I wonder how long this is going to last

Fred

Newcomer
Seems to me we're pretty much going in unchecked, and we are currently trying to ascertain if they are even going to put up a fight or not.

Either way, if things continue as such and we are blessed with using minimal amounts of force (and minimal civilian casualities), I think we can say that the ends justified the means :p

The lack of reports of mass surrender have me concerned that it won't be as quick as some had hoped.

I am still very leery about the taking of Baghdad itself.

What does give me confidence at the moment, is that (if US officials are to be believed) that there is virtually no communication going between the Iraqi leadership and its forces. It might be because Sadam is actually dead or incapacitated, or on the run, or whatever.

But it means that there's little "orders" coming down from the top, which makes it easier for troops to surrender without a fight.

At this time, the biggest threats seem to be autonomously operating pockets of opposition. Again though, the situation may be different in Baghdad.

RussSchultz said:
The lack of reports of mass surrender have me concerned that it won't be as quick as some had hoped.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81740,00.html

Coalition troops advanced freely across the desert into Iraq on Friday, as hundreds of Iraqi soldiers began to surrender -- further enhancing the theory that Iraq's central command structure was in shambles.

As coalition forces have moved northward they have encountered "huge surrenders" of Iraqi forces, the senior official said.

Of course, I'm as skeptical as you probably are about what "huge" means, or how much this is more or less psychological warefare....but there are in fact reports of lots of surrenders, and continued reports that US is in almost constant contact with Iraqi forces about surrendering.

Won't really know until it happens though.

"Hundreds" doesn't really equal huge, or signal that the Iraqi military is coming apart.

I guess last weeks "pre-surrenders" suggested something overly optimistic (at least I was optimistic, and I'm beginning to get the feeling it was 'overly').

Advancing freely isn't too suprising, considering they're crossing an inhospitable desert.

Similarly, Basra doesn't seem to be turning out to be the "happy liberated city" that was intimated in the news. The military there is putting up somewhat of a fight.

I'd love to be wrong, but my gut feeling is the cakewalk we had hoped it to be won't happen.

you forgot that part of Pres. Bush's message last week was for the soldiers to go home and not fight. Maybe whats happening is people just dropped their weapons and left to be with their families. At least that is what I think might account for some of this.

later,

Similarly, Basra doesn't seem to be turning out to be the "happy liberated city" that was intimated in the news. The military there is putting up somewhat of a fight.

I don't expect to know if a city is "happy and liberated" at all until it is at least completely secured and the war itself is over.

I'd love to be wrong, but my gut feeling is the cakewalk we had hoped it to be won't happen.

I don't expect cakewalk either. There WILL be at least SOME serious fighting. There will be loss of life and property.

On the other hand, we will achieve our objective.

On an loosely related note, if I hear the term "Shock and Awe" one more time from what appears to be a media "disappointed they have not yet gotten a show", I think I'm going to puke.

A very beautiful image.
1832225.jpg

Hope to see the flag flying soon all over Iraq.

later,

I'm more worried about that region erupting into a series of ethnic retaliations from the Kurds and Shiites after we overthrow Sadam's Sunni-based party. In fact, I think we'll lose more soldiers trying to maintain peace in Iraq after we overthrow Sadam than we will toppling his government. Of course this assumes Sadam doesn't pull off a successful chemical attack on our troops.

Hope to see the flag flying soon all over Iraq

Not I. We're having a hard enough time convincing people that its not a conquest but a liberation!

edit: John's statement snuck in there, forcing me to put the quote in so it doesn't look like I'm disagreeing with John. ;)

Related....

I just heard on the Radio some more talk on "Urban Warfare". The military officials saying how dangerous it is, and to expect up to 80% casualty rates with something like a full-out "urban warfare" situation.

That sounds realistic.

Military officials / epxerts said (at least, what the press is saying they are saying) is that the tactic is likely at first, not necessarily to go into cities, but to surround and contain them, and ultimately force the bulk of opposition to surrender "like they did in the first Gulf War". (didn't explain directly how though.) Though it's expected that some resistance will of course stay and fight.

What really got me irritated was the reporter saying, and I quote, "This might mean that the war won't be as quick and easy as the Bush Administration predictied."

Since WHEN did the Bush Administration do anything but CAUTION AGAINST believing any such thing? I'm sure they, as would everyone , would LOVE for this to be quick and easy, but they certainly have made no predictions on it...

I am still very leery about the taking of Baghdad itself.

I agree, Joe. There has been an alarming lack of resistence. Where are all the troops we have heard about? On the news, it looks like a ghost country. I just hope we have the sense enough to refuse the Trojan Horse when it's offered!

Just saw this gem on the BBC web-site:

1610: French President Jacques Chirac says France would not accept a US-British post-war administration of Iraq.

Errr... Jacques, matey, what the hell are you going to do? Invade to kick us out?

These French, honestly.

Well if it's Basra it looks like UK/US just basically drove in the place with minimal opposition. Supposedly the 7th Armoured Brigade (UK) has bypassed Basra and is moving deeper into Iraq.

As for happy and liberated all piccies I've seen from the southern regions show lots of cheering Iraqis (Shi'aa remember, they hate Saddam) as us troops wander past.

quick update, the flag was taken down shortly after being raised, due to concerns for the feelings of the locals.

later,

well i am glad we are showing some conern for their opinions.

Well we aren't actually going in to conquer the place though so there's no reason for it to stay up. I can understand putting it up in the first place, it's a tradition which goes back centuries and I can understand taking it back down again.

wasnt sure where to post this image, you might see it in one or two other threads. :)

liberate4.jpg

and dancing in the street.

liberate3.jpg

[sarcasm]I guess the Iraqi people really hate the US invaders.[/sarcasm]
[sarcasm]I guess the Iraqi people really are scared of us.[/sarcasm]
[sarcasm]I guess the millions of Iraqi people are dead from all the bombing.[/sarcasm]

I might start a thread with all the wild predictions from the antiwar posters here.

later,

Back