I quit smoking..

Sabastian

Regular
Yeah yeah, I know it isn't a big deal to most anyone here. Too me though it is. I've smoked for the last 20 years of my life. It is a big deal too me because I've never done it before. I'm into day three and have cut my smoking to 3-5 cigs about three times a day. That is quite an achievement for me considering I was a 25 ++ cigarette a day smoker. I'm confident that by the end of the week I will manage a full 24 hours marking the end of my smoking era. I was shocked at just how difficult it was to just cut back to where I'm at in consumption.

Constant queuing for a cigarette just about drove me up the wall at points. Sometimes I was really upset that I had to control not going for a cigarette. A certain degree of anger actually empowered me in that I resented the lack of self control I was managing. I used anger to help stomp the "cravings" a number of times. It became painfully obvious that the whole affair would not be a walk in the park. But I quickly developed some philosophical tool I could use to help with the problem. The "cravings" as people call them are not that at all from what I can tell. The "craving" is simply a lack of carbon monoxide and the increase in oxygen levels in the system. If you calm yourself you can realize that it really isn't a bad feeling at all in fact it feels quite nice. I actually think that there is something to the idea, its been quite helpful for me over the last few days.

The real problem comes though when the addiction of routine rears its head. Smoking is something you do and with "addicted" smokers it becomes apart of what they do. For example at work I won't even take a break because I have no reason now. Smoking was what I did on my breaks. Now I simply don't know what I would do on them.

I'm not saying that nicotine is not addictive but rather that the habit of smoking the actual act that is seems to be an even greater addiction of sorts. It seems with this perspective I've actually turned what smokers regard as a "craving" into something that actually feels good.. :devilish: Too bad more people are not able to realize that I think it makes quitting much easier. The habit is the worst of the affair and if you can beat that you have it made. Last night I tried to drink beer though, lets just say that my association with cigarettes and beer won't be attempted again for some time.

With the actual cessation of smoking it will mark a total metamorphosis for me. A year ago I began to change my way of thinking about life entirely. 3 months ago I embarked on a plan to change what I eat in its entirety. The effect was dramatic and still is very appealing. But the matter of smoking lurked there something I was unwilling to deal with. Then on this past Sunday after a little nap I simply decided it was time to quit smoking. I set the time frame for Sunday this week that I will no longer smoke. This is a very big deal to me.

Congratulations and good luck to you, it's one of the hardest things to do and one of the best.

It IS a big deal, it's a huge horking deal; and it's a good one. :)

Good on you!!
Hopefully the craving won't win over your will, which usually happens, and u'll be able to be smoke free until you get drunk and like it so much, u become an alcoholic!!
YAY!

digitalwanderer said:
Congratulations and good luck to you, it's one of the hardest things to do and one of the best.

It IS a big deal, it's a huge horking deal; and it's a good one. :)

Yes it is a big deal personally for anyone whom actually quits after 20 years of heavy smoking. Thanks for the acknowledgement. The first two days were difficult but now it seems easier to brush off the "go for a cigarette" attacks. Just have to find something to do. This being day 3 I'm confident I can achieve the goal. It isn't even a matter of trying anymore, I simply will quit.

I quit after 21 years and have had the damndest time staying quitted, I've slipped more than a few times when I stress out. :?

But I find the important thing isn't successfully quitting, it's never to give up trying to quit. If you slip don't beat yourself over the head, just try and give up on 'em again.

It might take a while, but it's worth it.

digitalwanderer said:
I quit after 21 years and have had the damndest time staying quitted, I've slipped more than a few times when I stress out. :?

But I find the important thing isn't successfully quitting, it's never to give up trying to quit. If you slip don't beat yourself over the head, just try and give up on 'em again.

It might take a while, but it's worth it.

I understand what your saying. The mentality that I'll need to never give up quitting suggests that I will fail. I began from the get go by saying that I am quitting.. not "trying" to quit or anything remotely like that. I've not used any quit smoking gimmicks at all .. except chewing gum.(not nicotine gum) I am quite firm in my belief at this point that I will not go back too smoking after I've quit. Therefore.. never giving up on trying to quit doesn't really apply. I'm asserting control over myself I won't go back to the way I was. I am not afraid of that.

