Then out come all these goats running around the troops :D . Imagine being prepped for a battle and instead swarmed with goats! Now that's one they won't forget! :LOL:

Crusher said:
Why does everyone, apparently including Iraqis, think we're after the oil? It's Iraq's oil. The president has tried to make that clear for months. They own it, and they will need the proceeds from it to rebuild their nation. We are not taking control of it.
Nobody is sugesting US want to steal the oil. People think US want a new supplier were they can buy oil.

My inference is that iraqs are saying something like: I sell the oil for you.

Back