Howard Stringer keynote speech @ CEATEC

Shifty Geezer said:
I stopped reading this article proper when I relaized it was all postd before on this forum. Things about 'high-definition and high-drama' and 'twice the power of XB360' and the imprtance of Cell have been covered elsewhere already. Nothing at all of interest in the thread.

Well that's true but somethings didn't get pointed out in the other thread. Like Sony's push of the CELL chip and their deep care for HDTV. You can really get the feeling that a CELL chip will go in their next PSP handheld from this article.

mckmas8808 said:
Well that's true but somethings didn't get pointed out in the other thread. Like Sony's push of the CELL chip and their deep care for HDTV. You can really get the feeling that a CELL chip will go in their next PSP handheld from this article.

I know you're all wet from the excitement, but remember it's still PR. And coming from Stringer especially.
Not doubting anything, but i do use my salt-grain-goggles in these occasions.

mckmas8808 said:
Well that's true but somethings didn't get pointed out in the other thread. Like Sony's push of the CELL chip.
That did come up, because I remember talking about it explicitly as the only meaningful take-home point from Stringer's comments.

london-boy said:
I know you're all wet from the excitement, but remember it's still PR. And coming from Stringer especially.
Not doubting anything, but i do use my salt-grain-goggles in these occasions.

Hey can you stop painting me as a Super Sony head. You act like I go goggles for teh Sony!!! I just like their technology and ideas that's it. I do like other things too. And to Shifty my bad I must have missed it.

mckmas8808 said:
Hey can you stop painting me as a Super Sony head. You act like I go goggles for teh Sony!!! I just like their technology and ideas that's it. I do like other things too. And to Shifty my bad I must have missed it.

Hey i'm not painting anything! Just doing a little drawing here and there that's all. The full picture is easy to figure out ;)

My point was that this is still PR, whatever the guy said. End of.

london-boy said:
My point was that this is still PR, whatever the guy said. End of.

Your right, but the hard thing is what's gonna happen and what's not gonna happen. It's obvious that some of these things will unfold the way Sony wants it too, but which ones is the question. Will PS3 take out like he wants? Will Blu-ray be a success? Will Sony with the help of IBM and Toshiba actually make CELL a success for a processer? Will they ever drop the damn price of their HDTVs so they can actually sell one?:devilish:

I hope they do push for 70+% of their TVs in 2007 to be HDTVs. That would basically make the consumers buy them if the other companies do the samething. I wonder if companies like Samsung, Hitachi, RCA, etc will be doing the same thing around 2007? I think with the correct amount and quailty content and good prices will make HDTV's success inevitable.

mckmas8808 said:
Your right, but the hard thing is what's gonna happen and what's not gonna happen. It's obvious that some of these things will unfold the way Sony wants it too, but which ones is the question. Will PS3 take out like he wants? Will Blu-ray be a success? Will Sony with the help of IBM and Toshiba actually make CELL a success for a processer? Will they ever drop the damn price of their HDTVs so they can actually sell one?:devilish:

I hope they do push for 70+% of their TVs in 2007 to be HDTVs. That would basically make the consumers buy them if the other companies do the samething. I wonder if companies like Samsung, Hitachi, RCA, etc will be doing the same thing around 2007? I think with the correct amount and quailty content and good prices will make HDTV's success inevitable.

Well i expect that new TVs will start to be HD-Ready soon. So that if you go into a shop to buy a new TV, you'll only be able to get a HD one. Will take a while but it will happen.

And their HDTVs are kinda getting cheaper. Slowly. Kinda.

I am still a bit sceptical about making people buy HDTVs by just increasing their amount out there. I don't think that will work unless that includes some really serious price cuts. Right now those things are not affordable by "common" people aka the masses. And I don't see other companies following Sonys lead. If they see that they can stil sell loads of normals TV why would they stop, on the contrary, now they would have one less competitor to worry about...

I have seen other companies saying doing this in the future. They just never said a date. Platon it's inevitable. The same companies did it with VHS players. Remember that in America Congress still is deciding on a cut off date. And of course Sony wouldn't sell 70+% of there TVs in HD if the price wasn't right. That comes with the territory.