Man, Sabastian, you're on quite the health kick here lately. You're not going to recognize yourself in the mirror if you keep this up.

Congrats, though, on quitting.

P.S. The new Covenant book should be out next week. Woot!! :p

John Reynolds said:
Man, Sabastian, you're on quite the health kick here lately. You're not going to recognize yourself in the mirror if you keep this up.

Congrats, though, on quitting.

P.S. The new Covenant book should be out next week. Woot!! :p

Ahh, thanks for that.. I'm definitely going to pick that book up. It has some nostalgic value already to me. I hope its good though, it would be disappointing if it were not. Something tells me he has done right by it.

Yeah, looking at my waist line right now it really is quite a change. The skin all over is much tighter, I generally feel a lot better about myself as a result of the change in what I consume. The quit smoking thing though will be the crown jewels for me.

See its threads like this that make me gently smile when groups of my friends smoke and get on my back fo rbeing a "pussy" and "not at least trying". I see how hard they will have to work to get out of that situation, and the courage it takes, and am glad I have avoided that situation.

Congradulations to anyone that can quit though.

EDIT: Posted while munching on a protien/creatine bar, drinking water and habing just returned from the gym. I am convinced there is such thing as health addiction, life is beautiful when you dont strangle it with smoke imo.

It's definitely not easy, but having quit smoking cold turkey after 10 years (yes I started at 13....), I can say the worst is yet to come in the form of psychological cravings. And I mean even after not touching a smoke for 2 weeks, you'll walk down the street behind someone who's smoking, or even see someone across the street sitting on a bench having a smoke. Ofcourse, if you have smoker friends it's even worse. Next will be the cold sweats, where your bodily will literally "sweat" the toxins out of your system (this made for a very uncomfortable 2 weeks at work in the freezing February weather...). My suggestion is to just drink ALOT of water at any and allt imes, and do something time consuming - I can't believe I decided to tackle Ninja Gaiden on Xbox (a notoriously difficult and frustrating game) during my withdraw! And if you're into it, the occasional joint now and then will help take the edge off without the feeling of 'slipping'.

What worked for me is to just be very, very stubborn about it. To smoke or to even not be able to handle your withdraw = failure, and failure is not an option. I think you already have the right attitude, so you should be fine.

Let us know how it goes!

ps: trust me, "cutting down" only makes it more difficult - either go cold turkey, or don't quit at all.

zurich said:
ps: trust me, "cutting down" only makes it more difficult - either go cold turkey, or don't quit at all.

Yeah, I can see what you are saying here. I think though that my intensions were not to have an extended period of cutting back rather it was too see how I could stand the process. I really surprised myself by cutting back and it has helped me develop a sense of confidence that I will be able to drop it entirely. I'm going to advance the quitting process now though as I can see some truth in what your saying here. Tomorrow I'm going cold turkey. It's going to be a ruff day. The cutting back part made going to the fraction of intake standable because you plan how long your going to be without. Almost like counting the hours and waiting. I was the worst sort of smoker you know up until the other day. I think cutting back for a very short period will show itself to have been a benefit. It won't be the shock to my system that it would have been otherwise. We'll find out soon enough I suppose. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Oh by the way, don't forget to post some shirtless pictures in a few months after the fruits of your diet/quitting smoking/gym/etc kick in :)

(LOL - sorry, I couldn't resist!)

It may not be "a big deal" to me personally, but that dosent mean I dont wholeheartedly applaud your efforts. Its quite the monkey to shake from your back.

I believe ive heard Mark Twain quoted as saying "It is easy to quit smoking; I've done it hundreds of times."

Good luck, and stay strong

zurich said:
Oh by the way, don't forget to post some shirtless pictures in a few months after the fruits of your diet/quitting smoking/gym/etc kick in :)

(LOL - sorry, I couldn't resist!)

heh, maybe another time. :oops:

For now however I've done what I didn't think I would be able to manage in the last 20 years. I've gone a full 24 hours without smoking at all.

To me this is quite a milestone. The day went by without any substantial problems. It looks as though it was a good idea to cut back for them few days. I mean really, going from 25-30 cigs a day to 3-5 at eight hour intervals did make a difference. I think going cold turkey on Sunday would have resulted in a very stressful failure.

