I have a business idea but no money. Anything I can do?

Rangers

Legend
I have an idea for a set top box, without going into greater detail. But I dont have a lot of money. Is there any possible steps I could go about turning this into reality before somebody else does?

I dont have the faintest clue where to begin..I am 100% certain though that such a device as in my head with big financial backing would be very succesful, though. I just figure it's something MS or Apple will catch onto in a few years, or perhaps a smaller company before that.

You can try to get financing, but you probably won't find any significant money without a prototype. IMO, your best bet is to raise enough money from family and friends to build a prototype. Then you'll have something to show potential investors.

Prototype is the most important part of the deal, only if there is something you can show you'll wake any interest.

$500 gets you a provisional patent (1 year to file real one) just make sure everything critical is in there.

Another $500 (spent on a lawyer) will get you a solid NDA/Confidentiality agreement to make suitors sign before telling them anything (theft of these ideas is huge).

Once those are done you have 1 year to get some preliminary funding, hustle out a prototype, find find second round financing and finish the patent (expect $10k for a solid patent).

(those are all US numbers)

Back