Platon said:
I am still a bit sceptical about making people buy HDTVs by just increasing their amount out there. I don't think that will work unless that includes some really serious price cuts. Right now those things are not affordable by "common" people aka the masses. And I don't see other companies following Sonys lead. If they see that they can stil sell loads of normals TV why would they stop, on the contrary, now they would have one less competitor to worry about...

HDTV prices in europe are coming down in price quite quickly. You can already find HDTVs for about Ă‚ÂŁ500. By xmas and next year they will be very affordable.
I already mentioned that when they first came out, widescreen TVs were much more expensive than HDTVs today. So i think we're getting a good deal.

In the US, HDTVs are already cheap.

london-boy said:
HDTV prices in europe are coming down in price quite quickly. You can already find HDTVs for about Ă‚ÂŁ500. By xmas and next year they will be very affordable.
I already mentioned that when they first came out, widescreen TVs were much more expensive than HDTVs today. So i think we're getting a good deal.

In the US, HDTVs are already cheap.

QFT.

Not only that, but (and this kinda shocked me) we actually get a proper standard of HDTVs (or somehting that's very very close to one), which is a much much better system than what's used in the US. Or at least clearer.

I've also already mentioned this, but in Europe, if you buy a HDTV (with the HD-Ready sticky) you're pretty much "safe" for the future because our sets only get the HD-Ready logo if they (1) can display true 720p or more, (2) have HDMI (or DVI with HDCP), which makes it future proof with Bluray and HDDVD movies, (3) component capable of taking a HD signal, (4) support BOTH 50Hz and 60Hz (saves SO much trouble it's not even funny) and i'm sure there's something else but i always miss it. If one of those isn't there, you know you're not buying a HDTV - if someone scams you into buying a non HD-Ready TV when it isn't you are protected and can return it anytime.

In the US, by contrast, a HDTV is just a TV that can display 720p and up. And the HDCP (HDMI or DVI) mess will hurt them big time.

So yeah, now that prices are decent and will keep on decreasing, Europe is AT LAST getting a good deal out of something.

What bothers me though is cheap HDTVs=bad HDTVs. What's the point in shelling out on higher resolution if the rest of the display, refresh rate, contrast, colour balance etc., is inferior to your SD CRT?

I'm not just waiting for a price drop, but for comparable cost and quality. I still don't like most LCD and Plasma screens I see.

Shifty Geezer said:
What bothers me though is cheap HDTVs=bad HDTVs. What's the point in shelling out on higher resolution if the rest of the display, refresh rate, contrast, colour balance etc., is inferior to your SD CRT?

I'm not just waiting for a price drop, but for comparable cost and quality. I still don't like most LCD and Plasma screens I see.

Heh that's another issue altogether. LCDs still have that black levels thing which i personally got over. Plasmas have other little things. But it's not like CRTs are devoid of flaws!
In the end, when fed HD material, all HDTVs will look amazing. The problem is that many LCD sets look a bit crappy when fed bad analog sources. It's all about living i the past or looking to the future. I can take bad analog images in exchange of amazing HD ones, some people just can't.

london-boy said:
Heh that's another issue altogether. LCDs still have that black levels thing which i personally got over. Plasmas have other little things. But it's not like CRTs are devoid of flaws!
No, but I guess I've lived with them all my life so have learnt to ignore them.

That's not a problem, when carbon nanotube technology is around. Carbon nanotubes juts sounds so geeky I've gotta have a TV with it no matter how bad the picture :p

Shifty Geezer said:
That's not a problem, when carbon nanotube technology is around. Carbon nanotubes juts sounds so geeky I've gotta have a TV with it no matter how bad the picture :p

Come on SED is coming out....

Shifty Geezer said:
'Carbon nanotubes' sounds cooler than 'surface-conduction electron-emitter display'. Case closed.

But SED is basically CRT-by-pixel, so it looks like a plasma or LCD but u get CRT-like images, more or less... u do know that... right? ;)
Besides they could just rename it Photon Nano Fusion Missile Image Enhancer Display. Sounds cool enough to me...

Back