Without the brief cut back and sudden cessation of smoking I doubt that things would have gone so well today. I recommend that model for heavy smokers but you have to go cold turkey before you loose your conviction that it is the right thing to do. Though I will thank zurich for pushing me past the cut back envolope. I was starting to feel I was slipping. You don't realize it but I think you've influenced that.

I'm confident that I will be able to avoid smoking again after today. Sure I've had a few occasions where I thought about going for a smoke.. but to me the benefits of quitting outweigh the concession of smoking, massively. I really do not want to smoke anymore, I think this makes the process much more easy as well. I am sure though that I will have plenty of temptations in the future that will test me. But I won't fail.

This all falls back on the cause of improving your personal health for me. Without that cause I do not think I would be so willing to do all that I have. I have now quit smoking this is probably one of the single most important events of my adult life.. A big pat on the back for myself. There are more then a few people who will be surprised about this. Indeed I'm impressed with myself for once. A major personal victory..

PS: Sorry for all the ra ra stuff, just can't help it.. I'm very happy tonight.

Congrats, Sabastian. Fighting those personal demons/habits and taking control of your life and health isn't always very easy.

John Reynolds said:
Congrats, Sabastian. Fighting those personal demons/habits and taking control of your life and health isn't always very easy.

heh, I've also found a way around the alcohol tobacco connection. Wine... I rarely drink wine so I really don't associate the after taste with tobacco. Anyhow it is a nice treat for me to be able to have a few drinks and celebrate the event without feeling the need to smoke. So cheers, life, is good.

Sabastian said:
heh, maybe another time. :oops:

For now however I've done what I didn't think I would be able to manage in the last 20 years. I've gone a full 24 hours without smoking at all.

To me this is quite a milestone. The day went by without any substantial problems. It looks as though it was a good idea to cut back for them few days. I mean really, going from 25-30 cigs a day to 3-5 at eight hour intervals did make a difference. I think going cold turkey on Sunday would have resulted in a very stressful failure.

Without the brief cut back and sudden cessation of smoking I doubt that things would have gone so well today. I recommend that model for heavy smokers but you have to go cold turkey before you loose your conviction that it is the right thing to do. Though I will thank zurich for pushing me past the cut back envolope. I was starting to feel I was slipping. You don't realize it but I think you've influenced that.

I'm confident that I will be able to avoid smoking again after today. Sure I've had a few occasions where I thought about going for a smoke.. but to me the benefits of quitting outweigh the concession of smoking, massively. I really do not want to smoke anymore, I think this makes the process much more easy as well. I am sure though that I will have plenty of temptations in the future that will test me. But I won't fail.

This all falls back on the cause of improving your personal health for me. Without that cause I do not think I would be so willing to do all that I have. I have now quit smoking this is probably one of the single most important events of my adult life.. A big pat on the back for myself. There are more then a few people who will be surprised about this. Indeed I'm impressed with myself for once. A major personal victory..

PS: Sorry for all the ra ra stuff, just can't help it.. I'm very happy tonight.

I know how you feel, and it's great that you're doing so well. I will admit that a little part of me died when I quit, and I am somewhat sad to see it gone, but quiting also opened so many doors for me, and almost a year later, I'm glad that they're there.

Just stick to your guns and stay stubborn. Reports suggest that, drinking a decent amount of water per day, it takes 7 days of not smoking to 'flush' the nicotine out of your body. Look to that as a goal for when the 'worst' will be over, and you'll be home free.

I know for me, when I quit, I had a bit of an identity crisis. I was always 'Ryan, the smoker.' I've since become heavily involved in the gym and with Kendo, two things that I couldn't have done while smoking a pack a day. Hopefully in a little while I will instead be, 'Ryan, Kendo Provincial Champion.' I think I'd much rather be hot and lethal with a sword than a poor, out of shape, stinking smoker :) Given enough time for adjustment to your new lifestyle, I'm sure you'll find something comparable (and it's a great feeling!).

The $$$ is nice too...

p.s. - 7 days from now or so, treat yourself to a bowl of your favourite ice cream, or something similarly sweet. You will not believe how much smoking takes away the sensation of taste. It is really a profound experience being able to taste food in all its glory... and yes, expect to gain some weight as a result LOL - atleast in the short term, from a mental health perspective, it is worth it!! Just don't get scared of getting chunky and go back...

Back